Sign in to follow this  
DirtyJigsaw

USA Hudson River State Hospital March 17

Afternoon All, 

Here is another hospital i visited whilst in the States. Was about a 3.5 hour drive from where i was staying in Rhode Island so was up early for this one to make our way here. Once there, we parked up and was shocked to see how much more snow there was here than there was in RI. Making our way up the hill out of sight was a mission on its own through the knee deep snow, but once up and in the building, it was all good.....until we had to move to the other buildings, it would be obvious to security someone was there due to us leaving tracks, but we made our way over the the main buildings and got inside. It became apparently that we must have been alone that day as when we were relaxing on the roof in the sun, we hadnt seen anyone else, heard any cars or anything. ALl of the roads inside the campus had been ploughed, but we must have just got lucky i suppose. :)

Some history from the interweb

The Hudson River State Hospital, is a former New York state psychiatric hospital which operated from 1873 until its closure in the early 2000s. The campus is notable for its main building, known as a "Kirkbride," which has been designated a National Historic Landmark due to its exemplary High Victorian Gothic architecture, the first use of that style for an American institutional building.[2][3] It is located on US 9 on the Poughkeepsie-Hyde Park town line.

Frederick Clarke Withers designed the hospital's buildings in 1867. Calvert Vaux and Frederick Law Olmsted designed the grounds. It was intended to be completed quickly, but went far over its original schedule and budget. The hospital opened on October 18, 1871 as the Hudson River State Hospital for the Insane[4] and admitted its first 40 patients. Construction, however, was far from over and would continue for another 25 years. A century later, it was slowly closed down as psychiatric treatment had changed enough that large hospitals were no longer needed, and its services had been served by the nearby Hudson River Psychiatric Center until that facility's closure in January 2012.

The campus was closed and abandoned in 2003 and since then has fallen into a state of disrepair. Authorities struggle with the risk of arson and vandals after suspicion of an intentionally set fire. The male bedding ward, south of the main building, was critically damaged in a 2007 fire caused by lightning. The property was sold to an unnamed buyer in November 2013.[5]

Heres afew shots i took

33816438485_26d32b67f4_b.jpgHudson State Hospital by Dirty Jigsaw, on Flickr

33431462040_33b88ddc88_b.jpgHudson State Hospital by Dirty Jigsaw, on Flickr

33003193293_3c48109bc2_b.jpgHudson State Hospital by Dirty Jigsaw, on Flickr

33775710346_c3ff8b8b18_b.jpgHudson State Hospital by Dirty Jigsaw, on Flickr

33431437140_15089ec8d7_b.jpgHudson State Hospital by Dirty Jigsaw, on Flickr

32973226174_fcc8e0872b_b.jpgHudson State Hospital by Dirty Jigsaw, on Flickr

32973213054_ff45511e9a_b.jpgHudson State Hospital by Dirty Jigsaw, on Flickr

32973196074_308166abab_b.jpgHudson State Hospital by Dirty Jigsaw, on Flickr

33660061842_f236cf8d80_b.jpgHudson State Hospital by Dirty Jigsaw, on Flickr

33775651216_1149e413da_b.jpgHudson State Hospital by Dirty Jigsaw, on Flickr

33775634256_47a648b342_b.jpgHudson State Hospital by Dirty Jigsaw, on Flickr

33003090263_725af7a8d7_b.jpgHudson State Hospital by Dirty Jigsaw, on Flickr

32973150604_7ce1c34f8a_b.jpgHudson State Hospital by Dirty Jigsaw, on Flickr

32973139914_2224abff25_b.jpgHudson State Hospital by Dirty Jigsaw, on Flickr

33775604516_e361570d5f_b.jpgHudson State Hospital by Dirty Jigsaw, on Flickr

33816308845_f8c8934e29_b.jpgHudson State Hospital by Dirty Jigsaw, on Flickr

33003057873_bfd6acc027_b.jpgHudson State Hospital by Dirty Jigsaw, on Flickr

33775574216_3c16f55518_b.jpgHudson State Hospital by Dirty Jigsaw, on Flickr

33775557466_8b6b3ac7a7_b.jpgHudson State Hospital by Dirty Jigsaw, on Flickr

33659945182_3739610157_b.jpgHudson State Hospital by Dirty Jigsaw, on Flickr

33816269675_8fa9291b34_b.jpgHudson State Hospital by Dirty Jigsaw, on Flickr

33659931332_8fae02b1e1_b.jpgHudson State Hospital by Dirty Jigsaw, on Flickr

33660097252_cc2a5ce5df_b.jpgHudson State Hospital by Dirty Jigsaw, on Flickr

33816248855_c7d7c75fdc_b.jpgHudson State Hospital by Dirty Jigsaw, on Flickr

33816240655_f4d3531a4a_b.jpgHudson State Hospital by Dirty Jigsaw, on Flickr

32973044404_483b142b50_b.jpgHudson State Hospital by Dirty Jigsaw, on Flickr

Thanks for taking a ganders :)

