Over this spring break i'm planning to go to Kings Park Psych Center on Long Island with a few friends of mine to take some photos and explore, i've been to a few abandoned houses around my area but this is the oldest building i'm going to yet and i know there's a lot of mold and asbestos in there and the floors are a bit unstable, do any of you guys have advice on how to stay safe while i'm there and what i should bring with me? Thanks a bunch! ~ Bella

• Like 1

Hey Bella, welcome to OS :) 

I moved this post to the general discussion section. 

You should get yourself a mask to protect yourself from asbestos if you are worried, I think a P3 mask should do the trick. However, asbestos is only a danger when it has been disturbed and it's particles have entered the atmosphere. With that in mind I would recommend always treading carefully so you don't disturb any asbestos in the first place. 

With dodgy floors I think you just need to use common sense, if it looks sunken then be wary. If there are holes where you can see the floor below, probably best to take another route. If it looks dodgy and you want to try it anyway just take it very slow and test every step with your foot first before putting all your weight on it. There is no exact science to it, my foot went through the floor in a house once, luckily just my leg and not the rest of my body. Also wearing boots is advisable as there can be some nasty nails waiting to stick into you. 

I hope this helps :D 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By yonaguni
      A very old farm house early 1800's id say..it was or sale what i found in here was unlike anything id every found before

A  large roomy house

thats an old piano..

This was the 1stof a few finds..the painting was bolted to the wall...seemed hard to remove without destroying it

this might have something to do with this next room

the words die die die die...carved into a bedroom door with a padlock on it

the walls inside the room had scratches all over them...

translate anyone

caught 2 clear voices in this room

A room with carpet on the door

the mist in on the left...what could that be..

the house was for sale cheap but noone wanted to buy it...it was eventually torn down...

I caught two clear voices in the bathroom ...you can hear the word paris(which is my name)..and boo..i heard footsteps while i was there but nothing on film...i reget not taking that painting..hope it was save befor it bwas torn down...

• By Punk
      History

Owned and operated by Philadelphia Electric Company (now Exelon), the Port Richmond power generation station was built from 1919 to 1925. Designed by architect John T. Windrim and engineer W.C.L. Eglin, the coal-fired electrical generation plant was placed into service in 1925 and the station’s Neoclassical Revival design was used by the company to reflect permanence, stability, and responsibility. As designed, the station was to contain three distinct generating components; each component was to consist of a boiler house to produce steam, a turbine hall, and a switch gear building to control power distribution. At its peak, the Port Richmond station’s four huge steam turbines had a capacity of 600 megawatts.

Explore

This was the first mooch of a 3 week trip to the States.
      Philadelphia was a very interesting experience. Within 36 hours of arriving in Philly, I witnessed a racial gun incident, got pulled by the local law enforcement and saw a cop attacked with a firework. A week before I arrived the Eagles won their first Superbowl and the locals trashed the city in celebration. Interesting city, Philadelphia.
      Mooched around here with a guy from Montana and we enjoyed a few beers while walking around. Nice quiet explore, only interrupted when a scrappy followed us around briefly. I had been looking forward to this for months, and it was made better by the mist that had rolled in from the Delaware River.

(1)

(4)

(5)

(6)

(7)

(8)

(9)

(10)

(11)

(12)

(13)

(14)

(15)

(

(16)

(17)

(18)

(19)

(20)

(21)

(22)

(23)

(24)

(25)

Cheers for Looking

• By peanutbutter_crackers
      I was suppose to visit this location with several friends 7 yrs ago but it got cancelled and I don't recall why. Then shortly after people were getting arrested here and it was off the list by most explorers. A couple years ago photos started popping up from here so I planned a visit. The only bad part was I no longer lived a couple hours away and was now about 7 so it was quite a trip. I managed to get here twice thankfully and these photos are from both trips. It's a very old campus which was started in 1828 for the rich mentally ill and other buildings were built as time progressed. For a time they practiced eugenics here which then became outlawed.  The  asylum closed in the 70's  and was vacant till years later when a few of of the buildings were used as a medium- security prison.  It was then sold to a developer who has converted  several of the buildings to apartments and continues to do so.  This place is most known for it's lovely spiral staircase in the admin building. It seems most come here , shoot that and leave.....but there's so much more here that is photo worthy in that building as well as the others. It's impossible to walk quietly in here as the old wooden floors creak with every step...it was really annoying trying to be stealthy. Also a lot of the floors and walls are leaning so badly that at times it felt like you were in a fun house with the odd angles. However having said that everything is in excellent condition here with only a few minor areas with some water/weather damage. Side note the patient cemetery is also located on the grounds which is in this set.

• By Ben
      Found this place by comparing a vague YouTube video and some info I've found here and there, then confirmed with Google maps satellite. Place was pretty big, but unfortunately pretty destroyed by vandals over time. Here are some pictures I took on my scouting trip there. Will go back for more/better shots.

• By Ben
      Looking for locations preferably in Virginia, but neighboring states can turn into a camping trip easily. Ive been to Western state hospital, Eastern state hospital. I know about Renaissance Fair. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated (pm me obviously. Can you private message on this forum??🙄).
      Happy exploring!