True_British_Metal

UK Former BBC Manchester Oxford Road crane, June 2016

Visited with Slipdrix.

I never thought I'd be sat up here. Really, I thought after all the crap that went down after my last crane climb 5 years ago in April 2011 (although funnily enough, I never got hit by it all), I would never do one again. I did actually try One First Street in Manchester with Ptchaw back in ~2013 when the entire site had about 7 cranes on site, protected by CCTV and a patrolling guard, but instantly tripping an external PIR put paid to that and I never tried again. Besides, I never truly felt comfortable up a crane; firstly the sensation that being unshielded from wind left me feeling like my camera would blow off the side! The worst however is never having anywhere to hide if security spot you; in my head it's a near equivalent to getting caught naked... in public... with nowhere to run!

I didn't want to do this at first, but Slipdrix insisted we get out and try it, and in hindsight it was rewarding. Very, very rewarding. Expecting it to be an absolute fortress, getting in was actually far easier than expected. Not a soul in sight, and little in our way to stop us getting around. Just get in the base, make your way up as fast as possible and don't mess around.

That's exactly what I did.

27394615300_b218d03a8c_b.jpg

27394590300_eb6e238974_b.jpg

27060954864_2d1ab28cc4_b.jpg

The photos were taken at ISO100 wherever possible, but other times there was nothing to stick the camera on so I switched to AUTO ISO which made the pictures a little grainy.

27673042345_48d2fe4531_b.jpg

27394568640_98d3d11ff0_b.jpg

27637793686_133f37bbca_b.jpg

27598438841_f33274d677_b.jpg

So there we have it, my first crane for 5 years. Maybe I'll do some more in the future, because the photo opportunities really are rewarding. Unfortunately I dunno if I'll ever be able to shake the fear of being seen, so I don't think I'll ever actively seek out to do them in the future. But who knows?

Coming down, we did actually get spotted, albeit not by the site security. Opposite is a building currently being renovated, and under scaffold. Halfway down we saw him come out to do a patrol, but afterwards he didn't actually leave. He just stood outside the cabin door, basking in the night air or having a cigarette perhaps. There was no way he couldn't see us by this point, so we heard a loud whistle. We couldn't stop then, and he was effectively powerless so our only choice really was to run away back where we came from. Somehow we got out and pulled it off without a hitch. Fantastic.

Thanks for reading. Love as always,

TBM x

Nice one! I know what you mean about cranes, it's not so bad once you're up there, but the risk of being spotted while climbing it are high until you're a certain distance off the ground. Well done for giving it a shot! :) 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By sj9966
      I nipped over last night to check the fire damage.
      The only building that was on fire is the St Mary's building (which was a nurses home not a care home as I have written in this report). It has suffered damage to the right hand side of the building but is not totally burned out.

There is a planning application submitted to demolish most of the buildings on the site including St Edwards. As far as I could see there has been no descision made on it yet.
      http://planning.northwarks.gov.uk/portal/servlets/AttachmentShowServlet?ImageName=253942
      I also found this on the net (link below), it gives the whole history and a detailed report on all the buildings. There is still some unseen stuff here notably the chapel within the former St Gerards Hospital which is now offices. If demo goes ahead I'm sure it will become more accesible. It will be a shame to see these buildings go as it's a great urbex site imo.

• Guest Dubbednavigator
      By Guest Dubbednavigator
      Hi All
      As much as we all hate to see our beloved shrines of dereliction, they all eventually either get ripped down or converted
      A lot of these are good, and a lot of them are very, very bad
      What are the best ones you have seen?
      My favourite has to be Nethernene on the hill. Located just down the road from cane hill
      Its a beauty

Hall

Admin

Water tower

• By jw94
      Not a lot about this place, I believe the bowling part shut down in 2009 and then the crystal maze part shut down in 2010. Oakwood own this place and have no plans for it besides letting it rot away. Whoever is trying to look after this place is attempting to keep people out. Heard about this place from a different site, easy to find, such a pain in the arse to get into as there's a very tight gap to try and squeeze through..

Thee maze is bigger than first thought, only uploaded a few pictures of that. 

• By jones-y-gog
      One from the vault. Did a quick search on this one and surprisingly saw very little in the way of reports - so thought I'd share my take on it.

Back in the day this place was quite infamous - mostly it seems due to the few 'bad apples' that lurk within the exploring community. Stories of looting and selling out to the media were rife. 

It is quite a special place for me as its the kind of place that's close to where my ancestors lived and I can imagine its the kind of place they would call home. Its located in a wild and isolated place, it would have been a harsh and bleak landscape to live in at times but in its own way stunning and beautiful. 

I visited twice in the early part of 2015. The house had obviously been left unoccupied a very long time until it suddenly appeared on the radar. The owners had become aware of this and tried securing it.  On my first visit I noticed a big new shiny padlock was in place on the outhouse. When I returned about a month later the whole door had been smashed. A little later all doors and windows were boarded up, leading to an unofficial renaming by one clever wordsmith as Shroud Cottage. It appears that also didn't deter those with no sense of respect in the search for 15 minutes of Facebook fame. 

Enough of the backstory and on with the pictures: