Sime

Hello from Derbyshire

Hi everyone,
Been having a look at the posts here for the last day or so it seems very friendly compared to the first forum I joined - everyone just enjoying each others posts. I must say the quality of reports here is very good.

I've been improving my photography skills over the last couple of years and have constantly been thinking about doing some urban exploration as its easy to become bored of landscapes and macro shots! I did my first explore last week and am just deciding where to go next.

Would happily tag along if someone wants a buddy for a visit around the Midlands! I'dappreciate the company myself too.
Hope to see you around the board,
Simon

Hi mate, welcome to the forum, plenty of stuff around the midlands to get stuck into, try typing some places into the search box and see what comes up near you :thumb 

Hi Simon, welcome to OS.

I hope you enjoy your time on the forum, any questions please feel free to ask. :) 

Hello mate welcome aboard :thumb

Hope you find some stuff near you and when you do chuck some reports up :)

2 hours ago, Hydro3xploric said:

Hello mate welcome aboard :thumb

Hope you find some stuff near you and when you do chuck some reports up :)

I will! Just trying to find the locations of some places I'm interested in, which is proving difficult, but I will certainly be making reports of everywhere I go :)

Hello Simon and welcome to the forum, looking forward to seeing what you come up with mate :)

Yeah just start pumping names of towns near you into the search box on here and on 28 and you'll get a nice little shopping list of places to go :thumb

Welcome to the forum , just give us a shout if you got any questions. I reckon there must be loads in the midlands that's just waiting to be discovered!

Welcome to the Forum

Like others have said, use the search box to find local places.

You're not too far from Leicester and Brum, which usually have plenty to offer in terms of explores and explorers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Wevsky
      This was a place we had wanted to visit for a long time so when it got mentioned in memory of DHL that a group of people would be getting together up here i jumped at the chance..
      So myself UrbanGinger SpaceInvader met up with PaulPowers and headed in ,then met way too many people to name if i could remember who everyone was..
      Nice to meet up with old and new faces..RIP dave

Sorry i didnt get round to the abseil pitch that was set up my head was way to spinny for that.Great evening was had ,Thanks to all involved
    • By urbex13

History

Pinched from other reports on here: Milford was named for its river-crossing, on an ancient route from Derby to the Peak district. Jedediah Strutt, a farmer turned hosier, recognised the potential of the site. The Inventor of the Derby rib machine, Strutt owned a Derby silk mill, and had set up cotton mills in Belper.

In 1781, he bought land in Milford to build a cotton spinning mill. It was one of a series of textile milles constructed on the Derwent between Matlock and Derby during the Industrial Revolution.
      These pioneering developments, which included the creation of new communities to house and cater for the workforce they required, are now recognises as being of international importance.

The Milford Mill complex eventually included spinning, bleaching and dying mills, as well as foundries, joiners’ workshops, a gas-works and a corn-mill. The Warehouse, constructed in 1793, was an early attempt by William Strutt, Jedediah’s eldest son, to design a fire-proof multi-storey structure. The Strutt's success transformed Milford from a riverside hamlet into a company village. They built a school, created several farms to supply produce for their workers and helped establish the village’s various religious and social buildings. The remaining buildings are just fragments of a much larger site, mostly demolished through the 1960s and 1970s.

More recently the site had been mixed industrial/commercial units, with part of the site forming an antique centre. Currently it sits empty with the forecourt used as a car wash on weekends.

The Explore

Generally I write something along the lines of things being a 'relaxed mooch' in this section. Having initially headed to Derwentside Industrial Park to see what was left of the Abru factory (A: Lots of rubble) I  I had a fairly clumsy entrance over some barbed wire at Milford in full view of the adjacent A-road. Cut my hands and shredded my jeans a little but nothing too disastrous. Inside it's all pretty heavily graffed and stripped. Not sure I'd go so far out of my way to go back.

After wandering around for an hour it becomes apparent that there are other people on the site. Given my ungraceful entrance I assumed it was security. Cue a 45 minute game of hide and seek.

Transpires there are six people congregated in front of the gate. The site is encircled by a river so there are no alternative avenues of escape. After waiting and watching for a further half hour my patience fails and I decide to approach.

