Slyshotsimo

UK ABC cinema in wakefield

This cinema is in the town centre of wakefield and was my first location of exploration .

army nosing threw the skylight

IMG_2928_zpsawumgbqf.jpg

Looking out over Eastmoor

IMG_2949_zpss8bm0hww.jpg

Above the main screen room 

IMG_2944_zpsiltz50ay.jpg

IMG_2940_zpsycd19nwu.jpg

Looking down into the main screen room 

IMG_2935_zpsfel5kcip.jpg 

IMG_2942_zpstb6snja6.jpg

Acces stairwell 

IMG_2933_zpsabruulo8.jpg

I think this may be some kind of old style air con turbine unit

IMG_2958_zpsvnnuduhu.jpg

IMG_2964_zpsbvrv1utc.jpg

Flooded basement area 

IMG_2980_zps89xmkcml.jpg

Access corridors i believe were used by staff to navigate the huge building 

IMG_2967_zpsqgmekchj.jpg

We managed to find away across the floods to access more of the cinema

IMG_2988_zpsq99mfsjn.jpg

An old childs purse we found well mooching about 

IMG_2977_zpsfdcx75dp.jpg

Inside the main room as you can see its in very poor state due to the roof leaking over the years , i think builders or owners have stacked all this wood and scrap 

IMG_3005_zpsrofnbtti.jpg

More flooded areas we couldn't access 

IMG_3016_zpsya0ypmhj.jpg

Inside the projector room 

IMG_3031_zpsvzvavetw.jpg

Main room again 

IMG_3003_zpsdxwvdogj.jpg

The screen covered in pigeon crap

IMG_3010_zpsxx4kphjr.jpg

The lobby leading up to the main screen room 

IMG_3041_zpsq5yculxt.jpg

Another stairway with some scabby paint 

IMG_3052_zpssnrrtruq.jpg

Second projector room 

IMG_3062_zpsamwsv3sm.jpg

Stairwell leading into screen area

IMG_3042_zps2rjrw92c.jpg

IMG_3037_zpscllkbkqj.jpg

IMG_3072_zpscdw1zkze.jpg

Inside the main room upper balcony area 

IMG_3046_zps5mss0scz.jpg

IMG_3070_zps6xpg5gxv.jpg

Making are way back out 

IMG_3089_zpsbwzu5siz.jpg

IMG_3095_zpsdchfhmqp.jpg

Probably one of the last ever films shown here 

IMG_3039_zpsehluo98k.jpg

many thanks to dave ,slick and braden for allowing me along for my first venture ! was an experience and got me totally hooked .

i hope you enjoy my shots as much as i enjoyed being there taking them .

kev 

Edited by Slyshotsimo

yeah it is in pretty bad shape but I'm always positive its listed so they won't pull it down . apparently there as been a few grows bust in there over the years , but its a great place for my first adventure ... many thanks

The Cannabis Farm was next door in the old Blockbuster Store .......obviously unknown to the Asian Taxi Drivers that were using the building at the back of it  :-o

As for the listing, the projected conversion wont retain any features, but then nothings been done for years so don"t hold your breathe :sad:

we heard a few rumours that it was going to be a nightclub but couldn't get a license then its being turned into flats but its in such a poor state i can't see that happening . i have many memories of visiting here when i was a kid . think the last film i watched there was ,,,, super mario brothers ha ha

Whilst it does have a few remaining 'features' which is nice to see It's also a shit hole. What a mess, shame really considering how grand it would have looked in it's day. Well done on your first adventure :)

thanks mate the guys who i went along with have been on rather a few so I'm lucky really to have a few friends with at least some experience . 

we have a trip planned to wales on sunday hopefully weather permitting and I'm really looking forward to it . 

kev

Welcome to the forum @Slyshotsimo

Looks like you explored the place thoroughly which is good to see. A couple of bits of advice would be to perhaps leave the really out of focus shots out unless they are the only shots you got of something really significant. In shot 5 for example (Looking down into the main screen room) it's really difficult to make out what we're actually looking at. The other thing is there are people in a few too many shots here, 9 of them in fact. The odd shot with people to give a place scale is ok but generally speaking we want to see a focus on the building itself. There is however a thread for people pics here: 

Look forward to seeing more posts from you :thumb 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By yonaguni

this house always interested me..the yard was filled with junk..old cars..and other junk..it gave the appearence of being abandoned but someone clearly lived there

the area became prime real estate..mcmansions went up and taxes went up..i knew this houses wouldent last....i went by and saw it was finally empty
      the 1st floor was a neat gloomy  house

rooms that feel like a horror movie

all the lights hung poorly..surpised there wasent a fir from them..

see more of that in a bit

upstairs'

the upstairs was nthing but an attic...no bedrooms or bathroom..this was a single floor home..

basement

a wood burning heater...thats an old way to heat a house

the last thing still hanging that shows the personality of the owner

odd old stained glass

not sure what that is...

..the dead and prarie home companion

There are a few male voices caught inside one seems like another lanuage

• By Serenity4
      This place has been on the radar for a while now but never got the chance to properly take a look. The dome itself can be seen for quite a few miles across the surrounding areas. Not a great deal of information available other than it looks like some sort of water treatment site/reservoir possibly used by the MOD, given the land its situated on. It doesn't appear to be fully derelict either as you can still here the sound of running water and the grass seems to be trimmed.

The explore went as planned, few dog walkers here and there, other than that spent a little while looking around.

• By jones-y-gog
      First things first - this place is a death-trap. Simple as that. And it's quite likely to be worse now than it was when I went. But as I have a bit of an obsession about redundant old cinemas and theatres I left all common sense at the entrance.

The building still shows signs of its grand past but sadly any possibility of saving it looks pretty slim, although a Trust has been set up to try to preserve it and bring it back into use.

The four-storey building, designed by G. B. Rawcliffe, opened in 1894 as a music hall, before being converted to a cinema in 1938. It was last used as a bingo hall in 1995. 

^^^ Not sure about that!  
    • By shacklerurbex
      First vid upload for a while, although I have not stopped exploring.

Should be more videos coming up soonish

This gothic mansion was once owned by a doctor who released a mental health patient who sadly went on
      to stab an 11 yr old girl to death. I believe he was pretty much chased out of his home by locals (they may or may not of have had burning torches)
      Nice place though, there used to be more cars, but sadly there gone now.

The car is a 1964 humber super snipe

and yes I know I spelt doctor wrong on the vid title  god knows why

• By Albino-jay
      This was my first ever trip down a mine. So a massive thanks to @EOA for making it happen and another massive thanks to @monk and his daughter for being excellent guides. 

It was bloody awesome, I could've spent all day poking around the sheds at the top tbh. Underground however was just amazing. It's bloody big this place so a return visit over a couple of days with many more mine beers is a must. 

History copied from the ever faithful Wikipedia. Obviously. 

Maenofferen was first worked for slate by men from the nearby Diphwys quarry shortly after 1800. By 1848 slate was being shipped via the Ffestiniog Railway, but traffic on the railway ceased in 1850. In 1857 traffic resumed briefly and apart from a gap in 1865, a steady flow of slate was dispatched via the railway. The initial quarry on the site was known as the David Jones quarry which was the highest and most easterly of what became the extensive Maenofferen complex.
      In 1861 the Maenofferen Slate Quarry Co. Ltd. was incorporated, producing around 400 tons of slate that year. The company leased a wharf at Porthmadog in 1862 and shipped 181 tons of finished slate over the Ffestiniog Railway the following year.
      During the nineteenth century the quarry flourished and expanded, extending its workings underground and further downhill towards Blaenau Ffestiniog. By 1897 it employed 429 people with almost half of those working underground. The Ffestiniog Railway remained the quarry's major transport outlet for its products, but there was no direct connection from it to the Ffestiniog's terminus at Duffws. Instead slate was sent via the Rhiwbach Tramway which ran through the quarry. This incurred extra shipping costs that rival quarries did not have to bear.
      In 1908 the company leased wharf space at Minffordd, installing turntables and siding to allow finished slates to be transshipped to the standard gauge railway there.
      In 1920 the company solved its high shipping costs by building a new incline connecting its mill to the Votty & Bowydd quarry and reaching agreement to ship its products via that company's incline connection to the Ffestiniog Railway at Duffws.
      Modern untopping operations at Maenofferen. The uncovered chambers of the Bowydd workings are clearly visible
      In 1928 Maenofferen purchased the Rhiwbach quarry, continuing to work it and use its associated Tramway until 1953.
      When the Ffestiniog Railway ceased operation in 1946, Maenofferen leased a short length of the railway's tracks between Duffws station and the interchange with the LMS railway, west of Blaenau Ffestiniog. Slate trains continued to run over this section until 1962, Maenofferen then becoming the last slate quarry to use any part of the Ffestiniog Railway's route. From 1962 slate was shipped from the quarry by road, although the internal quarry tramways including stretches of the Rhiwbach tramway continued in use until at least the 1980s.
      The quarry was purchased by the nearby Llechwedd quarry in 1975 together with Bowydd, which also incorporated the old Votty workings: these are owned by the Maenofferen Company. Underground production at Maenofferen ceased during November 1999 and with it the end of large-scale underground working for slate in north Wales. Production of slate recommenced on the combined Maenofferen site, consisting of "untopping" underground workings to recover slate from the supporting pillars of the chambers. Material recovered from the quarry tips will also be recovered for crushing and subsequent use.

Anyway onto my poto’s

My first ever photo down a mine.