Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'cornist'.



More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


Forums

  • Exploration Forums
    • Military Sites
    • Industrial Locations
    • Hospitals & Asylums
    • Public buildings,Education & Leisure
    • Underground Explores
    • High Places
    • Manors,Mansions & Residential
    • Religious Sites
    • Anything Else
  • Other Forums
    • Video Reports
    • Short Reports
    • Themed Threads
  • Discussion Forums
    • Just take a moment & say Hi
    • General Discussion
    • Latest News
    • Camera and Photography Advice
    • Websites and Links

Categories

  • About the Forum
  • Urban Exploring information
  • Photography and camera advice
  • Technical Help

Found 5 results

  1. This was the last stop on our trip on Sunday, was a little bit of a let down. History - Cornist Hall, built sometime in the early 1700s, is a former luxury mansion located in the town of Flint, Wales. It is a Jacobethan style brick and stone structure; although this term was not coined until 1933, and it was the birthplace of Thomas Totty, an admiral who served on the HMS Invincible and alongside Lord Nelson. The town of Flint itself, which derives its name from the Latin term castellum super fluentum (meaning ‘castle on the river’), was a major port and since the 1200s people have inhabited the area for the convenient shape of the land. In later years Flint became well-know for its close proximity to Liverpool, for naval and trade purposes; their main forms of trade principally involved fish and the slave markets. By 1884, the house was purchased by the industrialist, Richard Muspratt, and he commissioned John Douglas, an architect from Chester, to entirely remodel the mansion throughout. Unfortunately, Muspratt died before the house could be altered. The Summers family, who ran an ironworks business; John Summers and Sons in Shotton, were the next to take the house on, and they managed to proceed with making the much needed alterations to the building. By 1953, however, the ownership of the mansion changed hands once again, when it was passed to the Local Authority. After the Local Authority assumed ownership the building was modified internally for catering purposes. The Hall remained in the ownership of the Local Authority up until 1986, when the Napier family purchased the property. It was later redeveloped into a wedding and banqueting venue. Although it was a popular scene, the Hall was eventually converted into the local golf club’s club-house. Despite the change of hands, Cornist Hall continued to cater for weddings up until its closure in 2012. Since its closure, Flint’s local community have petitioned to save the building, in the hope that it will gain listed status and fall under the ownership of the local populace. In the past few years, since the closure of Cornist Hall, a number of local people have complained about the increase in anti-social behaviour and vandalism, suggesting that the former mansion is a magnet for such activities.
  2. Visited the hall with @woopashoopaa @Telf and vulex, very nice this one. Even though you here voices while inside the back part is still live and used for the club house for the golf club. Some nice features still remain.so here's a bit of history I managed to dig up and a few pics... Cornist Hall was once the residence of the Sumners family who founded and owned the steel works at Shotton on Deeside, five or six miles away from Flint. Today the Hall has been turned into the local Golf Club's club-house, and part of it is used for wedding receptions and similar functions. It was used as a restaurant for a short time but failed to make money. The grounds of the Hall form the nine hole golf course and park. Many men from Flint once worked at the steel works, today most have been made redundant. It seems slightly ironic that they should spend their time playing golf on the land of the man who was once their employer.
  3. The Explore This is one I've seen pop up a few times lately so thought I'd check it myself.. as a few have mentioned access isn't the easiest and whoever owns this building seems to have a fetish for anti-vandal paint.. its everywhere, inside and out! After all this I was a little disappointed with the inside of this building sadly.. peoples pics on the forum certainly make it look better than it actually is Fun and games with a mirror ball and a few torches certainly cheered us up though The History Cornist Hall, built sometime in the early 1700s, is a former luxury mansion located in the town of Flint, Wales. It is a Jacobethan style brick and stone structure; although this term was not coined until 1933, and it was the birthplace of Thomas Totty, an admiral who served on the HMS Invincible and alongside Lord Nelson. The town of Flint itself, which derives its name from the Latin term castellum super fluentum (meaning ‘castle on the river’), was a major port and since the 1200s people have inhabited the area for the convenient shape of the land. In later years Flint became well-know for its close proximity to Liverpool, for naval and trade purposes; their main forms of trade principally involved fish and the slave markets. By 1884, the house was purchased by the industrialist, Richard Muspratt, and he commissioned John Douglas, an architect from Chester, to entirely remodel the mansion throughout. Unfortunately, Muspratt died before the house could be altered. The Summers family, who ran an ironworks business; John Summers and Sons in Shotton, were the next to take the house on, and they managed to proceed with making the much needed alterations to the building. By 1953, however, the ownership of the mansion changed hands once again, when it was passed to the Local Authority. After the Local Authority assumed ownership the building was modified internally for catering purposes. The Hall remained in the ownership of the Local Authority up until 1986, when the Napier family purchased the property. It was later redeveloped into a wedding and banqueting venue. Although it was a popular scene, the Hall was eventually converted into the local golf club’s club-house. Despite the change of hands, Cornist Hall continued to cater for weddings up until its closure in 2012. Since its closure, Flint’s local community have petitioned to save the building, in the hope that it will gain listed status and fall under the ownership of the local populace. In the past few years, since the closure of Cornist Hall, a number of local people have complained about the increase in anti-social behaviour and vandalism, suggesting that the former mansion is a magnet for such activities.
  4. History “The longer it stays in the condition it is in, the reality of the situation is the more damaged the fabric of the site will become… We have seen what happened with sites like Denbigh Hospital – they were buildings that were allowed to fall into a condition of disrepair†(Cllr Aldridge). Cornist Hall, built sometime in the early 1700s, is a former luxury mansion located in the town of Flint, Wales. It is a Jacobethan style brick and stone structure; although this term was not coined until 1933, and it was the birthplace of Thomas Totty, an admiral who served on the HMS Invincible and alongside Lord Nelson. The town of Flint itself, which derives its name from the Latin term castellum super fluentum (meaning ‘castle on the river’), was a major port and since the 1200s people have inhabited the area for the convenient shape of the land. In later years Flint became well-know for its close proximity to Liverpool, for naval and trade purposes; their main forms of trade principally involved fish and the slave markets. By 1884, the house was purchased by the industrialist, Richard Muspratt, and he commissioned John Douglas, an architect from Chester, to entirely remodel the mansion throughout. Unfortunately, Muspratt died before the house could be altered. The Summers family, who ran an ironworks business; John Summers and Sons in Shotton, were the next to take the house on, and they managed to proceed with making the much needed alterations to the building. By 1953, however, the ownership of the mansion changed hands once again, when it was passed to the Local Authority. After the Local Authority assumed ownership the building was modified internally for catering purposes. The Hall remained in the ownership of the Local Authority up until 1986, when the Napier family purchased the property. It was later redeveloped into a wedding and banqueting venue. Although it was a popular scene, the Hall was eventually converted into the local golf club’s club-house. Despite the change of hands, Cornist Hall continued to cater for weddings up until its closure in 2012. Since its closure, Flint’s local community have petitioned to save the building, in the hope that it will gain listed status and fall under the ownership of the local populace. In the past few years, since the closure of Cornist Hall, a number of local people have complained about the increase in anti-social behaviour and vandalism, suggesting that the former mansion is a magnet for such activities. Our Version of Events After bombing through Wales, in our effort to conserve daylight, we eventually arrived in the town of Flint. It was a quiet scene, and we were conscious that we looked a little out of place, surrounded by local dog walkers and other country folk. So, to blend in a bit, and counter hunger and the long walk we’d created for ourselves from where we’d parked the cars, we [some of us] did a little berry picking on the way. We all survived, so I’m assuming they were edible. Once we reached the old Hall, it was heavily boarded up, so it required a little effort to get inside. As the history states above, the people in the surrounding area have become frustrated by the increasing illicit activity going on in the Hall. Having said that, they still failed to keep us out, and we were soon able to sample the delights Cornist Hall holds behind its wooden boards and ant-climb paint. For the most part, the building is quite stripped, although plenty still remains; including a working piano and an archaic record player. It would appear that bats have also taken up residence upstairs inside the building, which makes a pleasant change from fetid one-legged pigeons. Explored with Ford Mayhem, Meek-Kune-Do, The Hurricane, Box and Husky. 1: Cornist Hall 2: The Former Entrance 3: Racks and Stacks 4: Old Record Player 5: Record Player Close Up 6: The Piano 7: Old Furniture 8: Classic Fireplace 9: The Bar Upstairs 10: One of the Function Rooms 11: A Small Comfortable Side Room 12: Supplies in the Kitchen 13: The Kitchen 14: A Taste of the Upstairs Rooms 15: Bottom of the Main Staircase 16: The Clutter Downstairs 17: Downstairs Small Bar 18: Memorabilia 19: The Former Dining Room 20: Specials 21: The Dance Room 22: Another Bar 23: Weighing Up the Choices 24: Main Staircase Window 25: A Bad Taste in Curtains and Lampshades 26: The Main Staircase

Disclaimer

Oblivion State exists as an online forum to allow like minded individuals to share their experiences of Urban Exploration. We do not condone breaking and entering or other criminal activity and advise all members to read the FAQ articles about the forum and urban exploring in general. All posts are the responsibility of the original poster and all images remain copyright to the original photographer.

We would just like to thank

Forum user AndyK! from Behind Closed Doors for our rather excellent new logo.

All of our fantastic team of Moderators who volunteer their time to keep this place running smoothly.

All of our members for continuing to support Oblivion State by posting up the most awesome content. Thank you everyone!
×