Sign in to follow this  
mookster

USA Overbrook Asylum May 2016

Construction of the Essex County Hospital Center, also known as Overbrook Asylum began at the end of the 19th Century. Over the next couple of decades it was expanded with more buildings added gradually as it grew into a large institution. It was so large it had it's own railway station on the branch line used to transport the huge quantities of coal needed to power the complex. During the 20th century attitudes towards mental health care dramatically changed, and the facility was gradually wound down until in the 1990s it was operating but with very few patients. During this time the administrators began the process of closing wards and other buildings, until the final curtain fell on the site in early 2007, when patients and staff were moved to a brand new, smaller, hospital in the local area.

I had wanted to see Overbrook for a very long time, ever since my first trip over to the states but back then it was not to be for a few reasons. It just so happens that one of my friends/exploring buddies out there is very local to the hospital and has been visiting the site pretty much since the day the final door shut in 2007, he's probably been inside the asylum over 350 times now and knows the place like a second home. That may seem excessive, but when it is within walking distance of where you lived and as amazing as it is inside I can understand why. He describes it as the best explore New Jersey has ever had, and in a state filled with dozens of abandoned hospitals and institutions that's a big thing to say. A month or so ago my heart sank as I saw the first photos posted of the long talked about demolition of the site beginning so it quickly became a 'we must see it now' explore.

And I am so glad I did. I honestly never thought I'd see a better asylum than West Park way back when but my first impressions of being in here were of it being like the best bits of Cane Hill, West Park and Hellingly all rolled into one asylum. It's got a ridiculous amount of equipment left inside, four dental suites, a mortuary, an entire records vault filled with patient records from the mid-20th century, oodles of decay and a huge power plant with it's own turbine hall. Unfortunately the main hall was one building demolished in 2007 when the place closed. It was an (excuse the pun) crazy place to walk around, I could have stayed in there the entire day and not seen it all. My companions showed me all the best bits, the must-sees and the awesome spots, I took many many photos and we got out without a worry.

Ironically the place was seriously tagged up before any real decay set in, so a lot of the graffiti has since peeled off the walls!

When I explored it they had demolished maybe a quarter to a third of the site, so god knows how much is left now. Once this place goes it will be the death of a true icon of American exploring, felt much the same as the demise of West Park was over here. All I know is my three friends who have explored it a ridiculous number of times will be in there exploring until the very last building comes down.

26811690164_5438388fd6_b.jpg

27386338216_3a6f428edc_b.jpg

27348902481_f0a6522352_b.jpg

27322009092_a2ca9eeb12_b.jpg

27322005502_88c5e8228a_b.jpg

27420346595_00a2526080_b.jpg

27420341815_b5d9599167_b.jpg

27386315966_4a15405710_b.jpg

27386312416_df0b81299a_b.jpg

27386310686_ee189b8c85_b.jpg

26813213753_80b33fd48c_b.jpg

27420328975_5344e6ca63_b.jpg

27420319275_b243c8b2e3_b.jpg

27386284876_65f186c0f7_b.jpg

27420311495_68899d09b6_b.jpg

26811623184_a4bf4809f4_b.jpg

26811618024_c146195ca1_b.jpg

27420301805_c6bf7a3e77_b.jpg

27386268056_cc43b7acd6_b.jpg

27420296795_b73b786efc_b.jpg

26813172063_b2b2e983ba_b.jpg

27420288915_6003218fbd_b.jpg

The old dining hall below - this was right on the edge of where the demolition crews had got up to. Probably gone now.

27144225120_0aebb99dda_b.jpg

27144219100_6b5aeae9ac_b.jpg

27144216030_8b71f79bf6_b.jpg

27348821511_de263c0c79_b.jpg

26811566264_0b29a781bb_b.jpg

26811554084_9d97bba310_b.jpg

26813116833_671bf746be_b.jpg

27386203616_5ea3ea875c_b.jpg

Thanks for looking, loads more shots on my Flickr...

What an awesome place, it's got that perfect blend of decay, nice details, & artifacts. This was a very enjoyable reoort to read & you've documented the place well :-D

19 hours ago, The_Raw said:

Wow that's fuckin bad ass!! :shock:

It's a beast, and it seriously gets under your skin. I was introduced to a friend of my friend who accompanied us on the explore, he too has visited the place hundreds of times and is in his own words addicted to the place. It has a very strange effect on people, for a couple of days afterwards my mind kept wandering towards the asylum, and even going through the photos here brought forward feelings of longing to walk through it again which are unlike any memories or thoughts I've had about explores before. I'm just lucky I got to see it when I did, albeit with about 1/3 of the place demolished. I would have kicked myself if I hadn't seen it before it follows the other iconic New Jersey asylum, Greystone, into the ground.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By bmxer7777
      Hey Everyone! Welcome to my very first Urbex..! My group and I went to these houses south of Atlanta that have been abandoned for a few years now. Unfortunately, they are going to be torn down soon, so anyone who may want to visit them, DM me ASAP! Anyway, The first house we went to was just empty and peaceful. The second house, not so much... We found graffiti telling us to leave; we should have listened. We stepped into the garage of the house and saw blood on the floor, and drag marks leading to the attic. Not wanting to see a dead body, we left. We're planning on going back to the attic soon in daylight. The third house was almost worse. We found some evidence that a serious crime may have happened there, as well as a swastika and a Confederate flag. We left without exploring too much of that house. On our way out, one of my friends looked back at the top floor of the house and saw someone in the window. We left quickly. I hope you guys like the pictures, some of them may be NSFW, the swastika. Otherwise, have a great day everyone! Be safe!
      Link to Google Drive with all pictures: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/1/folders/12y4aEjooNREuzS5ZMrjztkwrx2gIiinc

• By bmxer7777
      First Post Guys! Anyways, my group of friends and I found an abandoned Gas Station south of Atlanta. Apparently, the gas station went bankrupt due to the county screwing them over. A new highway system was out in, and the road to the gas station was relocated, so in order to get to the station, one would have to travel a good 5 minutes out of their way. Not worth it. So the station closed down and now it looks like this. May go back to take more pictures soon, stay posted. Have a great day guys, and be safe!

• By meepers
      It's been months sense I got out and explored an abandoned location.  There wasn't much left here, but it still felt great to be back on that horse again. 

• By masodo
      HISTORY

wiki text: Riverside Amusement Park was an amusement park in Indianapolis, Indiana, USA from 1903 to 1970. Originating as a joint venture between engineer/amusement park developer Frederick Ingersoll and Indianapolis businessmen J. Clyde Power, Albert Lieber, and Bert Fiebleman and Emmett Johnson, the park was built by Ingersoll's Pittsburgh Construction Company adjacent to Riverside City Park at West 30th Street between White River and the Central Canal in the Riverside subdivision of Indianapolis.

The decade of the 1960s was not a kind one for Riverside Amusement Park, which was losing attendance for the first time since the end of World War II. By the time John Coleman lifted the "whites only" policy (in response to a series of protests organized by the NAACP Youth Council in 1963), the park was losing $30,000 a year.

Increased cost of insurance, maintenance, and new rides, coupled with increased competition from the emerging theme parks, were cited by Coleman as the park closed for the last time at the end of the 1970 season. All the rides were sold or demolished by 1978.

The land lay undisturbed for more than two decades, until the construction of the River's Edge subdivision in the early 2000s.

===========================================================================================================================================

STORY
      In 1979 my buddies and I heard that they were getting ready to bulldoze the site of the long defunct Riverside Amusement Park in Indianapolis so we decided to drive by to get a final look. When we got there we were amazed to find easy access to the grounds. With my trusty Practica LLC at hand we ventured within and explored for several minutes until we came to the stark realization that this neglected plot of land had become the home to countless wild dogs. Picking up debris for clubs we beat a hasty retreat (pausing of course for a commemorative selfie.)

The pictures were taken on 35mm slide film...  Back in 2005 I came across the slides and crapily scanned them using a junky flat-bed scanner and used those images to create the Animated GIF below to send cross country via email to one of the krew.

If there is a prize for worst images on OS these would surely take it - but even in this 'State' they trigger memories of that adventure; so in that they are still doing their job...

Impressionists Views of Riverside Amusement Park (circa 1979)

I opened this GIF and extracted the individual images and tried to enhance them to some degree.
      I then repackaged thumbnails of these into a fresh GIF that is marginally more effective than the original.
      (shown at end of report)

Ticket Booth

Shoot 25¢

From Inside Ring-Toss

Main Attraction

The Weed-lined Path

Wheee!

Domed (Doomed) Skating Rink

Three scared cats in a dog park! (that's me on the right rockin' the Frampton 'do)

Take Two

If I ever come across the original transparencies again I will have to get some proper enlargements made.
    • By masodo
      Hi everyone,
      I am a blogger from the Indiana State and a fairly new member to Oblivion State.
      I am "a cyber explorer of the web less traveled" and it was while randomly exploring Belgian websites that I happened upon a link to this forum. I have pretty-much lived in and around Indianapolis all my life and worked for several years as an industrial/commercial photographer. Although it has been many years since climbing/crawling around factories and such looking for "the shot," seeing the work presented here has me thinking it may be time to dust off the 25A-Red and Polarizer combo and see if I might get back into the "game."

I have been itching to contribute here so I decided to kick off the adventure with a blog post about this website (features the first 10 members I have followed.)
      Check it out if you want:
      Illuminating the Oblivion State