Urbexbandoned

UK South Yorkshire Asylum Chapel - Wadsley - February 2016

History

A bit of a mish mash as I couldn't find much just on the Chapel but this is what I did find. 

After its closure, the land of the former Hospital was purchased for residential development by Bloor Homes. It was sold off to various other developers such as Redrow, Barratt, Harron Homes, Wimpey and PJ Livesey although Bloor’s were the major house builder for the new Wadsley Park estate which was constructed on the site of the old hospital. The Wadsley Park village consists of a mixture of houses and apartments of various sizes. Some of the old hospital structures were designated as listed buildings, the main admin block (the clock tower), Kingswood ward, the church and the porters lodge were all grade II listed and could not be demolished with the rest of the hospital.

The administration building and clock tower were converted into 38 luxury apartments by Urbani after permission to demolish the building was denied and the building is now known as Middlewood Lodge. The Kingswood ward has been converted into 85 apartments by developers PJ Livesey and is known as Kingswood Hall. The porter's lodge on Middlewood Road has been refurbished and is now a nursery. The hospital church has been derelict for many years, it held its last service on 6 November 1996 to mark the closure of the hospital. In March 2012 plans were submitted by architectural design consultancy Coda Studios that may see the imposing Victorian church converted into a mixture of town houses and apartments. The scheme which needs approval from Sheffield City Council also contains proposals for a selection of partially underground eco-friendly bungalows beneath the building.

The Explore 

Visited with @hamtagger , we had allready been on one explore in Sheffield and were running out of daylight hours so needed one that wasn't going to take long. I had seen the post @Paulpowers had posted on this little chapel and liked the look of it. 

Not much left to it really but what I did see was nice. The initial thought I had when seeing it was it looked like a really gloomy church. Almost hidden beneath greenery you could see the spire and top poking out as we approached. Entry was relatively easy. The ground had been dug out inside with channels in between each Column. I am assuming they do this to see what the foundations are like. Actually I didn't assume this. HT told me and I just thought it would make me a little more intelligent haha! 

The structure is pretty sound, quite sad to see how much graf and vandalism this place has had. It's always quite sad to see someone deface the 'house of god'. Not that I am religious or anything but more respectful if anything. 

There are some wonderful stained glass windows in here, especially the one which was placed in there just after World War II. Anyway, not much left to say on this place. 

1: The Exterior 

24153781103_da111f5f3f_c.jpg

2: The inside looking back from the Altar 

24780216685_c73800b767_c.jpg

3: 

24412537429_4207c78c68_c.jpg

4: 

24412539119_3c10a6200d_c.jpg

5: The right Transept windows 

24686697521_743e704c8a_c.jpg

6: The remains of the Organ 

24484671630_25b6d4deba_c.jpg

7: The Original flooring, mostly covered in Pigeon Shit 

24153355073_bbc25862f8_c.jpg

8: One of the few remaining Stained Glass windows 

24152033494_5b541173d7_c.jpg

9: The part I liked the most, still 100% intact too. A little slice of history

24152031594_b6898784dc_c.jpg

Some nice features in there! good shots and i like the stained glass windows, dont see many of them intact :thumb

Thanks lads, yeah such a shame to see a church in this kind of state but the mindless individuals will have karma bite them on the ass one day. I love a good church too :)

I do like that window in the last pic with the bit about the mental hospital, i tried to get a snap of that too but my lens is wank for stuff light that, correction I am wank at using the camera :D 

Enjoyed this little mini-mooch :)

:comp:

13 hours ago, Urbexbandoned said:

the mindless individuals will have karma bite them on the ass one day.

We can only hope :thumb

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Lavino
      Visited with @albino jay and @GK-WAX and thanks again to jay for doing the driving and I also stole your history mate because I couldn’t find any hope you don’t mind. We was passing by the mill on our way home so popped in for a look. And glad we did I like these old mills. And the demo team were already on site so don’t know how long it has left to stand. So here’s the history and pics..

Steam-powered worsted-spinning mill built around 1850 on Black Brook.

Owners and tenants of the mills have included
      James Nutton & Company [1863]
      John Horsfall & Sons Limited [1896]
      F. K. Adcock & Company [1936]
      Part of the Mills are still standing though no longer used.
      The mill had a 170 ft tall chimney which was struck by lightning in 1967. The chimney was reduced in height – to avoid further strikes – and was finally demolished in March/April 1992

The majority of the Mills were demolished in 2017.

The mill by Lavino lavino[/

The mill by Lavino lavino, on Flickr

url=https://flic.kr/p/H2Q9pV]The mill by Lavino lavino, on Flickr

• By yonaguni

this house always interested me..the yard was filled with junk..old cars..and other junk..it gave the appearence of being abandoned but someone clearly lived there

the area became prime real estate..mcmansions went up and taxes went up..i knew this houses wouldent last....i went by and saw it was finally empty
      the 1st floor was a neat gloomy  house

rooms that feel like a horror movie

all the lights hung poorly..surpised there wasent a fir from them..

see more of that in a bit

upstairs'

the upstairs was nthing but an attic...no bedrooms or bathroom..this was a single floor home..

basement

a wood burning heater...thats an old way to heat a house

the last thing still hanging that shows the personality of the owner

odd old stained glass

not sure what that is...

..the dead and prarie home companion

There are a few male voices caught inside one seems like another lanuage

• By Serenity4
      This place has been on the radar for a while now but never got the chance to properly take a look. The dome itself can be seen for quite a few miles across the surrounding areas. Not a great deal of information available other than it looks like some sort of water treatment site/reservoir possibly used by the MOD, given the land its situated on. It doesn't appear to be fully derelict either as you can still here the sound of running water and the grass seems to be trimmed.

The explore went as planned, few dog walkers here and there, other than that spent a little while looking around.

• By jones-y-gog
      First things first - this place is a death-trap. Simple as that. And it's quite likely to be worse now than it was when I went. But as I have a bit of an obsession about redundant old cinemas and theatres I left all common sense at the entrance.

The building still shows signs of its grand past but sadly any possibility of saving it looks pretty slim, although a Trust has been set up to try to preserve it and bring it back into use.

The four-storey building, designed by G. B. Rawcliffe, opened in 1894 as a music hall, before being converted to a cinema in 1938. It was last used as a bingo hall in 1995. 

^^^ Not sure about that!  
    • By shacklerurbex
      First vid upload for a while, although I have not stopped exploring.

Should be more videos coming up soonish

This gothic mansion was once owned by a doctor who released a mental health patient who sadly went on
      to stab an 11 yr old girl to death. I believe he was pretty much chased out of his home by locals (they may or may not of have had burning torches)
      Nice place though, there used to be more cars, but sadly there gone now.

The car is a 1964 humber super snipe

and yes I know I spelt doctor wrong on the vid title  god knows why