Sign in to follow this  
Ferox

UK Crawshawbooth Church. January 2016.

Visited this place with Urblex. Cool to get out with you as always mate :) Bumped into a couple of local explores here, we pretty much arrived at the same time. Nice to meet you lads :thumb A relaxed explore this one turned out to be around an interesting and untrashed church. Mold and damp where starting to take hold and the ceiling had collapsed in one corner of a room further exposing it to the elements. Getting up the belltower is mad. One hell of a tight and twisting staircase is that The bell is impressive when you finally get to it, a huge metal weight supported by massive wooden beams. We got to see the bell in St Saviours, Bacup later in the day and it was not a patch on this one. The big marble cross was quite impressive as well. Looking at other reports it seems that alot of the nativity figures have disappeared over the weeks. Christmas has been and gone after all I suppose :-D Finally thanks to Vulex for his help with this one :thumb

History

St John the Evangelist's Church is in the village of Crawshawbooth, near Rawtenstall, Lancashire, England. It is aredundant Anglican parish church formerly in the deanery of Rossendale, the archdeaconry of Bolton, and the diocese of Manchester. Its benefice has been united with that of St Mary and All Saints, Goodshaw. The church is recorded in theNational Heritage List for England as a designated Grade II* listed building.

St John's was built between 1890 and 1892 to a design by the Lancaster architects Paley, Austin and Paley. The estimated cost of the church was £6,800 but, because of problems with the foundations, its final cost, including the fittings, was nearer to £12,000 (£1,170,000 in 2016). It provided seating for 616 people. Financial donations towards the site and structure of the church were made by Thomas Brooks, 1st Baron Crawshaw of Crawshaw Hall. Because of diminishing numbers attending the church, and because of thefts of lead from the roof of the church, the congregation has decided to opt for the church to be declared redundant. The church was declared redundant on 20 February 2012.

Crawshawbooth Church (1)

Crawshawbooth Church (2)

Crawshawbooth Church (7)

Crawshawbooth Church (9)

Crawshawbooth Church (13)

Crawshawbooth Church (15)

Crawshawbooth Church (16)

Crawshawbooth Church (19)

Crawshawbooth Church (21)

Crawshawbooth Church (22)

Crawshawbooth Church (24)

Crawshawbooth Church (26)

Crawshawbooth Church (27)

Crawshawbooth Church (28)

Crawshawbooth Church (30)

Thanks For Looking :thumb

More pics on my Flickr page,

https://www.flickr.com/photos/135648593@N02/albums/72157661616514203/with/24242340649/

Edited by Ferox

Nice one mate, i like that :)

Just read a bit of history of the place too and it's a shame people will go to any lengths for a couple of quid of metal, even in a fuckin church. Kids these days aren't brought up the same, little cnuts :devil2:

:comp:

4 minutes ago, hamtagger said:

Nice one mate, i like that :)

Just read a bit of history of the place too and it's a shame people will go to any lengths for a couple of quid of metal, even in a fuckin church. Kids these days aren't brought up the same :devil2:

:comp:

Thanks HT :) And your right mate. Bring back the birch :-D  There was still some nice features left inside but the old damp was well setting in.

Cool set mate it's a nice little church this. We went all way up the stairs past the bell and came out on the roof.

1 minute ago, Lavino said:

Cool set mate it's a nice little church this. We went all way up the stairs past the bell and came out on the roof.

Cheers Lavino :) Came back down after the bell. Had enough of that staircase mate. I was glad to be down :-o

Oh really nice to see again. Nice pics and that stairwell holy fuckballs it was a pain lmfao. Just one small worry seems statues have gone?  ethier way nice pics and report.

Cool report there :thumb

Big shame about the water getting in, such an amazing building with so many beautiful features.

Finally got to see it recently after a long wait and 2 unsuccessful trips. Nice old fashioned bakery nearby , can recommend the steak & ale pie!

19 hours ago, Vulex said:

Nice to see your report pal. :)

Cheers bud. And thanks again for your help with this one :thumb

18 hours ago, coolboyslim said:

Oh really nice to see again. Nice pics and that stairwell holy fuckballs it was a pain lmfao. Just one small worry seems statues have gone?  ethier way nice pics and report.

Thanks CBS :thumbTotally agree on the spiral stairs bud, they seemed to go for ever :-o Yep, most of the statues seemed to have disappeared unfortunately now mate. These are the only three left that I could see.

1 hour ago, jones-y-gog said:

Cool report there :thumb

Big shame about the water getting in, such an amazing building with so many beautiful features.

Finally got to see it recently after a long wait and 2 unsuccessful trips. Nice old fashioned bakery nearby , can recommend the steak & ale pie!

Cheers mate :thumb With you on the state the place is getting bud. Defo on the decline which is, indeed a shame.

Glad you got to see it recently also mate :) Think I seen that bakery that your on about. I remember eating a shite sandwich in the car and saying to Urblex that I wished the pie shop we where in front of was open :-D

12 hours ago, coolboyslim said:

@jones-y-gog glad you got to see it m8ty. Definitely worth it. @Ferox thanks for update on the statues. Some people can't just leave stuff even in a church. Sad days.

I can confirm that Mr blobby is still there :wink: