Sign in to follow this  
mookster

USA The Second Empire Gym - Sept 2016

You know when you get that urge to do something impulsive and outlandish? Yeah that happened to me during my time in America. I'm not usually one for solo jaunts, least of all in a city I am still largely a stranger to, least of all when it also involves going some way into a pretty rough neighbourhood also. But needs must, and all that.

To give a brief history, it was originally a row of three large townhouses, before being purchased by a secret society who constructed a large auditorium and ballroom on the rear of the property, before it passed into the hands of a boxing promotion who used the auditorium for many years as their arena.

I'd seen a few photos of this place come up from a friend just before I left on my trip so he gave me all the details I'd need, and stepping foot inside it was one of those rare 'jaw on floor' moments that I was finally seeing it for myself, stood in one of the most iconic places in American sporting history. It's utterly unique, incredibly beautiful, and a massive shame that it has been left abandoned, taken charge of by a development company with a string of failures to their name. Sadly the most likely outcome of this place will be demolition of all but the historic frontage and construction of a hotel on the land.

I didn't have long in here as it was getting dark and didn't want to outstay my welcome, but it's a massive tick in the accomplishments box for me.

29878814570_93ec8ec92d_b.jpg

29545396993_5a7855c3a5_b.jpg

30174569345_7ef1f98166_b.jpg

30089899151_dc820fef91_b.jpg

29545596364_43d22f1974_b.jpg

30060013722_2d4385a7df_b.jpg

29545394793_320a809f1b_b.jpg

29545608934_1753c815df_b.jpg

29878809140_8c742460b0_b.jpg

30139907576_cc9b7569d2_b.jpg

30174574955_8f06ed90d9_b.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

This is lovely mookster, really enjoyed reading about the history and story behind it. Reminds me of some east end gym back in the day of the Krays but surrounded in a stunning building! Nice one :thumb 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By masodo
      HISTORY

wiki text: Riverside Amusement Park was an amusement park in Indianapolis, Indiana, USA from 1903 to 1970. Originating as a joint venture between engineer/amusement park developer Frederick Ingersoll and Indianapolis businessmen J. Clyde Power, Albert Lieber, and Bert Fiebleman and Emmett Johnson, the park was built by Ingersoll's Pittsburgh Construction Company adjacent to Riverside City Park at West 30th Street between White River and the Central Canal in the Riverside subdivision of Indianapolis.

The decade of the 1960s was not a kind one for Riverside Amusement Park, which was losing attendance for the first time since the end of World War II. By the time John Coleman lifted the "whites only" policy (in response to a series of protests organized by the NAACP Youth Council in 1963), the park was losing $30,000 a year.

Increased cost of insurance, maintenance, and new rides, coupled with increased competition from the emerging theme parks, were cited by Coleman as the park closed for the last time at the end of the 1970 season. All the rides were sold or demolished by 1978.

The land lay undisturbed for more than two decades, until the construction of the River's Edge subdivision in the early 2000s.

===========================================================================================================================================

STORY
      In 1979 my buddies and I heard that they were getting ready to bulldoze the site of the long defunct Riverside Amusement Park in Indianapolis so we decided to drive by to get a final look. When we got there we were amazed to find easy access to the grounds. With my trusty Practica LLC at hand we ventured within and explored for several minutes until we came to the stark realization that this neglected plot of land had become the home to countless wild dogs. Picking up debris for clubs we beat a hasty retreat (pausing of course for a commemorative selfie.)

The pictures were taken on 35mm slide film...  Back in 2005 I came across the slides and crapily scanned them using a junky flat-bed scanner and used those images to create the Animated GIF below to send cross country via email to one of the krew.

If there is a prize for worst images on OS these would surely take it - but even in this 'State' they trigger memories of that adventure; so in that they are still doing their job...

Impressionists Views of Riverside Amusement Park (circa 1979)

I opened this GIF and extracted the individual images and tried to enhance them to some degree.
      I then repackaged thumbnails of these into a fresh GIF that is marginally more effective than the original.
      (shown at end of report)

Ticket Booth

Shoot 25¢

From Inside Ring-Toss

Main Attraction

The Weed-lined Path

Wheee!

Domed (Doomed) Skating Rink

Three scared cats in a dog park! (that's me on the right rockin' the Frampton 'do)

Take Two

If I ever come across the original transparencies again I will have to get some proper enlargements made.
    • By masodo
      Hi everyone,
      I am a blogger from the Indiana State and a fairly new member to Oblivion State.
      I am "a cyber explorer of the web less traveled" and it was while randomly exploring Belgian websites that I happened upon a link to this forum. I have pretty-much lived in and around Indianapolis all my life and worked for several years as an industrial/commercial photographer. Although it has been many years since climbing/crawling around factories and such looking for "the shot," seeing the work presented here has me thinking it may be time to dust off the 25A-Red and Polarizer combo and see if I might get back into the "game."

I have been itching to contribute here so I decided to kick off the adventure with a blog post about this website (features the first 10 members I have followed.)
      Check it out if you want:
      Illuminating the Oblivion State

• By eyevolve

Built in 1896 and in continuous use until 1995, this pinwheel style quaker prison was a reflection of a similar one located nearby. You can tour that one for a few dollars and take as many pictures as you like. This one was not so easy....

It was the site of a controversial decades-long dermatological, pharmaceutical, and biochemical weapons research projects involving testing on inmates.

The prison is also notable for several major riots in the early 1970s.

The prison was home to several trials which raised several ethical and moral questions pertaining to the extent to which humans can be experimented on. In many cases, inmates chose to undergo several inhumane trials for the sake of small monetary reward. The prison was viewed as a human laboratory.
      “All I saw before me were acres of skin. It was like a farmer seeing a fertile field for the first time.” Dr. X

One inmate described experiments involving exposure to microwave radiation, sulfuric and carbonic acid, solutions which corroded and reduced forearm epidermis to a leather-like substance, and acids which blistered skin in the testicular areas.

In addition to exposure to harmful chemical agents, patients were asked to physically exert themselves and were immediately put under the knife to remove sweat glands for examination. In more gruesome accounts, fragments of cadavers were stitched into the backs of inmates to determine if the fragments could grow back into functional organs.

So common was the experimentation that in the 1,200-person prison facility, around 80% to 90% of inmates could be seen experimented on.

The rise of testing harmful substances on human subjects first became popularized in the United States when President Woodrow Wilson allowed the Chemical Warfare Service (CAWS) during World War I.

All inmates who were tested upon in the trials had consented to the experimentation, however, they mostly agreed for incentives like monetary compensation. Experiments in the prison often paid around $30 to $50 and even as much as $800. “I was in prison with a low bail. I couldn’t afford the monies to pay for bail. I knew that I wasn’t guilty of what I was being held for. I was being coerced to plea bargain. So, I thought, if I can get out of this, get me enough money to get a lawyer, I can beat this. That was my first thought.”

I expected to find an epic medical ward only to be filled with disappointment. The practice was so common I can only assume it was conducted everywhere.

Many advocates of the prison trials, such as Solomon McBride, who was an administrator of the prisons, remained convinced that there was nothing wrong with the experimentation at the Holmesburg prison. McBride argued that the experiments were nothing more than strapping patches of cloth with lotion or cosmetics onto the backs of patients and argued this was a means for prisoners to earn an easy income.

The negative public opinion was particularly heightened by the 1973 Congressional Hearing on Human Experimentation. The hearing was supposed to discuss the Tuskegee Syphilis Study and clarify the ethical and legal implications of human experimental research. This climate called for a conscious public which rallied against the use of vulnerable populations such as prisoners as guinea pigs. Companies and organizations who associated themselves with human testing faced severe backlash. Amidst the numerous senate hearings, public relation nightmares, and opponents to penal experimentation, county prison boards realized human experimentation was no longer acceptable to the American public. Swiftly, human testing on prisoners was phased out of the United States.

Only a renovated gymnasium is considered suitable for holding inmates. That building is frequently used for overflow from other city jails.

The district attorney launched an extensive two year investigation documenting hundreds of cases of the rape of inmates.

The United States had ironically been strong enforcers of the Nuremberg Code and yet had not followed the convention until the 1990s. The Nuremberg code states: “[T]he person involved should have legal capacity to give consent; should be so situated as to be able to exercise free power of choice, without the intervention of any element of force, fraud, deceit, duress, overreaching, or other ulterior form of constraint or coercion; and should have sufficient knowledge and comprehension of the elements of the subject matter involved as to enable him to make an understanding and enlightened decision.”

The prison trials violated this definition of informed consent because inmates did not know the nature of materials they were experimented with and only consented due to the monetary reward. America’s shutting down of prison experimentation such as those in the prison signified the compliance of the Nuremberg Code of 1947.

You look so precious.

• By Rob Adventures
      Located In Columbus Ohio. Very popular urbex place.