Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WildBoyz

UK
Friends Mission Hall, Shildon - May 2016

History

Shildon Friends Mission Hall was constructed in 1897, following the evangelising Quaker movement which thrived in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century. The movement is more widely known as the Religious Society of Friends; they had halls across Europe, America, Africa and Asia. The hall was likely to have been erected to accommodate rising patterns of worship, and to tackle widespread illiteracy among adults in the local community. Quakers became renowned for their strict focus on developing behaviour, their private lives and reflecting emotional purity in the light of God. In the past Quakers were also well-known for their opposition to slavery, teetotalism, plain dress and refusal to participate in war. Instead, many Quakers went on to found banks, such as Barclays and Lloyds, and British confectionery makers Cadburys, Rowntree’s and Fry’s. 

Our Version of Events

Following a successful explore over in Gateshead, we decided to head to Shildon, having heard that there was an abandoned community hall of some description there. At first, access looked impossible; everything was sealed tighter than a Yorkshire man’s wallet. However, with a bit of perseverance, we were able to overcome this slight problem. 

Once inside, it was obvious that the building has been visited by the local idiots, as everything was everywhere it shouldn’t have been. Tables have been turned, chinaware smashed and cupboards ransacked. Despite this, there were still a few odd photogenic bits and bobs lying around. All in all the building is fairly small though, and it doesn’t take long to get through all of the rooms due to its size. Overall, we spent around twenty minutes inside, until we ran out of things to look at. 

Explored with Ford Mayhem, Meek-Kune-Do and Box.

 

1:

 

aDSC_0707_zps5p3tafoo.jpg

 

2:

 

aDSC_0709_zpswrerj8gg.jpg

 

3:

 

aDSC_0653_zpsy4zkqfun.jpg

 

4:

 

aDSC_0655_zpsvrayvcif.jpg

 

5:

 

aDSC_0660_zpsb1rjx7ih.jpg

 

6:

 

aDSC_0662_zpslwlgh6tk.jpg

 

7:

 

aDSC_0665_zpsdovha2ln.jpg

 

8:

 

aDSC_0667_zpscxv0datq.jpg

 

9:

 

aDSC_0673_zps29fnpt0s.jpg

 

10:

 

aDSC_0676_zps9jysj2tm.jpg

 

11:

 

aDSC_1185_zpsy9kz9jlv.jpg

 

12:

 

aDSC_0677_zpswuoemwdl.jpg

 

13:

 

aDSC_0679_zpsddqqua6g.jpg

 

14:

 

aDSC_0680_zpsf0jcnysl.jpg

 

15:

 

aDSC_0688_zpsr6vlvzks.jpg

 

16:

 

aDSC_0697_zpst1cjkc07.jpg

 

17:

 

aDSC_0704_zpstbjhjhhq.jpg

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a bad little place despite all the shit lying all over the place :) 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2016 at 9:22 AM, hamtagger said:

Not a bad little place despite all the shit lying all over the place :) 


Haha, thanks mate. It was apparently intact a week before we managed to get around to having a look. Shame. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shame the idiots beat you to it, still a some nice bits n bobs left .

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2016 at 7:43 PM, jones-y-gog said:

Shame the idiots beat you to it, still a some nice bits n bobs left .


No doubt it's probably completely trashed now. Not been past this place in a while. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there

 

Where exactly is Shildon in the North East please?

 

Thanks

 

Col

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/27/2017 at 10:40 PM, lordnelson said:

Hi there

 

Where exactly is Shildon in the North East please?

 

Thanks

 

Col


If you type 'Shildon' into the search bar on Google Maps, it will be easier to find than me explaining where it is. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Similar Content

    • By WildBoyz
      History

      Ouvrage Latiremont is a gros ouvrage (large work) of the Maginot Line – a line of concrete fortifications, obstacles and weapon installations built by France in the 1930s to deter invasion by Germany. The site of Ouvrage Latiremont was selected and approved by the Commission d’Organisation des Régions Fortifiées (CORF) in 1931. It cost eighty-eight million francs (approximately twelve million in pound sterling) to construct the fortification. The design of Ouvrage Latiremont is known as a casemate fortress – a fortified or armoured structure, also referred to as a vaulted chamber, from which guns are fired. Once completed, 75mm and 81mm guns were installed and a second phase was planned, to add additional 75mm and 135mm gun turret blocks. However, the second phase of the development never went ahead as the funding was allocated elsewhere. 

