Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'electricity'.
Found 3 results
WildBoyz posted a topic in Industrial LocationsHistory The New Plymouth Power Station, located at Port Taranaki, is a former thermal power station and was fuelled dually by both gas and oil; it was originally designed to produce power using coal until the Maui gas field was discovered off the coast of Taranaki. The plant was commissioned in 1974, to meet the rising electricity demands across New Zealand, and by the late 1970’s it became one of the largest power plants in the country. By this time the plant housed five identical units, comprising of boilers, provided by ICL of Derby (UK), and steam turbines, from C. A. Parsons of Newcastle (UK). For cooling processes, the plant made use of both seawater and hydrogen. At the start of the millennium, though, discussions surrounding the plant’s future were held, due to rising concerns around its environmental efficiency and the general age of the site and its technology. New Plymouth Power Station was later decommissioned in 2008 after the discovery of asbestos in the thermal insulation, although part of the site was temporarily reinstated in the same year due to poor rainfall, resulting in a shortage of power as lake inflows for other hydro power stations were insufficient to meet the general supply and demand. The New Plymouth Power Station, and others like it, often played a pivotal role in sustaining the supply of power across New Zealand in drier years. Our Version of Events We left the city of Hamilton just as it was growing dark, having decided that New Plymouth didn’t look all that far away on the map; it was only a finger’s length after all. Day rapidly transformed into night, but with determination and an incredible amount of caffeine, we pressed on. Despite nearly running out of fuel – risky business in a country that doesn’t know what a service station is – we survived and made it to New Plymouth in the middle of the night. But, that’s when the real adventure began. We had to navigate our way down the sea cliff, towards the beach where we were greeted by a mob of angry seals. Getting past them initially proved effortless, it was only on the way out that a rather large one caused Zort to shit himself and leap, much like an Olympic triple jumper, into my arms. Needless to say, we managed to avoid being eaten, and enjoyed another disappointing night’s sleep in the car. The explore itself, at first, seemed more like a catastrophic disaster zone, with bits of turbine lying outside the plant. Inside the situation was not much better, as pipes and ladders were bent and distorted and layers of think dust coated absolutely everything. Demolition is going smoothly it would appear. The highlight of the explore, though, was the control room. Having stumbled upon this, after feeling defeated in the mutual agreement that access was blocked, was an ecstatic moment; and to make the situation ever better, the controls were switched on! The sound of several machines humming softly in the background felt like music to the ears. Explored with Nillskill and Zort. 1: New Plymouth Power Station (from the clifftop) 2: Oil Burning Plant Internal Combustion Ltd. 3: Mangled pipes and valves 4: Into the depths of pipes and workings 5: Over the wall 6: Climbable tanks 7: 'Demolition in progress' side 8: Crumpled ladder 9: Very large ropes 10: Staircase leading to control rooms (eventually) 11: Walkway/observation platform 12: The carnage 13: The whole former turbine room 14: Empty spaces 15: Rusting barrel 16: The control room 17: One of the main control desks 18: Controls left on 19: Working control panels 20: Computer space 21: Unit 2 22: Smaller control desk 23: Additional controls 24: Machine with paper behind protective glass 25: Smaller machines with paper 26: Emergency radio 27: Some negative vibes 28: Many more switches 29: Evacuation alarm 30: Small monitor (one of several around the room)
skeleton key posted a topic in Industrial LocationsCheers for looking in
Visited this amazing place with Host (permission) as part of a short visit to Hungary When Kelenfold Power Plant started generating electricity in 1914, it was one of the most advanced plants of its day-though it was modernized and expanded several times since then to serve the changing energy demands of the surrounding districts.The buildings, designed and built by Kalman Reichl and Virgil Borbiro (Bierbauer) between 1927 and 1929, are protected by law, which means they'll never be demolished. Sadly, in this case this means that they aren't being touched at all, even for basic maintenance, so their condition has clearly worsened during the past few years. Only production companies benefit from this kind of perpetual decay with several apocalyptic movie scenes and music videos have been filmed at Kelenfold. Pics.............. Cheers for looking