Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sheavy

USA Tubs Church, USA, December 2016

It's been a little bit since I've posted anything but that doesn't mean I've been slacking on exploring. The last week of December and early January me and my exploring pal decided it was a good time to get down and dirty scouting, researching, and exploring places here around Birmingham, since he had a few weeks off from college classes. Despite a recent revival in the downtown area of Birmingham, it's still a town filled with lots of blight, and is consistently mentioned as one of the more dangerous big city in the country. A blight filled town is great from an exploring standpoint, not great from any other standpoint.

But on with the pics.

I unfortunately haven't been able to find much of any information about this little church tucked away in the ghetto. About all I know is that it's an old Methodist church. It's very nice and impressive from the outside, but unfortunately the inside has been victim to some terribly cheap renovations. The good shepherd stained glass window is still very impressive however.

31182621983_233790e91b_b.jpgUntitled by Alex, on Flickr

31618178690_385d8675ef_b.jpgUntitled by Alex, on Flickr

31182712103_86c3827d87_b.jpgUntitled by Alex, on Flickr

31843958612_4a0ee966a7_b.jpgUntitled by Alex, on Flickr

31992077275_491baca567_b.jpgUntitled by Alex, on Flickr

31875248941_b5a2fd234a_b.jpgUntitled by Alex, on Flickr

31151811854_d58be2ed1b_b.jpgUntitled by Alex, on Flickr

31992068335_0ee28b7c7f_b.jpgUntitled by Alex, on Flickr

31843933612_c38f637753_b.jpgUntitled by Alex, on Flickr

31875194621_f85fb2e034_b.jpgUntitled by Alex, on Flickr

31151822654_e401c617f0_b.jpgUntitled by Alex, on Flickr

31875239291_0464bb19d8_b.jpgUntitled by Alex, on Flickr

31843941052_645d09b6d0_b.jpgUntitled by Alex, on Flickr

Thanks for looking :)

More pics here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/137551524@N06/albums/72157677093111320/with/31843941052/

The fifth and sixth photo are my absolute favorites, the lead glass window is really great.

Like the look of this one bud. Thanks for the share :thumb

Thanks guys, glad you all enjoyed it :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By meepers
      This location may have been abandoned by the company, but it has been adopted by many others.  Ranging from urbex, to looky-lous, to paintball/airsoft players, to band photos, to first responder training.  It opened up to high level employees or the Rail Road who spoke English as their first language.  This only last roughly 13 years before it was abandoned. We chose an incredibly muddy day to head back here and the Jeep got stuck. IT really only made the day better. 
      https://youtu.be/SjpsNPFUGd8
    • By Sheavy
      The Martin Office Building, also known as the American Life Building, and the Stonewall Building, was built in 1925. it originally housed the Birmingham City Commission as well as various other firms and tenants. Sometime in the sixties The American Life Insurance Company moved their headquarters into the building and it came to be known as the American Life Building. ALI later acquired the Stonewall Insurance Company, which occupied the building until around 1979. The building gradually started being vacated until it's only function was as a document storage building until 2000. It has been essentially vacant since then. There have been numerous proposals and plans to renovate the building, all of which have fallen through. The farthest any proposal got was in 2008 when work got started to turn the building into some apartments. The work had gotten as far as complete asbestos removal, about 90% of the building being gutted, and the top floor almost being completely renovated into the new apartments when the 08-09 economic collapse completely stopped the project in it's tracks. it has since sat empty, with only a few vague proposals that went nowhere.

I do wish I would've been able to see this building prior to the 2008 renovation work, as the old architecture and interiors are still very photogenic even being almost entirely barren. There's also a significant amount of squats in the building, we didn't run into any sqautters while we were roaming around however. We did run into a group of obnoxiously loud 15-16 year olds who we heard coming into the building while we were on the sixth or seventh floor. We decided to spook them in the staircase as they made their way up.

Untitled by Alex, on Flickr

Thanks for looking!

more pics here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/137551524@N06/albums/72157664452679664/with/25954177700/
    • By meepers
      A deadly explosion in 1997 finally shut down the GOEX Black Powder complex.  20 years later I go back for a look around to see what remains of this massive complex.  Open from 1912-1997 there have been many deaths here over the years.   The most resent would be in 1991, killing 3 men and 1997 killing 2 men.  Not much remains after 20 years of being left to sit.

• By meepers
      This was my first exploration video.  I shot it in early November.  It took me months to find out what the building actually was.  There was nothing on line, I could find no public records of it.  Finally a local FaceBook page led me to some answers, and a video walk through of the building someone had done years earlier giving the history of the building.  A link to that video can be found in the description of my video.  I also recently found out that the whole back area of the building was a DIY skatepark at one time.  all the ramps have sense been removed/destroyed.  

I also went back a couple weeks later and did some drone shots.  This was the first test of my drone after it tried to run away from home.  The drone flew under my control the whole flight, but was still a little shaky.  It has sense been fixed.

• By meepers
      My friend and I explore some old mining remains. This was the Hillman Fan Complex, that was part of the Dorrance Colliery. The main fan house holds the remains of the only known surviving Guibal fan. This fan was used to force fresh air back into the mine, while the two smaller fans pulled out air containing dangerous gases.  This complex was build in 1883/84 and was in operation until 1935.  Several of the mining tunnels ran underneath the Susquehanan river, that was only about 100 yards from the complex.  The river breached one of the tunnes flooding the sections of the mine down stream from the main Colliery, which was about 1/4 mile up river.  Ultimately the mining operation shut down in 1959 following the Knox Mining Disaster that took place near Pittston PA.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SZcPdkF81E

Disclaimer

Oblvion State exists as an online forum to allow like minded individuals to share their experiences of Urban Exploration. We do not condone breaking and entering or other criminal activity and advise all members to read the FAQ articles about the forum and urban exploring in general. All posts are the responsibility of the original poster and all images remain copyright to the original photographer.

We would just like to thank

Forum user AndyK! from Behind Closed Doors for our rather excellent new logo.

All of our fantastic team of Moderators who volunteer their time to keep this place running smoothly.

All of our members for continuing to support Oblivion State by posting up the most awesome content. Thank you everyone!