      Latiremont has two main entrances and six combat blocks (three infantry blocks and three artillery). It also comprises more than five kilometres of underground tunnels and galleries; these are at an average depth of thirty metres. A small narrow-gauge railway system, which was connected to a regional military railway system, once linked all six sections of the fortress and it was used to transport supplies, such as equipment, food and ammunition. There were said to be several stations inside Latiremont which were large enough to service and store large trains. Once fully operational, Latiremont was placed under the command of Commandant Pophillat. Pophillat had twenty-one officers and five-hundred and eighty men of the 149th Fortress Infantry Regiment at his disposal. 

      Following the 1939 invasion of Poland, Britain and France declared war on Germany. Thereafter, between the September 1939 and June 1940, Latiremont fired over 14,4  52 75mm rounds and 4,234 81mm rounds at German forces. The fortress, though, was not directly attacked until June 1940. On the 21st June 1940, the German 161st Division led by Colonel Gerhard Wilck, which brought 210mm howitzers and 305mm siege mortars with them, launched their attack against Latiremont. While the attack was underway, a small number of German units moved to the rear of the Maginot Line where they were able to cut power and communications. Despite heavy resistant from Latiremont and nearby fortress Fermont, firing ceased on 25th June and both garrisons surrendered to the German forces on 27th June. For the remainder of the war, the area was used for a German propaganda film, to document the June 1940 attacks, but it did not see any further significant fighting. 

      In 1951 the French government attempted to restore many of the northeastern ouvrages, to defend against a potential advance by the Warsaw Pact. However, following the establishment of the French Nuclear Strike Force, the importance of the Maginot Line diminished. Latiremont was subsequently abandoned by the military in 1967. Today, the fortress remains abandoned and has suffered heavily from water ingress. 

      Our Version of Events

      Aside from drinking beer, this explore was our reason for being on the other side of the English Channel. We weren’t certain at all if the place would be doable, but after reading about it we decided it was probably worth the risk. Nonetheless, towards the end of our trip there was a sudden drop in team morale. This resulted in us taking a vote in an Aldi car park, over French bread and Biscoff, on whether or not we should crack on and drive for three more hours to reach Latiremont, or turn tail and check out a few old manors as we headed back to the ferry terminus. With the votes all in and tucked nicely into a hat, we made a short ceremony out of revealing the results. In the end, the remainers won, four to two, so there would be no leaving Europe just yet. 

      We finished off our Biscoff and spent our remaining Euros on food in Aldi before we set off for Latiremont. Our combined wealth got us a couple of tins of beans, a box of mushrooms and some spices to sprinkle on top. Someone did offer to buy our car in the car park after we got the supplies in, but we had to insist we really needed it to get home to England. The potential buyer still didn’t seem to see that as a problem though. It was quite a mission to shake him. 

      The drive over to the border of Luxembourg was very pleasant. We played some banging tunes and arrived at the location with plenty of time to spare. At first, we had anticipated that finding the fortress in the forest would be quite a challenge, but as it turned out we stumbled across it within ten minutes of being there. Gaining access to the gros ouvrage was a little more tricky of course – it is a military fortress after all! 

      Once inside, we found ourselves in a standard-looking bunker. There were signs and evidence that guns had been positioned in here, and at first we thought that was that. Most bunkers we’ve entered have been fairly compact and bare, and you can usually get through all the rooms very quickly. Our minds were blown, then, when we discovered a lift shaft and, after peering down to see how high it was, realised we couldn’t see the bottom. Obviously extremely excited at the point, at the prospect the place was going to be absolutely huge, we began to make our way down a staircase next to the lift shaft. 

      We made our way down the steps, which went on for a long, long time, until we reached the bottom where we found ourselves in a cold tunnel surrounded by enormous blast doors. It was at this point we realised we’d underestimated how big this place really is. For the next few hours, then, we made our way through different snaking tunnels, and explored many side rooms and chambers leading off from them. One of the best parts of the explore that we came across was some sort of old gun turret. There were plenty of others things to see as well though. This place was certainly a bit of a time capsule. The only problem, however, was that we started to lose track of where we were inside the fortress. It’s very easy to get lost in the labyrinth-like corridors and rooms and we’d eaten all the bread earlier in the day, so making a breadcrumb trail had been out of the question. Eventually, we felt as though we were well and truly lost so decided it was time to find a way back to the surface. It took a little while, and a few false turns, before we found a tunnel that sort of looked familiar. We followed it and, thankfully, ended up back where we started. 

      All in all, then, this explore was absolutely fantastic – certainly one of the best military fortifications we’ve ever explored. It’s also steeped in interesting history about the war. Anyone who happens to find themselves near Luxembourg should definitely pay this place a visit. You never know your luck after all, you might find a way inside like we did. 

      Explored with Ford Mayhem, MKD, Rizla Rider, The Hurricane and Husky. 
       
      1:
       

       
      2:
       

       
      3:
       

       
      4:
       

       
      5:
       

       
      6:
       

       
      7:
       

       
      8:
       

       
      9:
       

       
      10:
       

       
      11:
       

       
      12:
       

       
      13:
       

       
      14:
       

       
      15:
       

       
      16:
       

       
      17:
       

       
      18:
       

       
      19:
       

       
      20:
       

       
      21:
       

       
      22:
       

       
      23:
       

       
      24:
       

       
      25:
       

       
      26:
       

       
      27:
       

       
      28:
       

       
      29:
       

       
      30:
       

       
      31:
       

       
      32:
       

       
      33:
       

       
      34:
       

       
      35:
       

       
      36:
       

       
      37:
       

       
      38:
       

       
      39:
       

       
      40:
       

       
      41:
       

       
      42:
       

       
      43:
       

       
      44:
       

       
      45:
       

       
      46:
       

    • By WildBoyz
      History

      Château D’ah was constructed at some point in the mid-nineteenth century. For many years, it was owned by an aristocratic family, before it became, for a short time at least, a small apostolic school (part of the Apostolic Church). The school closed shortly after the outbreak of World War Two, leaving the house abandoned for a period of time. Somehow, it survived the heavy bombardment of the German invasion, while the town around it crumbled. It is not known who purchased or occupied the château after the war ended. 

      By the later 1950s, the château was purchased by Rémy Magermans, a famous printer and photographer. Magermans founded his company in the late 1940s and moved into the property as his business expanded. As the château comprised a large amount of land, he was able to construct a printing workshop next door to the manor. Magermans owned the building until he passed away in 2009. Since becoming vacant, many people, including photographers, artists and vandals, have visited the site and it has gradually deteriorated.

      Our Version of Events

      After a good session in Brussels, sampling the fine beer of Belgium, we set off in the direction of Luxembourg. Our grand aim was to find an incredibly large underground fortress, but since that entailed a fair bit of driving we figured we might as well check out a few abandoned châteaus along the way. Château D’ah took our fancy because we’d seen some shots of the main downstairs corridor and a very striking staircase. In hindsight, though, if we’d known how fucked the place was going to be, we probably would have given this place a miss and checked out a couple of other locations we had on our list. 

      In terms of gaining access to the site, it was incredibly easy. Vandals have seen to it that anyone can waltz inside these days. Once inside then, we were initially very disappointed. All of the decorative wall paper was ruined, the staircase has been trashed and is rapidly becoming heavily decayed, and everything else around us has been smashed to pieces. Upstairs, things were even worse. Our advice to anyone planning a visit here would be to skip these floors. Other than the reasonably good view from the roof, it’s a complete waste of time going up there. However, there was one really good part to this explore, and it was the reason we decided to post the report. 

      To be perfectly honest, we stumbled across the basement by accident. It turns out that a group of sleep-deprived explorers with severe hangovers aren’t the most observant, so it’s a wonder one of us actually discovered it. Anyway, after noticing it we staggered our way down the stone steps to the bottom. Having only expected to find one room down there, we were pleasantly surprised that there were several rooms and a strange brick corridor. In the end, we spent longer down there than the château itself. We found it was quite photogenic.

      Explored with Ford Mayhem, MKD, Rizla Rider, The Hurricane and Husky. 
       
      1:
       

       
      2:
       

       
      3:
       

       
      4:
       

       
      5:
       

       
      6:
       

       
      7:
       

       
      8:
       

       
      9:
       

       
      10:
       

       
      11:
       

       
      12:
       

       
      13:
       

       
      14:
       

       
      15:
       

       
      16:
       

       
      17:
       

       
      18:
       

       
      19:
       

       
      20:
       

       
      21:
       

       
      22:
       

       
      23:
       

       
      24:
       

       
      25:
       

       
      26:
       

    • By Landie_Man
      Langwith Mill, Nether Langwith, Nottinghamshire – July 2017
       
      The 4th and final stop on Mookster and my July Northern Road Trip.  Nestled almost in a sort of Farm Yard in Nottinghamshire; next to a disused Restaurant (Goff's Restaurant); a rather odd place for an eatery in a very rural location.  Access did involve a bit of grazing field to get up to the mill. 
       
