KarlPhoto365

UK The Ark, Liverpool (Sept 15)

The Ark (Greenbank Synagogue) Liverpool.

Hit this with Lavino,, Woopsahoopaa and a few others from other forums in Sep 15. I know its late but why not hey?

After a fail down at Cains we headed here and with a snap, crackle and pop, we were in!

History:

Built in 1936, the historic building has played a part in some of the city�s most important events over the last 79 years, including acting as a refuge for homeless families during the Blitz.

However, after the congregation dwindled to less than 40, there was only one service held per week and it was eventually shut down in 2007. Also known as The Ark, the Synagogue�s demise was partly due to the falling Jewish population in the city which over the last century went from 11,000 to just 3,000. Despite being closed, it was given Grade II* listed status to ensure its survival. In 2010, it was put on the �at risk� register by Historic England. In more recent years, the mammoth building has benefited from �70,000 worth of rescue funding, �51,000 from English Heritage and the rest from Liverpool City Council. The money, which was spent mainly on repairing the roof, made the building weather-proof, which is vital in ensuring it finds a suitable occupier. After the congregation left the synagogue, in 2008 there were plans drawn up to turn it into flats but ultimately they did not come to fruition.

P9126480_zpsnkmxut0v.jpg

P9126454_zps2kz62vog.jpg

P9126447_zpshi9egq8v.jpg

P9126443_zpswev4l7vq.jpg

P9126439_zpsp0wx8j7l.jpg

P9126432_zpstsxjtgpr.jpg

P9126428_zpsyg8lmw5f.jpg

P9126415_zpsad2uwyqs.jpg

P9126410_zpskvu3kpur.jpg

Thanks for looking folks ;)

Edited by Dubbed Navigator
Editing photo bucket links

3 minutes ago, Lavino said:

Not seen this pop up in a while wonder what's going on there now.

Heard its sealed up again mate...or at least where we got in....im sure it will pop up again..

Still think this is one of the best sites to explore in the UK, I travelled from London to see it and was worth every minute. Nowhere else like it :thumb 

1 hour ago, The_Raw said:

Still think this is one of the best sites to explore in the UK, I travelled from London to see it and was worth every minute. Nowhere else like it :thumb 

It does have a certain appeal.  Like Joe's and the like :)

Great place this mate and good to see it again. Had a quick sniff around here a few months ago at the end of a long day but didn't attempt access as it was far too light for how overlooked it was :( 

:comp: 

On 19/04/2016 at 10:47 PM, Paul_c said:

Cool photatoes Man, hope you are keeping good mate 

Hi Paul....thanks mate.  These are taken on my old Olympus so quality not that great...look at my George Barnsleys report for better images (IMO haha) 

Have to meet up again soon :thumb

On 19/04/2016 at 10:08 PM, hamtagger said:

Great place this mate and good to see it again. Had a quick sniff around here a few months ago at the end of a long day but didn't attempt access as it was far too light for how overlooked it was :( 

:comp: 

It is overlooked mate, yes, but I dont think anyone gives a crap...when we went it was heaving with dog walkers and locals.....  (Probs why it is sealed up again! :oops:)