Sign in to follow this  
mookster

USA St. Lego's Church Oct 2016

Getting into the tail end of my last Stateside trip now - and by rights it wouldn't be one of my adventures if I didn't get to explore at least one church. In a country rapdily losing it's faith there are a massive amount of shuttered churches for the taking of all architectural styles and sizes, some small and some, like this one, massive. After striking out at numerous other churches and driving through some of the most dangerous and deprived neighbourhoods I've ever seen (places where you lock your car doors and close your windows and barely stop at stop signs...) we found one that was accessible.

Great, we thought, although it did happen to be in a particularly rough area of the city which meant this was going to be one speedy explore. There is a large derelict school and rectory attached to the church also which we were convinced people were living in so we restricted ourselves to the main church and ran around grabbing a few photos. After twenty minutes or so we both decided we'd had enough and wanted to get out, both for our own safety and to make sure our car was still there or hadn't been broken into!

It's a real shame it's in such a bad neighbourhood because the church itself is absolutely stunning and has minimal vandalism. It closed twice, once in the early 90s before being refitted and taken over by another religious organisation who operated from it until a few years back. One of the things people say when they see the place is how it looks almost artificial, the original stained glass was removed after closure and when the church was refitted and reopened they had painted windows instead of proper stained glass which lends it a weird effect inside.

If I was with a bigger group of people I would have spent a lot longer in here for sure, safety in numbers and all that. But with just the two of us in a bad neighbourhood it was decided discretion was the better part of valour and we headed off quickly.

29558414494_468e683c85_b.jpg

30152970286_800d32c8f2_b.jpg

30152968156_35f9330810_b.jpg

29558641193_d3385ab23f_b.jpg

29558407264_5ba94efc47_b.jpg

29558638723_4a4d7ee934_b.jpg

29558404604_0be6713c2c_b.jpg

29558636693_2eea3358a3_b.jpg

Thanks for looking :D

Interesting report and a nice place. Good, despite the bad area, that things like the piano have not been stolen or destroyed.

:comp:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By 8ReDRuM
      Here is a local farm house that is right down the road from where I live. Sorry the pictures are small I took the before I got a real camera. I will be going back soon and taking new pictures. After the pictures check out a music video by the band Nathaniel White and a Link so you can see how the got there name and some info behind the house you see standing along RT17 in Goshen NY.

Video
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N-sOaU2W-M
      History and behind the name.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathaniel_White
    • By 8ReDRuM

• By 8ReDRuM

• By 8ReDRuM
      Construction began in 1911 but completion of the original design did not occur until the early 1930s. The institution was planned as a "farm colony," whereby patients were put to work raising animals and growing food. Superintendent Charles S. Little told the New York Times: "In order to make this plan a success, it is necessary to begin to train the feeble minded when they are children. The feeble minded, if taken at an early age can be trained to do things better than if the education of which they are capable is postponed until the less pliable years." The site was named for William Pryor Letchworth, who served on the New York State Board of Charities from 1873 to 1896. Letchworth Village was one of the largest and most progressive facilities for the mentally retarded in the United States. Situated on 2000 acres of farmland with the Towns of Haverstraw and Stony Point. It was designed as a self-supporting community comprised of 130 field stone buildings.
      The facility closed on March 31, 1996, but administrative offices remained open until 2002.

• By 8ReDRuM

Disclaimer

Oblivion State exists as an online forum to allow like minded individuals to share their experiences of Urban Exploration. We do not condone breaking and entering or other criminal activity and advise all members to read the FAQ articles about the forum and urban exploring in general. All posts are the responsibility of the original poster and all images remain copyright to the original photographer.

We would just like to thank

Forum user AndyK! from Behind Closed Doors for our rather excellent new logo.

All of our fantastic team of Moderators who volunteer their time to keep this place running smoothly.

All of our members for continuing to support Oblivion State by posting up the most awesome content. Thank you everyone!