      The disused mill is a four storey Cotton Mill which was constructed in 1786.  The mill was originally sixteen windows wide, which would have made Langwith one of the largest mills in the district. Cotton spinning at Langwith Mill ceased around 1848 and the place was converted into a Corn Mill in 1886.  Langwith  was still operating after WWII. The Mill was built in limestone with a slate roof which is now holed and in poor condition. Langwith was powered by a large water wheel fed from a dam nearby which is now a meadow.
       
      The site is a curtilage building to the Grade II listed Langwith Mill House and a building of Local Interest in its own right.  The listing was applied in 1985 as the mill is a site of Local Historical Interest.
       
      It’s in pretty poor condition in places!
       
      #1

       
      #2

       
      #3

       
      #4

       
      #5

       
      #6

       
      #7

       
      #8

       
      More At:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/landie_man/albums/72157688860638275
    • By Landie_Man
      Bradfield Water Treatment Works, Lower Bradfield, South Yorkshire – July 2017
       
      Day two of Mookster and I’s Not particularly successful Northern Road Trip.  We rose stupidly early as usual and missed breakfast; it’s always way too late in the morning!!!    We parked my classic Volvo in the middle of the village and proceeded down to the Water Works, which looks rather prominent in the tiny, tiny rural village which feels incredibly secluded.  By now it was around 6:30am and there were dog walkers around all of whom were friendly and gave us an obligatory “Good Morning”.
       
      One particular chap who was very polite and wished us well wondered off, when he came back passed and we were scoping the joint, his body language changed instantly and he continued walking away.  They must get this a lot! Pretty trashed in here, but it had a few nice shots inside!
       
      Bradfield Water Works was built in 1913 for the filtering and treatment of water taken from the Dale Dike (the cause of the 1864 great flood of Sheffield); as well as the Agden reservoirs in the neighbouring Loxley Valley. The site was cutting edge technology back in its day and it even included the first telephone to be installed in Bradfield back in 1930 allegedly! By 1974, the Yorkshire Water Authority took over the Water Works, and then during the Thatcher Government a number of years later; the entire UK water industry was privatised with the Water Act of 1989. Eventually, the pumping house at Lower Bradfield was closed down in 1994 when a new pump house and Water Processing Plant was built elsewhere in the Loxley valley.
       
      It has been said that the locals believe the building attracts unwanted visitors and is a “constant eyesore” and a “morbid reminder of Lower Bradfields grim past.”  Which explains the looks we got!
       
      #1

       
      #2

       
      #3

       
      #4

       
      #5

       
      #6

       
      #7

       
      #8

       
      #9

       
      More At:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/landie_man/albums/72157686442257184
    • By Landie_Man
      E.P. Bray, Chisworth Dye Works, Glossop – July 2017
       
      So during a fairly unsuccessful road trip of a 20:4 fail ration on a huge 650 mile round trip, Northern Road Trip, Mookster and I arrived here.  Nestled next to a public footpath; access was pretty easy, and although stripped, I rather enjoyed this one.  Some lovely colours and decay going on inside.
       
      What I will say is; there are signs everywhere warning of Lead Chromate contamination inside from the production of coloured dyes.  It is absolutely everywhere! Lovely…..!  
       
      Built at the end of the 18th or in the early 19th centuries; Chisworth Works was as a cotton band manufactory.  During these times, the site was called “Higher Mill”. It appears that the original building was extended twice to the rear in its past, as there are noticable lines in the mortarwork and mismatches in the courses along the south-west elevation.
       
      It is thought that these extensions took place before 1857 because the building line remains the same on the maps until 1973. The site was used as a dyeing works by 1973; and there was a large T-shaped extension at the rear which looks to have been added in two stages.
      The only change a decade later,  was the construction of a square loading ramp at the front. The outline of the site today is the same as it was in 1984. E.P. Bray  began "winding-up" by 2006 and was dissolved/liquidised and the site shut down in September that year.
       
      #1

       
      #2

       
      #3

       
      #4

       
      #5

       
      #6

       
      #7

       
      #8

       
      #9

       
      #10

       
      #11

       
      More At:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/landie_man/albums/72157685024774162

Disclaimer

Oblivion State exists as an online forum to allow like minded individuals to share their experiences of Urban Exploration. We do not condone breaking and entering or other criminal activity and advise all members to read the FAQ articles about the forum and urban exploring in general. All posts are the responsibility of the original poster and all images remain copyright to the original photographer.

We would just like to thank

Forum user AndyK! from Behind Closed Doors for our rather excellent new logo.

All of our fantastic team of Moderators who volunteer their time to keep this place running smoothly.

All of our members for continuing to support Oblivion State by posting up the most awesome content. Thank you everyone!