Sign in to follow this  
Hydro

UK Cathedral Church of St. Marie, Sheffield - Jan 16

A cool night of climbing in Sheff with @-Raz- and a none member Butters

24203725482_5542a60154_k.jpg

Taken from the roof of Park Hill Flats

Bit of History;

The Cathedral Church of St Marie is the Roman Catholic cathedral in Sheffield, England. It lies in a slightly hidden location, just off the main shopping street in the city, but signals its presence with a 220ft tall spire.

St Marie’s was completed in 1850 and opened on 11 September. Building the church cost more than £10,500 – a huge sum in those days – and it was not until 1889 that the church was free from debt. The Parish of St Marie’s, which covered the whole of Sheffield, became part of the Diocese of Beverley when Catholic diocese were re-established for the first time since the Reformation in 1850. In 1902 a new presbytery, now known as Cathedral House, was opened. During the Second World War a bomb blew out stained glass windows in the Blessed Sacrament chapel. The remaining windows were removed and stored in a shaft at Nunnery Colliery. The mine flooded during the war, the glass sunk in mud and drawings for re‑creating the windows were destroyed, however it was still possible to re-install the windows in 1947. When St Marie’s was re-ordered in 1970, following Vatican II, dark woodwork was removed and new lighting and benches were installed. In 1972, a new altar, allowing mass to be celebrated versus populum, was consecrated by Bishop Gerald Moverley, auxiliary Bishop of Leeds. The church building has been a Grade II listed building since 1973.

On 30 May 1980 the new diocese of Hallam was created and St. Marie’s became a cathedral. Bishop Moverley was installed as its first bishop and served until his death in 1996.

23944100189_17b77e58e3_k.jpg

The Explore;

So on a cold and windy Sunday night, having just ot my car back from repair, it was decided that this needed to be done. Parking on Park Hill we made our way to the roof for a quick warm up which turned out to be a cool down as it was fking freezing. A few quick shots from the top and we headed on down, but before leaving we popped our heads into the service tunnels, but i have a video of this so i'll leave that for another report :thumb

Fast foward an hour, we are sat in McDonalds after having been foiled by passing pedestrians. Wolfing down burgers and sipping at those Vanilla Latte things they do which are simply brilliant! Enough about food. We arrive outside the church and its all quiet, so over the fence we go, pausing only on the other side for a man to pass by and we remain unnoticed. A few flights of stairs and we hit the roof, to find some people on the ground looking curiously at the fence, but they soon move on.

24312019495_afd6773fa4_k.jpg

Then came the punishing part, more ladders than i cared to count. Cold enough that your hards are numb within seconds and the higher we went the worse it got. As did the wind, as we neared the top we could feel the whole structure swaying beneath us in the breeze. Great fun.

From the top we noticed 3 figures on a nearby rooftop, closer inspection reveals them to be the guys who were checking the Cathedral out as we were on the roof! Whoever you were boys, a pleasure to meet you :thumb

And heres the pics;

24203726172_1aee6b0a2f_k.jpg

24203752112_af94084537_k.jpg

23683741154_44139d71df_k.jpg

24203752982_8d66cc276f_k.jpg

24285845906_1ebde8a433_k.jpg

24203799032_3feaf7a98c_k.jpg

24229515281_453164545e_k.jpg

23683811974_8f7d2d89da_k.jpg

24016397100_af5c4c63f9_k.jpg

Thanks for looking :thumb

Good to see someone else managed this one :thumb Nice one guys. It's a busy street isn't it, haha. We waited ages timing our entry!

Did you get inside the tower? I still haven't posted the pics yet, but the bells are cool in there. The stonework on the outside is fantastic too. 

DSC_0048_zpsfifoyodx.jpg

3 minutes ago, WildBoyz said:

Good to see someone else managed this one :thumb Nice one guys. It's a busy street isn't it, haha. We waited ages timing our entry!

Did you get inside the tower? I still haven't posted the pics yet, but the bells are cool in there. The stonework on the outside is fantastic too. DSC_0048_zpsfifoyodx.jpg

Damn missed the bells! but yes the stonework is great, unfortunately my hands were freezing to my tripod so i decided not to bother lol

Your not wrong, that street is litterally just off the shopping streets. Every oppurtunity ruined by yet another person lol

Just now, Hydro3xploric said:

Damn missed the bells! but yes the stonework is great, unfortunately my hands were freezing to my tripod so i decided not to bother lol

Your not wrong, that street is litterally just off the shopping streets. Every oppurtunity ruined by yet another person lol

I feel your pain. Although, it was considerably warmer when we did it :P  We seriously underestimated how busy Sheffield city centre gets though. Nice one for persevering. 

The timing of the clock was all out and we very nearly ended up inside that bell tower, right next to those bells, when they went off. Got pretty lucky... 

8 hours ago, The_Raw said:

That's wicked mate, some belters in there. What's the building with the tower?

Cheers Buddy and as Wildboyz said; Town Hall :ugeek:

12 hours ago, Jamie_P said:

Looks good man! See your photography's getting better;)

Cheers :thumb Aye just about as good as you now lol