Sime

Hello from Derbyshire

Hi everyone,
Been having a look at the posts here for the last day or so it seems very friendly compared to the first forum I joined - everyone just enjoying each others posts. I must say the quality of reports here is very good.

I've been improving my photography skills over the last couple of years and have constantly been thinking about doing some urban exploration as its easy to become bored of landscapes and macro shots! I did my first explore last week and am just deciding where to go next.

Would happily tag along if someone wants a buddy for a visit around the Midlands! I'dappreciate the company myself too.
Hope to see you around the board,
Simon

Hi mate, welcome to the forum, plenty of stuff around the midlands to get stuck into, try typing some places into the search box and see what comes up near you :thumb 

Hi Simon, welcome to OS.

I hope you enjoy your time on the forum, any questions please feel free to ask. :) 

Hello mate welcome aboard :thumb

Hope you find some stuff near you and when you do chuck some reports up :)

2 hours ago, Hydro3xploric said:

Hello mate welcome aboard :thumb

Hope you find some stuff near you and when you do chuck some reports up :)

I will! Just trying to find the locations of some places I'm interested in, which is proving difficult, but I will certainly be making reports of everywhere I go :)

Hello Simon and welcome to the forum, looking forward to seeing what you come up with mate :)

Yeah just start pumping names of towns near you into the search box on here and on 28 and you'll get a nice little shopping list of places to go :thumb

Welcome to the forum , just give us a shout if you got any questions. I reckon there must be loads in the midlands that's just waiting to be discovered!

Welcome to the Forum

Like others have said, use the search box to find local places.

You're not too far from Leicester and Brum, which usually have plenty to offer in terms of explores and explorers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Urbexbandoned
      History

T.G.Green & Co Ltd originally operated from the village of Church Gresley, South Derbyshire between 1864 and 2007.
      More famous for their blue and white striped 'Cornish Kitchen Ware' produced from the early 1920's (then known as 'E-Blue') the pottery produced many hundreds of patterns from Yellow wares, Victorian transfer prints, colourful hand painted Art Nouveau & vibrant enamelled Art Deco patterns, Wartime utility pottery, avant garde Retro designs and many well known Brewery wares, employing up to 1,000 local staff at the height of production.
      Now, sadly, the old pottery site lays in ruins, the land under private ownership, never likely to ever see production again, the last of the South Derbyshire potteries has gone, although as it nears its 100th anniversary the traditional Cornishware is still manufactured and sold through a new T.G.Green & Co Ltd.

Explore

This is somewhere I have wanted to visit for some time so pretty pleased we eventually got around to doing it. Visited with @hamtagger. We got here and spent a little while just venturing round the site, there was a bit of activity from the far side but from what I could see there are various parts of the site being used. Not a hugely massive site but we spent quite a number of hours here.
      I really loved this place. Although a bit late on getting here and missing out on a few bits I have seen in various other reports there was still enough here to see and the decay is so much more established which made everything much more photogenic. Well worth a trip if you havent already. It was quite nice to see some finished products  
      So, on with the pics.

One of the companies they supplied to

Thanks for looking!
    • By Fekneejit
      A day out in the countryside, thanks for @hamtagger & @Urbexbandoned for the info

Built in 1875, photo above from 1905, it was the farm house for a 97 acre dairy farm, on a large estate in the Peaks.  Tiny little place, but some lovely stuff there.  Will be going back when everything's greener for some more shots around the farmyard too.

• By Urbexbandoned
      History 

I have done a little research on this place and not wanting to copy and paste as I usually do I have collated as much as I can to protect this little place. 
      Built in around 1875 this little farmhouse was a thriving business with cattle producing milk for locals. Since around 1901 a family moved in to the farm, the parents died leaving their children to run the farm. 
      The farm has been derelict for some years, I am not too sure how long but parts of it and especially the little trinkets & belongings have been preserved nicely. The farm land around it is still in use by local farmers who use it to keep their sheep and cows on the land. 

Explore

Visited this place with @hamtagger , thanks to @Judderman62 for the info on this place  
      Set in the beautiful Derbyshire countryside we parked up and set off on a little walk... amongst sheep and cows. They were no bother. Just before reaching the farmhouse there were 3 black cows looking at us. We went round a corner and I kept peeking out to see if they were still looking, they were. I was hoping for a stampede but they just looked gormless. 
      I liked this little place, full of charm and character and it was visible that this was once a home. 
      I originally thought when looking around that only men must have lived here, there were lots of things scattered about and not much seemed to have the female touch. It was only when I done some research on the place I realised that this little home was very cosy, a family home which back in the day would have in the daytime had that lovely freshly cooked bread and cake smell about it by a wife going about her duties. 
      Anyway, small but perfectly formed it wasn't a massive place as you would expect from the size of the outbuildings (they had all collapsed or were close to it) There was no internal toilet, that was the first thing I noticed when I looked around. The ceilings were low as cottages normally are. The rooms were a nice size too. A fair house for one which dated back this far. In particular I liked the windows, they had that farmhouse feel to them. Accompanied by dingy nets which had been left to decay over the years it couldn't get any better. What I loved most was that at one point this little farmhouse would have been someones pride and joy, a family home where the farmer came home at the end of the day after tending to his cattle to rest for the night before a new working day. Now it still has that feel to it but instead is occupied by pigeons & spiders instead of people. Personal items such as the vanity mirror and teacup (see HT's report when he eventually gets around to posting). 
      This was our first 'cottaging' experience and we quite enjoyed it. 

