Vulex

UK St Joseph's College, April 16

St Joseph's gets visited/reported on a lot, some people even look down upon others for going. But I absolutely love this place. This hobby for me started with it in late july last year. I was looking for something to drive too locally and found a picture randomly on google. So I drove and when I saw it for the first time I was in love. But after walking around I chickened out in entering... I first entered in August and after looking at my first report I posted from there I cringed. 
This was my 4th trip back and first as a guide. I wanted to try and capture the things people dont really post or the not so obvious angles/pictures (I might of tried a bit to hard ;)). But every time I visit, I see something new. 

Visited with @CuriousityKilledTheCat and a Non-member.  A really fun explore as I wasnt concentrating on my camera and more looking around. Also turning around and seeing Secca stood looking at me was funny. He is a sound guy!

Shot with my D3300 and my trusty 35mm lens.

History

St Joseph's College was founded in 1880 by Bishop Bernard O'Reilly to be the Seminary serving the North West of England. The college was formally opened in 1883 and was situated in Walthew Park, the geographic centre of the Diocese of Liverpool.

The first Junior Seminary of the Diocese was founded at St Edward's College in 1842 as a Catholic 'classical and commercial school' under the direction of the secular clergy and was established in Domingo House, a mansion in Everton. Its President for the next forty years was to be Monsignor Provost John Henry Fisher. When the junior seminarians moved to St Joseph's in 1920 the school was taken over by the Christian Brothers and continues to this day and now serves as the Liverpool Cathedral Choir School. In recognition of the heritage owed to St Edward's College one of the two chapels at Upholland was consecrated as the St Edward the Confessor Chapel.

Although Upholland flourished until the 1960s, the rapidly changing social climate in that decade led to a sharp drop in enrolment. In the early 1970s, the northern bishops decided to consolidate the activities of Upholland and Ushaw; from 1972 all junior seminarians in the north attended Upholland, and from 1975 all senior seminarians attended Ushaw.[3] Even as the sole junior seminary for the north of England, however, Upholland continued to suffer a decline in enrolment, and by the 1980s was no longer a traditional seminary but a "boarding school for boys considering a vocation". In 1986 the total number of students was down to 82, of whom only 54 were Church students, and it was no longer viable to educate them on the premises. From 1987 the remaining students attended St. John Rigby College in nearby Orrell for their schooling, an arrangement that continued until the very last of these students left Upholland in 1992.

26445141491_236cb2fa78_c.jpg

26444449161_38fb455b26_c.jpg

26510519715_360e09de39_c.jpg

26418261102_3aa33f501f_c.jpg

26484671916_fe14dd5e24_c.jpg

25907633033_352749f03e_c.jpg

26484527356_38645ee8b5_c.jpg

25907742023_ea8e27c62b_c.jpg

25907751353_7ec080a635_c.jpg

26418215172_5f10d01cf6_c.jpg

26510480095_5db8fb099d_c.jpg

25907797233_6be3486a78_c.jpg

25907615603_b15908a6ed_c.jpg

26484639756_db98a66410_c.jpg

25905646254_82ab9b2562_c.jpg

25907726833_1dbfe8fdb4_c.jpg

26484572906_f54632137e_c.jpg

26237674140_294a965436_c.jpg

26418246542_2c567679fc_c.jpg

25907772503_4949b39fdd_c.jpg

25905716354_df2885ed83_c.jpg

26418311182_99d7e7942d_c.jpg

Edited by Vulex

Very interesting shots there mate.im sure one of those is where you banged your head lol you can laugh about that now. Remember when you had the blood running down your head, good times :-D

4 hours ago, Lavino said:

Very interesting shots there mate.im sure one of those is where you banged your head lol you can laugh about that now. Remember when you had the blood running down your head, good times :-D

Yea mate it was, the bit from taxidermy to the Library. Im not going to lie, i was very scared as the blood trickled down my head.