Sign in to follow this  

USA Church of Arches May 2016

America is a country that is rapidly losing it's faith, especially in the northeastern states. There are a ridiculous number of churches in many of the large cities over there, and with dwindling congregations there aren't enough worshippers to go around. Some luckily find their way into becoming housing, or other community assets, and others are just left to rot and decay and occasionally catch fire.

So far this is the fifth church I have explored in this one particular city, each of them have been unique and different in their own way. This one is no exception, it is situated right in the ghetto and was beginning to be tidied up into something else but conversion stopped. According to my friend the owner used to sit in the entranceway long after it had been abandoned and would play the drums out into the street, the drums have since been stolen though. Not more than a couple of hundred yards from the front of the church was a house that had burned no more than two days before my visit, the car next door was still covered in burnt bits of wood and ash.

Anyway we didn't spend too long here as other than the main features there wasn't really a great deal to shoot, it really was beautiful inside though.

Thanks for looking :)

Empty, but nice architecture. I like the ceiling and the windows.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By tdiggle
      To start this is my first Urbex mission kind of, I couldn’t find an access point into the building but it literally only has two rooms. Back in the 1950’s and early 60’s this place was an auto garage in a tiny township of Centerton. There was no information about the building online so I had to ask my grandmother about the place. 
      She he didn’t know when the building was constructed but she did know that the man who owned and operated the building was named Bob Wood, she didn’t know how long he owned the garage (she was a kid back in the days of operation) but when he died his son tried to operate the place but instead it was boarded up and left to rust. 

• By peanutbutter_crackers
      One of my favorite hospitals...the Kirkbride. This example of one was built in 1858 and had unfortunately some rather hideous modification done over the years mainly in the admin section. I contacted the state archives where this building is located after I visited my second time asking if they had any old photos of the interiors and sadly they did not. I also asked for any information they had which turned out to be very little. They did direct me to a small group of students from college  that did some research and gave presentation a few  years ago as well as some PDF files of what they did have in their collection.  The "chapel" or amusement hall looks like it was really beautiful originally and from what I can discern they made it into 2.5 floors from the original open space it once was. There is a really decorative stenciling in the "attic" portion which should have been seen from what is now the first floor along with pretty stained glass windows which again are "cut" up due to the floor addition.  Admin has some ghastly suspended ceilings with piping all over. The front entry was covered up partially and made smaller as well from what I can tell. Why they did such hideous things I do not know. Lack of common sense or wanting to preserve the originality of the building.  There really isn't much information about this place as I mentioned but I do know in the 1930's they changed the wards to mainly open ones hence really no patient rooms. There were also several other buildings that have been torn down over the years which were quite nice and some modifications done to the outside of the kirk which I found out about when I found an old postcard view of it.  Anyway here's the photos from my various 4 visits. It's 11 hrs from me or I'd gone more than that

• By peanutbutter_crackers
      I've visited this former state hospital site a few times and over the last few years they've torn down a few buildings and unfortunately before I was able to make my first visit the morgue and lab were two of those :(. I wished I'd gotten to see them but alas...I did not. Here are a few photos from various trips. I didn't take great photos when I first started exploring and my editing sucked! Most of the buildings are rather boring and not much was left inside. One of the areas of this complex was/is a bowling alley which for years was flooded and no one was able to photograph it. However when they were preparing a building beside it to be demoed the water was removed from it. It's completely dark there so no available light except by light painting which I detest   

This building above they removed the cupolas for what reason I don't know and they are sitting behind fence at the building in the background

This building was demoed 2016.

• By yonaguni

The Congoleum factory in hamilton nj or as its used too look..its rubble now

The statues are from the nearby grounds for sculpture..

I wasent the 1st person in to explore

parts of it were in ptich dark...

ghost of the past

i guess this help factory workers dream of better days

this area was filled with odd sounds ghostly sounds

other buildings were well on their way out

last cup

This place was very haunted voices everywhere..banging and footsteps.. My name gets called..my departed brothers name is called.....i wonder where those ghost are now
      the site was massive staium sized but its all gone
    • By bmxer7777
      Hey Everyone! Welcome to my very first Urbex..! My group and I went to these houses south of Atlanta that have been abandoned for a few years now. Unfortunately, they are going to be torn down soon, so anyone who may want to visit them, DM me ASAP! Anyway, The first house we went to was just empty and peaceful. The second house, not so much... We found graffiti telling us to leave; we should have listened. We stepped into the garage of the house and saw blood on the floor, and drag marks leading to the attic. Not wanting to see a dead body, we left. We're planning on going back to the attic soon in daylight. The third house was almost worse. We found some evidence that a serious crime may have happened there, as well as a swastika and a Confederate flag. We left without exploring too much of that house. On our way out, one of my friends looked back at the top floor of the house and saw someone in the window. We left quickly. I hope you guys like the pictures, some of them may be NSFW, the swastika. Otherwise, have a great day everyone! Be safe!
      Link to Google Drive with all pictures: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/1/folders/12y4aEjooNREuzS5ZMrjztkwrx2gIiinc