How the farm looked back in the day.. 

How it is today 

r

One of my report isn't the same without my obsession for awesomely hideous wallpaper 

Thanks for looking! 

• By Hydro

Day out with Antony
      Background;
      Ladybower Reservoir is a large Y-shaped reservoir, the lowest of three in the Upper Derwent Valley in Derbyshire, England. The River Ashop flows into the reservoir from the west; the River Derwent flows south, initially through Howden Reservoir, then Derwent Reservoir, and finally through Ladybower Reservoir.

The dam's design is unusual in having two totally enclosed bellmouth overflows (locally named the "plugholes") at the side of the wall. These are stone and of 80 feet (24 m) diameter with outlets of 15 feet (4.6 m) diameter. Each discharges via its own valve house at the base of the dam. The overflows originally had walkways around them but they were dismantled many years ago. The bell mouths are often completely out of the water and are only rarely submerged, often after heavy rainfall or flooding.
      The building of the reservoir resulted in the 'drowning' of the villages of Ashopton and Derwent (including Derwent Woodlands church and Derwent Hall). Ashopton stood roughly where the road to the Snake Pass met the Snake valley. The buildings in Ashopton were demolished before the reservoir was filled, but much of the structure of Derwent village was still visible during a dry summer some 14 years later. The narrow stone Packhorse Bridge over the Derwent was removed and rebuilt at the head of the Howden reservoir. The clock tower of the church had been left standing and the upper part of it was visible above the water level until 1947, when it was seen as a hazard and demolished with explosives on 15 December.

The Explore;
      Not wanting to waste a nice Saturday we decided to have a jaunt around Lady Bower and just happen to take abseiling gear... We were not planning this or anything promise A very fun day out and i wish to return soon.
      Pics;

Made (Nearly stood on) a friend

The res itself

Thanks for looking

• By Hydro

Explored with Raz, FatPanda & Jord - Pic Heavy
      A Brief History of Bakewell Chert Mine

Holme Bank was the last of two operational chert mines in Derbyshire the other being the Pretoria Mine, both at Bakewell. Access was from adits in a quarry at Bank Top and the steep workings extended beneath the road to connect with the earlier Greenfield shaft. The chert bed lies on a 1 in 3.7 gradient and the mine was subject to flooding in severe winters. Illumination was by mains electricity in addition to carbide lamps carried by the miners. Chert is a form of fine-grained, flinty silica most commonly found in veins in the uppermost beds of a limestone sequence. Chert was worked into tools in prehistoric times, easily shaped by chipping off flakes to produce sharp edges.The most useful role for chert was recognised about two centuries ago for the grinding of calcined flint, used as a whitening agent in earthenware manufacture. In 1772 the potter Josiah Wedgwood recommended Derbyshire chert as a major improvement over granite millstones, which left annoying black specks in the pure white flint.

The chert bed was on average 9 ft (2.7 m) thick, though up to 18 ft (5.5 m) in places. It was extracted by removing the underlying limestone so that the chert fell under its own weight. A hoist powered by compressed air loaded it onto flat wagons, drawn to the surface by compressed air winches along a 1 ft 6 in (46 cm) gauge railway. The ‘waste’ limestone was built up into substantial roof supports. Early 19th-century extraction at Holme Bank was from quarries but commercial mining was in place by 1867, when the site was known as Bakewell Chert Mine. Later it was also referred to as Smith's Mine, after the owner. The workings consisted of an extensive system of passages with eight entrances.

In 1925, 41 men were employed but 20 years later only 21 were at work. Approximately half worked underground. Between the two World Wars, mining broke out on the surface, enabling the chert to be quarried alongside limestone. In its later years Holme Bank met a considerable demand for poultry grit. The mine closed between 1959 and 1961 but a block-making plant, trading as Smith’s Runners, remained in operation, using existing supplies of chert.

In recent years the few underground visitors to Holme Bank Mine have included cave divers, using the clear subterranean waters for training purposes. Almost 10 years ago the Peak Park Planning Board granted permission for the mine to be opened up to visitors but this plan has so far not been implemented.
      Heres a Video link to some guys diving in the mine;

The Explore;
      So after an early start and a long trip to Birmingham of which i remember only about 15 mins due to being in the land of nod, we had already explored Birmingham Central Library and tried 2 other places, so on our way home Mr i love mines & cranes Raz suggested a mine!
      With low batteries and low energy we were rather unprepared but still we ventured on, arriving at the entrance (which you can't miss due to the tempreture drop of freezing air flowing up from the pit bottom) and doing a little sqeezing and we were in!

We quickly realised that the roof was in a dire state and in some places it was actually being held up by rotten wood and stones stacked on top of each other. This made me very very uneasy and we came to the decision not to go too far in without any disagreement.

Heres a few more of our adventures underground;

Thanks for looking

Disclaimer

Oblivion State exists as an online forum to allow like minded individuals to share their experiences of Urban Exploration. We do not condone breaking and entering or other criminal activity and advise all members to read the FAQ articles about the forum and urban exploring in general. All posts are the responsibility of the original poster and all images remain copyright to the original photographer.

We would just like to thank

Forum user AndyK! from Behind Closed Doors for our rather excellent new logo.

All of our fantastic team of Moderators who volunteer their time to keep this place running smoothly.

All of our members for continuing to support Oblivion State by posting up the most awesome content. Thank you everyone!