Turns out one of the blokes was (I assume) an estate agent. THe look on his face when I, the scruffy, unshaven bloke with ripped clothes and hands covered in blood and rust came towards him was priceless. He was polite but asked me to leave immediately and I walk purposefully towards the gate. I try to open it for the most awkward couple of minutes of my life before an exasperated security guard has to walk over and do it for me. 

All in all not my smoothest moment.

The Photos

I.

II.

III.

IV.

V.

VI.

VII.

VIII.

IX.

X.

If you're anywhere vaguely near Sheffield and want to link up then drop me a line.

Cheers, 

Thirteen.

• By RiF
      Info

The last two operational chert mines in Derbyshire were the Pretoria Mine and Holme Bank Mine, both at Bakewell. Pretoria opened in 1902. Access was from adits in a quarry at Bank Top and the steep workings extended beneath the road to connect with the earlier Greenfield shaft. The chert bed lies on a 1 in 3.7 gradient and the mine was subject to flooding in severe winters. Illumination was by mains electricity in addition to carbide lamps carried by the miners. The chert bed was on average 9 ft (2.7 m) thick, though up to 18 ft (5.5 m) in places. It was extracted by removing the underlying limestone so that the chert fell under its own weight. A hoist powered by compressed air loaded it onto flat wagons, drawn to the surface by compressed air winches along a 1 ft 6 in (46 cm) gauge railway. The ‘waste’ limestone was built up into substantial roof supports. Between the wars the number of employees, which in 1905 totalled 38, fell to about a dozen and by 1964 was reduced to four, only two of whom worked underground. Commercial output from Pretoria ended in 1968/9 In view of the flourishing state of the industry, the reporter was highly critical of the 17 or 18 shillings (85-90p) a week paid to the hard-working miners. Some had 25 years’ experience and all worked long hours underground. In recent years the few underground visitors to Holme Bank Mine have included cave divers, using the clear subterranean waters for training purposes. Almost 10 years ago the Peak Park Planning Board granted permission for the mine to be opened up to visitors but this plan has so far not materialised.  
      Visited with lio112, diehardlove and J4M35_UK

Sorry for so few shots of outside, it was hammering it down and I desprate to get down the mine

U74A

Splitting! kinda unnerving

Stanton 1946

View the rest here;
      http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i18/Zoot337/Urbex/Derby%20Mine/
    • By Urbexbandoned
      History

T.G.Green & Co Ltd originally operated from the village of Church Gresley, South Derbyshire between 1864 and 2007.
      More famous for their blue and white striped 'Cornish Kitchen Ware' produced from the early 1920's (then known as 'E-Blue') the pottery produced many hundreds of patterns from Yellow wares, Victorian transfer prints, colourful hand painted Art Nouveau & vibrant enamelled Art Deco patterns, Wartime utility pottery, avant garde Retro designs and many well known Brewery wares, employing up to 1,000 local staff at the height of production.
      Now, sadly, the old pottery site lays in ruins, the land under private ownership, never likely to ever see production again, the last of the South Derbyshire potteries has gone, although as it nears its 100th anniversary the traditional Cornishware is still manufactured and sold through a new T.G.Green & Co Ltd.

Explore

This is somewhere I have wanted to visit for some time so pretty pleased we eventually got around to doing it. Visited with @hamtagger. We got here and spent a little while just venturing round the site, there was a bit of activity from the far side but from what I could see there are various parts of the site being used. Not a hugely massive site but we spent quite a number of hours here.
      I really loved this place. Although a bit late on getting here and missing out on a few bits I have seen in various other reports there was still enough here to see and the decay is so much more established which made everything much more photogenic. Well worth a trip if you havent already. It was quite nice to see some finished products  
      So, on with the pics.

One of the companies they supplied to

Thanks for looking!
    • By Fekneejit
      A day out in the countryside, thanks for @hamtagger & @Urbexbandoned for the info

Built in 1875, photo above from 1905, it was the farm house for a 97 acre dairy farm, on a large estate in the Peaks.  Tiny little place, but some lovely stuff there.  Will be going back when everything's greener for some more shots around the farmyard too.