Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'cookridge'.
Found 4 results
Would have been rude not to nip in here while in the area. Again visited with Paul 2129, great morning this mate. Really not that much left here now and what is still there to explore is in a right state. Still, some interesting things left to see and alot of peeling paint. Glad I seen what's left. Nice little mooch. Cookridge Hospital is located near Horsforth and Cookridge in Leeds, West Yorkshire. Designed and built in a Gothic vernacular style in 1869. It has provided cutting edge cancer treatment since 1952 but has been replaced with a Â£220m cancer centre at St James Hospital, which is now one of the largest of its kind in Europe and has about 1,600 staff. Originally known as Cookridge Convalescent Hospital it was built at a cost of Â£10,000 to provide care and to promote recovery for patients who had been treated at Leeds General Infirmary. The area of Cookridge was chosen as it was a remote location from Leeds, 'where patients could be cheered up among the bracken and pure air'. The urban sprawl of Leeds soon engulfed Cookridge. John Metcalfe Smith of Beckett's Bank in Leeds, donated much of the money towards the building of the convalescent hospital. As it was built in the days before the NHS, the patients had to pay for their own care. It cost approximately eight shillings a week for a three week stay but there was some charity, benefactors provided free beds for the needy. This was not an easy stay for the patients, they had to abide by a list of rules which remained the same until 1934. One of the rules was to 'obey the Matron and to perform all services in the house and grounds as she may appoint'. The hospital played an important role in the World Wars; the hospital was requisitioned for the care of wounded servicemen. It briefly housed the Leeds Maternity Hospital in 1939. In 1929 small scale experiments using radiation started in the treatment of cancer at the Cookridge but it wasn't till after World War II that the hospital embraced cancer treatment and patients. Leeds Regional Hospital Board took over the hospital, redeveloping the original convalescent hospital and building a new complex during the 1950s and 1960s. The hospital continued to be at the forefront of cancer research and developed new technology as well as pioneering better, more effective treatments which improved the chance of survival in patients. Finally the hospital grew too small, the outdated buildings could not support further growth so the hospital was abandoned in 2008 and sold. The Met Police used the hospital for training purposes for a while. 1 2 3/4 5 6 7/8 9/10 11/12 13 14/15 16 17/18 19 Thanks For Looking
Visited March 2015 A lot of the hospital has been demolished so not a lot to see now but still had some nice bits. History, The abandoned Cookridge Convalescent Hospital on Hospital Lane. Built in a Gothic vernacular style, it opened in 1869 to provide a place for patients treated at Leeds General Infirmary to continue their recovery. John Metcalfe Smith of Beckettâ€™s Bank donated a large sum towards the Â£10,000 cost and the remote rural area of Cookridge was chosen as an ideal location for recuperation. During the First World War it was requisitioned to care for wounded servicemen and assumed a similar role during World War Two. From 1952 Cookridge specialised in the treatment of cancer but closed in January 2008 to be replaced by a new Â£220 million cancer centre at the Bexley Wing of St. Jamesâ€™s Hospital. Thanks for looking
A little bit of history: "In 1886 John North gifted Ã‚Â£6,000 to open a convalescent home in memory of his daughter Ida. Chorley and Connon were the Architects, opened 10th May 1888. Robert Arthington financed a second hospital on adjacent site which opened May 1905, and took his name but was mostly referred to as Ã¢â‚¬ËœCookridgeÃ¢â‚¬â„¢. Ida hospital is the two crescent shaped buildings. The hospital site closed in 2008 and has been left abandoned awaiting demolition ever since." We only managed one of the 2 buildings but still full of peeley paint, decay, nice colours and a few features. Visited with my usual crew + a couple of not-on-this-forum types. A good mellow-ish mooch and worth stopping in if in the area. Thanks
OK this is my first ever report. So here goes nothing... Cookridge Convalescent Hospital was opened in 1869 to provide a place for patients who had been treated at Leeds General Infirmary to continue their recovery. The 10,000 cost of the original building, designed in a Gothic vernacular style, was met by a donation from John Metcalfe Smith, of Beckett's Bank in Leeds. The site was chosen in the then-remote district of Cookridge "where patients could be cheered up among the bracken and pure air", as a contemporary report noted. Patients paid for their own care if they could afford it but there were free places available thanks to donations from benefactors Ã¢â‚¬â€œ three weeks convalescence cost around eight shillings a week. People cared for at Cookridge had to conform to a list of rules Ã¢â‚¬â€œ not changed until 1934 Ã¢â‚¬â€œ including "to be obedient to Matron and to perform all such services in the house and grounds as she may appoint". Over the years the convalescent hospital was gradually extended, and during the First World War the building was requisitioned to care for wounded servicemen, resuming its civilian role after 1919. In 1939 it was again taken over by the Government and briefly housed the Leeds Maternity Hospital. Experiments using radium against cancer started on a small scale in Leeds as early as 1929 but Cookridge did not concentrate on cancer for another 20 years when it was acquired by the Leeds Regional Hospital Board. Officials quickly recommended it should be developed as a regional radiotherapy centre harnessing the latest technology Ã¢â‚¬â€œ a plan which required considerable adaptation of the original convalescent hospital plus a number of new buildings which were constructed on the site during the 1950s and 1960s. The relative isolation of Cookridge from population centres was a key factor in its choice Ã¢â‚¬â€œ following widespread air raids on Britain during the Second World War, there was concern about future bombing and the potential dangers from the escape of the radioactive materials used in high-dose radiotherapy treatment for cancer. Despite the cramped and increasingly-outdated buildings, it continued to be at the forefront of the development of new technology and pioneering better treatments with improved survival rates. The 20-acre Cookridge site is expected to sell for 13m amid plans to build more than 250 houses on about half the area, which includes three Victorian and Edwardian listed properties. Landscaped areas including Ireland Wood will remain untouched