Over this spring break i'm planning to go to Kings Park Psych Center on Long Island with a few friends of mine to take some photos and explore, i've been to a few abandoned houses around my area but this is the oldest building i'm going to yet and i know there's a lot of mold and asbestos in there and the floors are a bit unstable, do any of you guys have advice on how to stay safe while i'm there and what i should bring with me? Thanks a bunch! ~ Bella

Hey Bella, welcome to OS :) 

I moved this post to the general discussion section. 

You should get yourself a mask to protect yourself from asbestos if you are worried, I think a P3 mask should do the trick. However, asbestos is only a danger when it has been disturbed and it's particles have entered the atmosphere. With that in mind I would recommend always treading carefully so you don't disturb any asbestos in the first place. 

With dodgy floors I think you just need to use common sense, if it looks sunken then be wary. If there are holes where you can see the floor below, probably best to take another route. If it looks dodgy and you want to try it anyway just take it very slow and test every step with your foot first before putting all your weight on it. There is no exact science to it, my foot went through the floor in a house once, luckily just my leg and not the rest of my body. Also wearing boots is advisable as there can be some nasty nails waiting to stick into you. 

I hope this helps :D 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By DirtyJigsaw
      Afternoon All, 

Here is another hospital i visited whilst in the States. Was about a 3.5 hour drive from where i was staying in Rhode Island so was up early for this one to make our way here. Once there, we parked up and was shocked to see how much more snow there was here than there was in RI. Making our way up the hill out of sight was a mission on its own through the knee deep snow, but once up and in the building, it was all good.....until we had to move to the other buildings, it would be obvious to security someone was there due to us leaving tracks, but we made our way over the the main buildings and got inside. It became apparently that we must have been alone that day as when we were relaxing on the roof in the sun, we hadnt seen anyone else, heard any cars or anything. ALl of the roads inside the campus had been ploughed, but we must have just got lucky i suppose.

Some history from the interweb

The Hudson River State Hospital, is a former New York state psychiatric hospital which operated from 1873 until its closure in the early 2000s. The campus is notable for its main building, known as a "Kirkbride," which has been designated a National Historic Landmark due to its exemplary High Victorian Gothic architecture, the first use of that style for an American institutional building.[2][3] It is located on US 9 on the Poughkeepsie-Hyde Park town line.
      Frederick Clarke Withers designed the hospital's buildings in 1867. Calvert Vaux and Frederick Law Olmsted designed the grounds. It was intended to be completed quickly, but went far over its original schedule and budget. The hospital opened on October 18, 1871 as the Hudson River State Hospital for the Insane[4] and admitted its first 40 patients. Construction, however, was far from over and would continue for another 25 years. A century later, it was slowly closed down as psychiatric treatment had changed enough that large hospitals were no longer needed, and its services had been served by the nearby Hudson River Psychiatric Center until that facility's closure in January 2012.
      The campus was closed and abandoned in 2003 and since then has fallen into a state of disrepair. Authorities struggle with the risk of arson and vandals after suspicion of an intentionally set fire. The male bedding ward, south of the main building, was critically damaged in a 2007 fire caused by lightning. The property was sold to an unnamed buyer in November 2013.[5]

Heres afew shots i took

Hudson State Hospital by Dirty Jigsaw, on Flickr

Thanks for taking a ganders

DJ
    • By DirtyJigsaw
      No info on this one im afraid, i litrally got to Boston and met up with some friends for some dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe then started drinking, drunk way too much tbh, more than i intended as i was wanting to do a rooftop on the first night in the states, but by time i actually got away from all the bars was 01:41am and i just went wondering in search for a construction site. Stumbled across this one and saw the coast was clear, so hopped the fence and found a way to the top, was only about 17/18 stories but a nice view none the less. I had time to switch lenses up there too and had no trouble getting out either which was nice

Heres some pics, little bit grainy but hey ho.

