TLR

UK Bank Bottom Culvert - Marsden - September 2015

Bank Bottom Culvert - Marsden

1_zpsakswxdp4.jpg

It's been a few frustrating days visiting many places, but failing for many reasons. Time to rethink the long drives and concentrate on some of my local venues I though. Like most I have a list, some places just to check to see if there is access, unfinished business at other venues and the odd place you keep on meaning to have a look at, but never do.

This place fell into the latter two categories; while looking at an old bugbear of mine I wandered past this culvert again. I remember seeing a report once and had thought about having a look myself, but got side tracked and it soon slipped down my list.

Roll on a few years, and after one fail under my belt today I decided to have a look at this as it was in the area. You can never tell what you'll find when you venture into a culvert, from stoopy crawls to huge passages, some just a concrete pipe, others fantastic brick or stone work. The depth of water is also unknown so I try and start at the downstream end as if I can get up something I should be able to get back down.

2_zpskuzilpca.jpg

First impressions were good, just over 2 meters high and I see light about 120 meters away where there was a small open section as it passed under a road. The further you went in the more open it became, the roof was made up of the floor of the buildings above.

3_zps0i5gtzmq.jpg

Looking back towards the downstream entrance, so far so good.

4_zps0xdrwhns.jpg

This is a 5 meter section which was open, the stream passes under a road at this point before being culverted for another 400 meters. Nice to have a bit of natural light to play with.

5_zpskbpavjf4.jpg

6_zpsabpoit9b.jpg

Time to continue upstream, the culvert remained about 3 meters high and 6 to 7 meters wide, plenty of additional strengthening pillars and beams were in place.

7_zpsn8mdqy9j.jpg

Picking your way up the stream was entertaining, sometimes the line to follow was obvious, but given the lovely tea coloured water once in the stream you couldn't be sure of the depth.

8_zpsfdb1tf9k.jpg

Large pools could be bypassed in the main, but the odd retreat to pick a better line sometimes made sense, up to now my feet had stayed dry and apart from the odd slip and slide things were looking good.

9_zpslc3xvq7v.jpg

10_zpswv6nunqq.jpg

The next major feature was a light well which opened the roof again giving some natural light.

11_zpso7rsy1lc.jpg

This also had a nice small waterfall and greenery.

12_zps7plyyeaw.jpg

Back into the culvert again and probably my favourite section, lots going on in here.

13_zpslabe1sj8.jpg

What I liked all the way along was the various pipes and troughs hung from the roof.

14_zpsuyg4gbeb.jpg

15_zpsuph85b2o.jpg

16_zpsn274vlq4.jpg

It was about here I had my first welly boot breach, shortly followed by a second one where I launched my camera and tripod onto dry land thinking I was getting a dunking!

17_zpsf5tsyrtx.jpg

Worth the wet feet for this part of the culvert.

18_zpsrzkay2to.jpg

This place just kept getting better, one of those places you smile at the start and finish with a huge grin.

19_zpsbgujsjwc.jpg

Every few meters there was something of interest, a small feature or nice section of stream.

20_zpsclosnhmx.jpg

Things were going that well I thought I'd go for a selfie, at least the camera didn't get a dunking!

21_zpshdbbz482.jpg

That was the first dunking in many a year, at least the water was warmish. The culvert just kept on being stunning, better still I wasn't too bothered about getting wet now.

22_zpse7hzfgvv.jpg

All too quickly the light appeared again, that was the end of this trip. Just a small plastic pig was to be seen hiding from our PM, I wonder how many pigs will be found in dark places from now on?

Looking back down the 500 meters of fantastic culvert.

24_zpscfloyefq.jpg

Well that's it. Lesson learnt is not to overlook stuff on your doorstep, this was one of the most enjoyable culverts I've done, surprised it hasn't ever had more traffic.

A cracking day out, making the most of a fail.

Cheers,

TLR.

Looks great this, as you say you never know whats on your doorstep sometimes, actually reminded me of something i need to put more effort into. Cheers for posting. 

Looks a nice mooch that one mate - Thanks for posting

Ill have to have a look in my local area for some slimey culverts :thumb

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By jones-y-gog
      First things first - this place is a death-trap. Simple as that. And it's quite likely to be worse now than it was when I went. But as I have a bit of an obsession about redundant old cinemas and theatres I left all common sense at the entrance.

The building still shows signs of its grand past but sadly any possibility of saving it looks pretty slim, although a Trust has been set up to try to preserve it and bring it back into use.

The four-storey building, designed by G. B. Rawcliffe, opened in 1894 as a music hall, before being converted to a cinema in 1938. It was last used as a bingo hall in 1995. 

^^^ Not sure about that!  
    • By shacklerurbex
      First vid upload for a while, although I have not stopped exploring.

Should be more videos coming up soonish

This gothic mansion was once owned by a doctor who released a mental health patient who sadly went on
      to stab an 11 yr old girl to death. I believe he was pretty much chased out of his home by locals (they may or may not of have had burning torches)
      Nice place though, there used to be more cars, but sadly there gone now.

The car is a 1964 humber super snipe

and yes I know I spelt doctor wrong on the vid title  god knows why

• By Albino-jay
      This was my first ever trip down a mine. So a massive thanks to @EOA for making it happen and another massive thanks to @monk and his daughter for being excellent guides. 

It was bloody awesome, I could've spent all day poking around the sheds at the top tbh. Underground however was just amazing. It's bloody big this place so a return visit over a couple of days with many more mine beers is a must. 

History copied from the ever faithful Wikipedia. Obviously. 

Maenofferen was first worked for slate by men from the nearby Diphwys quarry shortly after 1800. By 1848 slate was being shipped via the Ffestiniog Railway, but traffic on the railway ceased in 1850. In 1857 traffic resumed briefly and apart from a gap in 1865, a steady flow of slate was dispatched via the railway. The initial quarry on the site was known as the David Jones quarry which was the highest and most easterly of what became the extensive Maenofferen complex.
      In 1861 the Maenofferen Slate Quarry Co. Ltd. was incorporated, producing around 400 tons of slate that year. The company leased a wharf at Porthmadog in 1862 and shipped 181 tons of finished slate over the Ffestiniog Railway the following year.
      During the nineteenth century the quarry flourished and expanded, extending its workings underground and further downhill towards Blaenau Ffestiniog. By 1897 it employed 429 people with almost half of those working underground. The Ffestiniog Railway remained the quarry's major transport outlet for its products, but there was no direct connection from it to the Ffestiniog's terminus at Duffws. Instead slate was sent via the Rhiwbach Tramway which ran through the quarry. This incurred extra shipping costs that rival quarries did not have to bear.
      In 1908 the company leased wharf space at Minffordd, installing turntables and siding to allow finished slates to be transshipped to the standard gauge railway there.
      In 1920 the company solved its high shipping costs by building a new incline connecting its mill to the Votty & Bowydd quarry and reaching agreement to ship its products via that company's incline connection to the Ffestiniog Railway at Duffws.
      Modern untopping operations at Maenofferen. The uncovered chambers of the Bowydd workings are clearly visible
      In 1928 Maenofferen purchased the Rhiwbach quarry, continuing to work it and use its associated Tramway until 1953.
      When the Ffestiniog Railway ceased operation in 1946, Maenofferen leased a short length of the railway's tracks between Duffws station and the interchange with the LMS railway, west of Blaenau Ffestiniog. Slate trains continued to run over this section until 1962, Maenofferen then becoming the last slate quarry to use any part of the Ffestiniog Railway's route. From 1962 slate was shipped from the quarry by road, although the internal quarry tramways including stretches of the Rhiwbach tramway continued in use until at least the 1980s.
      The quarry was purchased by the nearby Llechwedd quarry in 1975 together with Bowydd, which also incorporated the old Votty workings: these are owned by the Maenofferen Company. Underground production at Maenofferen ceased during November 1999 and with it the end of large-scale underground working for slate in north Wales. Production of slate recommenced on the combined Maenofferen site, consisting of "untopping" underground workings to recover slate from the supporting pillars of the chambers. Material recovered from the quarry tips will also be recovered for crushing and subsequent use.

Anyway onto my poto’s

My first ever photo down a mine.

• By Serenity4
      After discovering this place,  reading a news article I decided to take a look. Theres not a great deal of history on this place other than the fact it was used as a home for ww2 soldiers after coming  back from war. It's been home to several owners of the years however the place has fallen into disrepair. The manor is currently up for sale. 

The explore itself went really well, after making our way through the grounds and finding an entrance, we were greeted with a stunning pool, with paintings on every wall. As we moved further on we found a sauna, bar, a superb inside courtyard, a huge basement complete with model railway and what looked like a full size tank made of wood, whoever previously lived in the manor was clearly very creative... The vast majority of rooms have Been emptied out however a few furnishings still remain. We made our way onto the roof when we noticed a man walking down the drive towards the manor, we noticed him walk around checking through the windows before leaving again. Must have been looking after the place and making sure nothing was damaged. We didn't get caught however so that's a bonus!

Since then we have been back however our original entrance had been sealed back up.

PHOTOS: 
      https://500px.com/serenity4urbex/galleries/pool-manor

• By Ferox
      Had a look at this place while in the area back in March. The cars where the main attraction for me and they did not disappoint. Excellent examples of cars left to rust and rot until they finally fall in on themselves. The rest of the site consists of stripped huts with some being more interesting and less bear than others. A relaxed and pleasant half hour. Visited with non member Paul.
      HISTORY
      Known as Prisoner of war camp 116 was built in 1941 and located in Hatfield heath, just outside Bishops Stortford.
      The camp mainly housed Italians until about 1943-1944 where it held German and Austrian prisoners aswell. It was known at one point the camp housed 750 prisoners
      The prisoners had a relatively easy lifestyle here (Unlike the English prisoners in the German POW Camps) and could do voluntary work in the near by farm land in Harlow, they were picked up by the Land Girls and each prisoner had an allotted farm where they would work at.

Thanks For Looking

More pics on my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/135648593@N02/albums/72157678466406434/with/32853941973/