DJ

Very nice decay there and a great set. The pics 2 & 4 are definitely my favorites.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By yonaguni

This was  the first presbyterian church of trenton nj built in 1870 but in its last incarnation it was the imanni church ..before it became abandoned

some of the stained glass are tiffany stain glass

I think thats a red rosewood steinway..fully restored its worth about 30,000$

it had its own theater

this was on odd find in the basement a walkway..to me this looks like graves were buried here..but no records could be found

it had a baskerball court

And ktichen

My Video walkthough..this was an awsome place in  very bad neighborhood...got some ghost voices and footsteps too

• By yonaguni

The Scammel Mansion Yardly PA..orginal built in 1790s or so added onto though the ages..the scammel family made porcelin...I used to post on the WeirdNJ site but they closed the fourms..with no explanation so now ill post here..i walked right into this place years ago but now they have built up mcmansions all around it..dont know how accesable it is..but its still there

ahh death

I began filimg my walkthoughs because it show better what my experience was...then i began to notice voices when i watched the video later...such as here.. a door shuts on its own...too..let me know what you think...i find the same ghost evidence inthe day light..no walking around in the dark for me...

• By mookster
      First I must apologise for not being around too much lately, other things have been going on and I've barely found the time or energy or want to explore stuff here. However I have just got back from a three week trip to the States where I saw many wonderful things and places.

As many of you know I love my industrial explores, they are my favourite kind of abandonment. However, incredibly, this was the only industrial location I managed to explore on my latest trip! Still, it was one I had wanted to see for absolutely years and my main reason for heading to Detroit in the first place, everything else I managed to explore there was a bonus.

The Detroit Harbor Terminal was built in 1925 by The Detroit Railway and Harbor Terminals Company. The ten-storey warehouse was intended to relieve a shortage of available storage space elsewhere. Cargo ships would unload materials at the dock, which were then stored or loaded onto train cars. To support the tremendous weight of so many tonnes of freight, the floors and columns were made out of reinforced concrete, which spread the load across the length of the building. On the north side of the plant was a single-story building that provided heating and cooling, as well as massive engines to power the air compressors. The building is sometimes referred to as the Boblo Island Warehouse because of a huge advertisement for the old Boblo Island Ferry painted on one side.

In 2003 the port closed down and the warehouse was abandoned, but the port was reopened in 2005 handling mostly steel products and the occasional Navy ship docking there, whilst the warehouse building remains vacant to this day.

It used to be an absolute breeze to get into here, with an old fence full of holes and an open loading bay door all that separated people from the inside. However recently a new fence has appeared along the entire length of the road and all but one access point into the building has been sealed. We found our way through the fence after a fashion, and following a very speedy run around the side of the building away from the highly visible road we were in and straight to the roof just in time to catch the sun rise over two countries. The river next to it is the river which separates the USA from Canada and as such there are border patrol boats who like to hang around, so it was very important to not get too close to the edge as they aren't best pleased when people trespass as you can imagine.

After we'd had our fill of the beautiful sunrise we headed down and explored the rest of the huge building. It's pretty samey as nine out of the ten floors are exactly the same in construction, but the ground floor power plant compressor room is extremely cool.

Thanks for looking
    • By OddballOddities
      Over this spring break i'm planning to go to Kings Park Psych Center on Long Island with a few friends of mine to take some photos and explore, i've been to a few abandoned houses around my area but this is the oldest building i'm going to yet and i know there's a lot of mold and asbestos in there and the floors are a bit unstable, do any of you guys have advice on how to stay safe while i'm there and what i should bring with me? Thanks a bunch! ~ Bella
    • By DirtyJigsaw
      No info on this one im afraid, i litrally got to Boston and met up with some friends for some dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe then started drinking, drunk way too much tbh, more than i intended as i was wanting to do a rooftop on the first night in the states, but by time i actually got away from all the bars was 01:41am and i just went wondering in search for a construction site. Stumbled across this one and saw the coast was clear, so hopped the fence and found a way to the top, was only about 17/18 stories but a nice view none the less. I had time to switch lenses up there too and had no trouble getting out either which was nice

Heres some pics, little bit grainy but hey ho.

Boston Rooftop by Dirty Jigsaw, on Flickr

Thanks for looking

DJ

Disclaimer

Oblivion State exists as an online forum to allow like minded individuals to share their experiences of Urban Exploration. We do not condone breaking and entering or other criminal activity and advise all members to read the FAQ articles about the forum and urban exploring in general. All posts are the responsibility of the original poster and all images remain copyright to the original photographer.

We would just like to thank

Forum user AndyK! from Behind Closed Doors for our rather excellent new logo.

All of our fantastic team of Moderators who volunteer their time to keep this place running smoothly.

All of our members for continuing to support Oblivion State by posting up the most awesome content. Thank you everyone!