Boston Rooftop by Dirty Jigsaw, on Flickr

Thanks for looking

DJ

• By DirtyJigsaw
      Morning All,

This report is very picture heavy i do apologise 

I recently went over to America for the first time ever to meet up with some American contacts who had said in the past if i was ever over in the states, they would be more than happy to show me around
      So i upped and booked it, not knowing that i would land in Boston the day before St Patricks day and that 2 of my mates from work were out in Boston to celebrate, so on my week in the states i stayed in Boston for the first 2 nights (i hit a rooftop on my first night, i shall get a report up when i can) and then my friends from Rhode Island came to pick me up on the Saturday to take me exploring. This was the first place we visited and spent a fair few hours here to be honest, the campus is massive, but once we were in one building, we used the tunnels to get around the rest of the campus, as this was safer due to the security driving around the grounds and potentially spotting our footprints in the snow.

History stolen from Wiki:

Westborough State Hospital or "Westborough Insane Hospital" is a historic hospital along Lyman Street, north of Chauncy Lake and junction of Milk Street and MA Route 9 Westborough, Massachusetts, which sat on more than 600 acres (240 ha).
      The hospital was established in 1884 on the grounds of the State Reform School for Boys. The existing buildings were renovated to accommodate the needs of a mental hospital and was opened on December 1, 1886. This was the first homeopathic hospital for the insane established in New England; but such hospital existed in New York, Michigan and perhaps other states.[2] The Hospital was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1994.
      The hospital was closed in 2010, led by Chief Operating Officer, Joel Skolnick, in anticipation of a new Worcester State Hospital opening in 2012. The 10 bed Deaf Unit, The 2 Adolescent Units and the Intensive Residential Treatment Program (one step below State Hospital Level) programs were closed by June 2010.[3]
      The pioneering African-American psychiatrist Solomon Carter Fuller spent the majority of his career practicing at the hospital. While there, he performed his ground-breaking research on the physical changes to the brains of Alzheimer's patients.
      On May 9, 2015, a memorial service was held in nearby Pine Grove Cemetery for the more than 500 patients who died at Westborough State Hospital and whose remains were unclaimed and subsequently buried in a potter's field. The service was part of a larger effort to put names to the graves of the deceased.[4]

On with my photos

Westboro Asylum by Dirty Jigsaw, on Flickr

If you made it this far, thanks

Cheers for looking DJ

• By Sheavy
      Throwing up something else from the vaults, visited not quite a year ago with a non OS member. This house, built in 1883, was described at the time in a local newspaper as “perhaps the most elegant country home in Middle Georgia.” The home changed hands between three families, the first in 1889, the second in 1978. Unfortunately in 2001 the house suffered a fire, which severely burnt the back portion of the house, stairs, and part of the roof. The owners have since been trying to find someone to buy and restore the house.

I must say, the fireplaces in this house were absolutely gorgeous.

Untitled by Alex, on Flickr

Thanks for looking!

Full set here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/137551524@N06/albums/72157667286175486/with/26510570046/
    • By meepers
      It's recently been posted all over the local social media groups and pages, and in the local news. The real life Silent Hill is now off limits. The Pennsylvania town of Centralia has been a bit of an attraction not only for explorers, but tourist from all over clamor the the tiny town know for it's raging underground mine fires. For over 50 years the town has been burning from below, chasing out residents and being the inspiration for the Silent Hill series. The PA State Police are now cracking down and citing people for exploring the iconic Rt 61, also known as Graffiti Highway. Back in November, my exploring partner and I took a trip to film. I did a series of three videos back then, but in lieu of resent events I did a fresh edit on the location.

Disclaimer

Oblivion State exists as an online forum to allow like minded individuals to share their experiences of Urban Exploration. We do not condone breaking and entering or other criminal activity and advise all members to read the FAQ articles about the forum and urban exploring in general. All posts are the responsibility of the original poster and all images remain copyright to the original photographer.

We would just like to thank

Forum user AndyK! from Behind Closed Doors for our rather excellent new logo.

All of our fantastic team of Moderators who volunteer their time to keep this place running smoothly.

All of our members for continuing to support Oblivion State by posting up the most awesome content. Thank you everyone!