Sign in to follow this  
Vulex

UK Château Miranda, Belgium, July 2016

28415631350_d641243cd5_c.jpg

The Second destination on my latest Euro trip of Belgium, concentrating on some of the more popular and well known derps in the country. A trip plagued with exhaustion, illness and one of the nicest all you can eat restaurants (unlimited steak, to fry your self.) 

The rain did not give up all morning and at the prospect of adding wet and cold (to their symptions of tiredness and sickness)  due to the walk up to the Castle 2/4 of the party decided to try and sleep. 
Up until seeing pictures of Miranda I wasnt really bothered about going abroad to explore, but chance seeing pictures on facebook in February really opened my eyes. And made me want to get over there. 

On the 3 previous trips I have lobbied for a stop here, but up until now it wasnt on route. Even though its trashed and vandalised, she is still a beaut and worth the trip. Even just for a glimpse of the external. A real life Princess in the tower castle. Unfortunately by the time I got there, there was nobody left to save. 

History

The castle was built in 1866 by the English architect Edward Milner under commission from the Liedekerke-De Beaufort family, who had left their previous home, Vêves Castle, during the French Revolution. However, Milner died before the castle was finished. Construction was completed in 1907 after the clock tower was erected.

Their descendants remained in occupation until World War II. A portion of the Battle of the Bulge took place on the property, and it was during that time, the castle was occupied by the Nazis.

In 1950, Miranda Castle was renamed "Château de Noisy" when it was taken over by the National Railway Company of Belgium (NMBS/SNCB) as an orphanage and also a holiday camp for sickly children. It lasted as a children's camp until the late 1970s.

28081141084_574e68927d_c.jpg

28620245001_b8a534253a_c.jpg

28080231644_da13a7e86d_c.jpg

28078837234_2dc18ff8ef_c.jpg

28080785314_d6bb63051d_c.jpg

28415886210_f404f17d3c_c.jpg

28665152976_9b10e92b28_c.jpg

28591398832_25ed1f9501_c.jpg

28665134826_49555f4df5_c.jpg

Took me forever to persuade anyone to go and see this as it's so out of the way, well worth the trip in my opinion despite being a shadow of it's former self. Great pics, number 5 is a winner :thumb 

:comp: 

Really nice to see this again, and that bathroom. I hear very few venture across the exposed beams to get that shot. 

Beautiful puctures, the first is very imposing. I love 5 too :) 

Looks awesome mate, great shots :thumb If this is the place that got you on the Euro trips i'm glad you have got to see it.

Really like the mists coming out of the woods :)

@The_Raw Totally agree with you, really worth the trek, imagine this place in the snow! 

5 hours ago, Urbexbandoned said:

Really nice to see this again, and that bathroom. I hear very few venture across the exposed beams to get that shot. 

It is a bit of a walk of death i'll admit hah lol

@The_Raw Totally agree with you, really worth the trek, imagine this place in the snow! 

On 03/08/2016 at 1:04 PM, Urbexbandoned said:

It is a bit of a walk of death i'll admit hah lol

23 hours ago, Ferox said:

Looks awesome mate, great shots :thumb If this is the place that got you on the Euro trips i'm glad you have got to see it.

Really like the mists coming out of the woods :)

Thanks buddy :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Maniac
      Thought I'd post up photos from my visit here in April this year.
      This location is very under-valued in my opinion, it is in fantastic condition inside and makes for a really interesting couple of hours explore. The building is pretty big inside, many offices and little back rooms to be found, as well as two projector rooms (Projectors sadly gone) with 3 cinema screens and lots of other random rooms. There's also a fair amount of origenal features and detailing in the building, which is fantastic!
      The cinema closed its doors in 1999 (I think) when the multiplex odeon opened down the road at lockmeadow. It has laied empty ever since, although someone must maintain it, as it's surprisingly clean and tidy inside, and the ventilation/heating system is still on (as the bingo hall underneath share the same system)
      Apologies for the quality of these pics, they were on my old camera and were mostly handheld as I didn't posess a tripod back then!!
      Reception/foyer area

Going up . . .

Pop corn anyone??

To the Cinema Screens

This is Screen 2, Screens 1 and 2 are virtually identical mirror images of each other where the origenal audatorium was split in 2.

Motors that powered the screen curtains and shuttering.

Screen 3 was the most amazing room with the most fantastic plasterwork in the ceiling.

And this random room, who knows what it was used for, but there were lots of period features in it, and a bloody strip light right in the middle spoiling it all!

Random rooms everywhere with all sorts of bits in

Some projector room equipment, but no projectors

And a couple of images from the roof looking over maidstone

It was an amazing place to look round, nice and warm and dry for a change as well.
      Maniac.
    • By Maniac
      This is the only surviving example of a kent colliery, and is looking in an increasingly bad way in recent times.
      They're still un-sure what they want to do with the buildings, so at the moment they stand there empty, a monument to the sites past use.

All the mine shafts have one of these on them, there were 3 in total, this one was the shallowest, the deepest was over 900metres making Snowdown the deepest colliery in Kent.

Not a lot to see really, but a nice way to spend a couple of hours, and quite a laid back explore as the security people patrolling were actually fine with us being there
      Please ignore the quality of these pics, it was over a year ago and I was still getting used to the camera!
      Maniac.
    • By (76)
      St Clement's served as a mental hospital from 1937-2007, housed in old workhouse buildings constructed in the late 1800s. Here's some shots from South Block.

Coborn Ward for adolescants

Coborn Ward patients signing off

The morgue, which is to be retained and turned into a house if I recall correctly.

No slab, but a few bits and pieces remained here until someone booted the back gate in and everything of scrap value disappeared.

• By (76)
      Been to this well-known Coking Plant loads of times over the years. Here are some of my favourite pics...

Max

• By (76)
      This place is mostly houses now but we managed to nip in just before they tore the place down. You don't see a lot of newspaper bases like this anymore, an all encompassing site consisting of offices, dining area & social club, printing facilities and also warehousing for distribution. KM will be opening a new office here at some point but the days of a giant operation like this are long gone.

Breaking news(room)

Only remnants of the hard-hitting journalism in the newsroom was the best looking pet competition!

There were a few old photos lying around showing how things were done years ago like this old printing press.

Another showed the print hall behind the newspaper offices and we were able to do a before...

...and after.

Disclaimer

Oblivion State exists as an online forum to allow like minded individuals to share their experiences of Urban Exploration. We do not condone breaking and entering or other criminal activity and advise all members to read the FAQ articles about the forum and urban exploring in general. All posts are the responsibility of the original poster and all images remain copyright to the original photographer.

We would just like to thank

Forum user AndyK! from Behind Closed Doors for our rather excellent new logo.

All of our fantastic team of Moderators who volunteer their time to keep this place running smoothly.

All of our members for continuing to support Oblivion State by posting up the most awesome content. Thank you everyone!