Sign in to follow this  

USA Hudson River State Hospital March 17

Afternoon All, 

Here is another hospital i visited whilst in the States. Was about a 3.5 hour drive from where i was staying in Rhode Island so was up early for this one to make our way here. Once there, we parked up and was shocked to see how much more snow there was here than there was in RI. Making our way up the hill out of sight was a mission on its own through the knee deep snow, but once up and in the building, it was all good.....until we had to move to the other buildings, it would be obvious to security someone was there due to us leaving tracks, but we made our way over the the main buildings and got inside. It became apparently that we must have been alone that day as when we were relaxing on the roof in the sun, we hadnt seen anyone else, heard any cars or anything. ALl of the roads inside the campus had been ploughed, but we must have just got lucky i suppose. :)

Some history from the interweb

The Hudson River State Hospital, is a former New York state psychiatric hospital which operated from 1873 until its closure in the early 2000s. The campus is notable for its main building, known as a "Kirkbride," which has been designated a National Historic Landmark due to its exemplary High Victorian Gothic architecture, the first use of that style for an American institutional building.[2][3] It is located on US 9 on the Poughkeepsie-Hyde Park town line.

Frederick Clarke Withers designed the hospital's buildings in 1867. Calvert Vaux and Frederick Law Olmsted designed the grounds. It was intended to be completed quickly, but went far over its original schedule and budget. The hospital opened on October 18, 1871 as the Hudson River State Hospital for the Insane[4] and admitted its first 40 patients. Construction, however, was far from over and would continue for another 25 years. A century later, it was slowly closed down as psychiatric treatment had changed enough that large hospitals were no longer needed, and its services had been served by the nearby Hudson River Psychiatric Center until that facility's closure in January 2012.

The campus was closed and abandoned in 2003 and since then has fallen into a state of disrepair. Authorities struggle with the risk of arson and vandals after suspicion of an intentionally set fire. The male bedding ward, south of the main building, was critically damaged in a 2007 fire caused by lightning. The property was sold to an unnamed buyer in November 2013.[5]

Heres afew shots i took

33816438485_26d32b67f4_b.jpgHudson State Hospital by Dirty Jigsaw, on Flickr

33431462040_33b88ddc88_b.jpgHudson State Hospital by Dirty Jigsaw, on Flickr

33003193293_3c48109bc2_b.jpgHudson State Hospital by Dirty Jigsaw, on Flickr

33775710346_c3ff8b8b18_b.jpgHudson State Hospital by Dirty Jigsaw, on Flickr

33431437140_15089ec8d7_b.jpgHudson State Hospital by Dirty Jigsaw, on Flickr

32973226174_fcc8e0872b_b.jpgHudson State Hospital by Dirty Jigsaw, on Flickr

32973213054_ff45511e9a_b.jpgHudson State Hospital by Dirty Jigsaw, on Flickr

32973196074_308166abab_b.jpgHudson State Hospital by Dirty Jigsaw, on Flickr

33660061842_f236cf8d80_b.jpgHudson State Hospital by Dirty Jigsaw, on Flickr

33775651216_1149e413da_b.jpgHudson State Hospital by Dirty Jigsaw, on Flickr

33775634256_47a648b342_b.jpgHudson State Hospital by Dirty Jigsaw, on Flickr

33003090263_725af7a8d7_b.jpgHudson State Hospital by Dirty Jigsaw, on Flickr

32973150604_7ce1c34f8a_b.jpgHudson State Hospital by Dirty Jigsaw, on Flickr

32973139914_2224abff25_b.jpgHudson State Hospital by Dirty Jigsaw, on Flickr

33775604516_e361570d5f_b.jpgHudson State Hospital by Dirty Jigsaw, on Flickr

33816308845_f8c8934e29_b.jpgHudson State Hospital by Dirty Jigsaw, on Flickr

33003057873_bfd6acc027_b.jpgHudson State Hospital by Dirty Jigsaw, on Flickr

33775574216_3c16f55518_b.jpgHudson State Hospital by Dirty Jigsaw, on Flickr

33775557466_8b6b3ac7a7_b.jpgHudson State Hospital by Dirty Jigsaw, on Flickr

33659945182_3739610157_b.jpgHudson State Hospital by Dirty Jigsaw, on Flickr

33816269675_8fa9291b34_b.jpgHudson State Hospital by Dirty Jigsaw, on Flickr

33659931332_8fae02b1e1_b.jpgHudson State Hospital by Dirty Jigsaw, on Flickr

33660097252_cc2a5ce5df_b.jpgHudson State Hospital by Dirty Jigsaw, on Flickr

33816248855_c7d7c75fdc_b.jpgHudson State Hospital by Dirty Jigsaw, on Flickr

33816240655_f4d3531a4a_b.jpgHudson State Hospital by Dirty Jigsaw, on Flickr

32973044404_483b142b50_b.jpgHudson State Hospital by Dirty Jigsaw, on Flickr

Thanks for taking a ganders :)

• Like 1

Very nice decay there and a great set. The pics 2 & 4 are definitely my favorites.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By tdiggle
      To start this is my first Urbex mission kind of, I couldn’t find an access point into the building but it literally only has two rooms. Back in the 1950’s and early 60’s this place was an auto garage in a tiny township of Centerton. There was no information about the building online so I had to ask my grandmother about the place. 
      She he didn’t know when the building was constructed but she did know that the man who owned and operated the building was named Bob Wood, she didn’t know how long he owned the garage (she was a kid back in the days of operation) but when he died his son tried to operate the place but instead it was boarded up and left to rust. 

• By peanutbutter_crackers
      One of my favorite hospitals...the Kirkbride. This example of one was built in 1858 and had unfortunately some rather hideous modification done over the years mainly in the admin section. I contacted the state archives where this building is located after I visited my second time asking if they had any old photos of the interiors and sadly they did not. I also asked for any information they had which turned out to be very little. They did direct me to a small group of students from college  that did some research and gave presentation a few  years ago as well as some PDF files of what they did have in their collection.  The "chapel" or amusement hall looks like it was really beautiful originally and from what I can discern they made it into 2.5 floors from the original open space it once was. There is a really decorative stenciling in the "attic" portion which should have been seen from what is now the first floor along with pretty stained glass windows which again are "cut" up due to the floor addition.  Admin has some ghastly suspended ceilings with piping all over. The front entry was covered up partially and made smaller as well from what I can tell. Why they did such hideous things I do not know. Lack of common sense or wanting to preserve the originality of the building.  There really isn't much information about this place as I mentioned but I do know in the 1930's they changed the wards to mainly open ones hence really no patient rooms. There were also several other buildings that have been torn down over the years which were quite nice and some modifications done to the outside of the kirk which I found out about when I found an old postcard view of it.  Anyway here's the photos from my various 4 visits. It's 11 hrs from me or I'd gone more than that

• By peanutbutter_crackers
      I've visited this former state hospital site a few times and over the last few years they've torn down a few buildings and unfortunately before I was able to make my first visit the morgue and lab were two of those :(. I wished I'd gotten to see them but alas...I did not. Here are a few photos from various trips. I didn't take great photos when I first started exploring and my editing sucked! Most of the buildings are rather boring and not much was left inside. One of the areas of this complex was/is a bowling alley which for years was flooded and no one was able to photograph it. However when they were preparing a building beside it to be demoed the water was removed from it. It's completely dark there so no available light except by light painting which I detest   

This building above they removed the cupolas for what reason I don't know and they are sitting behind fence at the building in the background

This building was demoed 2016.

• By yonaguni

The Congoleum factory in hamilton nj or as its used too look..its rubble now

The statues are from the nearby grounds for sculpture..

I wasent the 1st person in to explore

parts of it were in ptich dark...

ghost of the past

i guess this help factory workers dream of better days

this area was filled with odd sounds ghostly sounds

other buildings were well on their way out

last cup

This place was very haunted voices everywhere..banging and footsteps.. My name gets called..my departed brothers name is called.....i wonder where those ghost are now
      the site was massive staium sized but its all gone
    • By bmxer7777
      Hey Everyone! Welcome to my very first Urbex..! My group and I went to these houses south of Atlanta that have been abandoned for a few years now. Unfortunately, they are going to be torn down soon, so anyone who may want to visit them, DM me ASAP! Anyway, The first house we went to was just empty and peaceful. The second house, not so much... We found graffiti telling us to leave; we should have listened. We stepped into the garage of the house and saw blood on the floor, and drag marks leading to the attic. Not wanting to see a dead body, we left. We're planning on going back to the attic soon in daylight. The third house was almost worse. We found some evidence that a serious crime may have happened there, as well as a swastika and a Confederate flag. We left without exploring too much of that house. On our way out, one of my friends looked back at the top floor of the house and saw someone in the window. We left quickly. I hope you guys like the pictures, some of them may be NSFW, the swastika. Otherwise, have a great day everyone! Be safe!
      Link to Google Drive with all pictures: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/1/folders/12y4aEjooNREuzS5ZMrjztkwrx2gIiinc