Sign in to follow this  
Landie_Man

Ukrane The School of Music, Pripyat (Chernobyl Exclusion Zone), Ukraine - October 2016

The School of Music, Pripyat (Chernobyl Exclusion Zone), Ukraine - October 2016

These were shot on my second time to The Chernobyl Exclusion Zone. I visited in October 2016 for a four day tour which took us to many places which one might not see on a normal tourist trail to the zone.

It was an amazing experience to see The Zone again and each day was packed, getting up at 06:30 to catch the 07:40 train from Slavutych to The Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant Station, and back to our rented house in Slavutych (the town built to house those who lost their homes in Pripyat) at around 20:00/21:00.

-

So, onto another cool but quickly explored site. Rushed this one too as we were not allocated very much time to The School of Music.

Pripyat seemed to be a very musical place, perhaps a Soviet Era trait?  Pripyat was known for being a very well educated city; many products not available to the rest of the U.S.S.R. were available here and education was very good, as would be expected with a city occupied mostly by workers of a Nuclear Power Plant.

Many buildings had Pianos in and this School was among many Schools and Nurseries around the town; but this was the only professional music school.

Very little remains here to show that it was a music school; except for a large auditorium with a Grand Piano rotting away since the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant disaster in April 1986.

29763778174_3a58ae2021_b.jpg

30358107006_ccd240c2c2_b.jpg

30097282790_b62bf36d4b_b.jpg

29762427803_b417defd36_b.jpg

29762406883_98bfd85f05_b.jpg

29763793624_01330fa2d3_b.jpg

More Music At:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/landie_man/albums/72157675249665626

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By TheBaronof Scotland
      Next set from this amazing place

Cheers
      The Baron
    • By TheBaronof Scotland
      Day 1 of a very memorable trip, wanted to do this for so long and as such the opportunity arose a few weeks back to make it happen.
      With it being very short notice, I went on my own and joined a public tour for 2 days, with 5 other folk, only 1 other person taking pictures !! time was limited in each location as we tried to cram in as many different locations as possible.
      As such I only had approx 45 mins in here............. first of a few reports to follow of each place i thought worthy of a report

Cheers
      The Baron
    • By TheBaronof Scotland
      Next batch from my trip to this amazing place
      Just pics for this report

Rare B&W, not a huge fan but thought this worked

This one reminds me of Stussy, not sure why

Cheers
      The Baron
    • By TheBaronof Scotland
      Havent posted for an age but saw another excellent report and inspired me to post again (after sorting out resizing issue I had months ago (thanks andyK)) 

Fun time, few hours tour inside, with a group of 8 of whom only 3 of us where taking photos 

cheers

The Baron

• By Landie_Man
      Going Shopping In Pripyat, (Chernobyl Exclusion Zone), Ukraine- Oct 2016

Apologies for the photos here! These were all shot on an phone as my DSLR had completely succumbed to the damp weather by this point and was acting as a weight in my bag!!

So, our last day in Pripyat, we were dropped off outside the former Hair Salon and Chemists and sent on our way to explore what we wanted for 2 hours.  I had my dosimeter on hand as a lot of walking was needed through the woods for the lesser seen things; things which may be overlooked by normal tours because they are small and tucked away, but full of old gems!  

Pripyat was one of the more privileged places in The Soviet Union because of the Power Plant. For example; it was one of the only places you could get Chanel No. 1, and various quality Western Goods, second only to Moscow, Russia.
      We know from before that Pripyat was a city of privilege and culture, where pianos were commonplace in many buildings and our first stop was to a Piano shop tucked in the shopping district of Pripyat.  Pianos in here as far as the eye can see; but none were in particular great shape after 30 years of being left to the elements.  

Its funny, its hard to picture Pripyat as being anything but a city with lots of buildings among the shrubbery, but these buildings were once on concrete plains with massive roads and wide open spaces.  The trees were all saplings
      or young when Pripyat was evacuated.  Its interesting to see how nature has taken over.

Behind the Piano Shop was an Electrical Goods Shop which housed many models of appliance which could also be found inside the apartment blocks within The Zone; a good marker of the standardisation  within the Soviet Union.  Situated behind the white goods shop was a large Meat and Dairy Supermarket with all of its chillers still inside.  These would have been emptied in 1987 and the food buried by the Female Liquidators to stop the spread of infectious diseases
      from the perishable goods within.

After doing these shops, it was onto Pripyats Hair Salon and finally the chemists which was in the same building but on the Ground Floor

Pripyat Piano Shop

Electronics Shop

Meat and Dairy Market

Pharmacy (Apotheke)

Pripyat Hair Salon

As always guys, its been a pleasure, thanks for looking; sorry for the iphone pics!  DSLR has been replaced, I have gone from Sony to Canon!

Play More Melodies at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/landie_man/albums/72157674635479840
      Purchase more Twin Tub Washers at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/landie_man/albums/72157675713305646
      Grab a joint of meat at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/landie_man/albums/72157676105120095
      Pick up your prescription At: https://www.flickr.com/photos/landie_man/albums/72157676049336235
      Get yourself a nice blue rinse at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/landie_man/albums/72157676105842235

Disclaimer

Oblivion State exists as an online forum to allow like minded individuals to share their experiences of Urban Exploration. We do not condone breaking and entering or other criminal activity and advise all members to read the FAQ articles about the forum and urban exploring in general. All posts are the responsibility of the original poster and all images remain copyright to the original photographer.

We would just like to thank

Forum user AndyK! from Behind Closed Doors for our rather excellent new logo.

All of our fantastic team of Moderators who volunteer their time to keep this place running smoothly.

All of our members for continuing to support Oblivion State by posting up the most awesome content. Thank you everyone!