GK WAX

UK Habergham High School/sixth form, Burnley - April 2015

History:
Not much on this place to be honest, just a typical high school. Opened in the 1950's im lead to believe and closed in 2010 due to burnley council mixing schools and putting two schools into one and having one name. The building has been derelict ever since. Plans was to demolish the building but im unsure why they havent gone ahead with it. If anyone has or can find more appropriate info then it would be greatly appreciated.

The visit:
visited with a mate of mine one evening and after asking the local teens how to get in, they pointed us in the right direction .The access was a nightmare and we did get spotted by some dog walkers but that didn't stop us, once inside we had a quick look around but night was falling so the pics wasn't really any good. all the classrooms had been smashed to bits and not worth taking pics of.

A few days later i went back on MY OWN to take better pictures in the daylight, i was sh*tting myself being in such a massive building on my own not knowing who could be inside but the buzz and confidence soon kicked in! i also used a different access point which resulted in injury on the way out. 

pictures as follows:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Thanks for looking
GK WAX

I thought they were knocking it down. But the secca guy said it was delayed due to something underneath can't remember what it was now.

6 minutes ago, Lavino said:

I thought they were knocking it down. But the secca guy said it was delayed due to something underneath can't remember what it was now.

thats the school behind, i think this is still here

Looks pretty intact that mate - nice find.

Those science labs took my straight back to period 5 chemistry on a friday :thumb

Remember reading something about a monks distillery under there somewhere and that's why it's not been demolished. Sure it was a paper aswell so info should be accurate. Can't remember exactly where however. Deffo needs looking at. Thx m8ty for post and pics 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By sj9966
      I nipped over last night to check the fire damage.
      The only building that was on fire is the St Mary's building (which was a nurses home not a care home as I have written in this report). It has suffered damage to the right hand side of the building but is not totally burned out.

There is a planning application submitted to demolish most of the buildings on the site including St Edwards. As far as I could see there has been no descision made on it yet.
      http://planning.northwarks.gov.uk/portal/servlets/AttachmentShowServlet?ImageName=253942
      I also found this on the net (link below), it gives the whole history and a detailed report on all the buildings. There is still some unseen stuff here notably the chapel within the former St Gerards Hospital which is now offices. If demo goes ahead I'm sure it will become more accesible. It will be a shame to see these buildings go as it's a great urbex site imo.

• Guest Dubbednavigator
      By Guest Dubbednavigator
      Hi All
      As much as we all hate to see our beloved shrines of dereliction, they all eventually either get ripped down or converted
      A lot of these are good, and a lot of them are very, very bad
      What are the best ones you have seen?
      My favourite has to be Nethernene on the hill. Located just down the road from cane hill
      Its a beauty

Hall

Admin

Water tower

• By jw94
      Not a lot about this place, I believe the bowling part shut down in 2009 and then the crystal maze part shut down in 2010. Oakwood own this place and have no plans for it besides letting it rot away. Whoever is trying to look after this place is attempting to keep people out. Heard about this place from a different site, easy to find, such a pain in the arse to get into as there's a very tight gap to try and squeeze through..

Thee maze is bigger than first thought, only uploaded a few pictures of that. 

• By jones-y-gog
      One from the vault. Did a quick search on this one and surprisingly saw very little in the way of reports - so thought I'd share my take on it.

Back in the day this place was quite infamous - mostly it seems due to the few 'bad apples' that lurk within the exploring community. Stories of looting and selling out to the media were rife. 

It is quite a special place for me as its the kind of place that's close to where my ancestors lived and I can imagine its the kind of place they would call home. Its located in a wild and isolated place, it would have been a harsh and bleak landscape to live in at times but in its own way stunning and beautiful. 

I visited twice in the early part of 2015. The house had obviously been left unoccupied a very long time until it suddenly appeared on the radar. The owners had become aware of this and tried securing it.  On my first visit I noticed a big new shiny padlock was in place on the outhouse. When I returned about a month later the whole door had been smashed. A little later all doors and windows were boarded up, leading to an unofficial renaming by one clever wordsmith as Shroud Cottage. It appears that also didn't deter those with no sense of respect in the search for 15 minutes of Facebook fame. 

Enough of the backstory and on with the pictures: