Germany Small Chapel - Visited in December '16

The small chapel is idyllically situated on the hillside. Standing at the foot of the hill, the building is almost invisble. Thanks to the season, the knowing eye is able to spot the chapel between the sparse vegetation. Following up the slope for few minutes, a small weather-beaten wall appears. Climibing up the wall, there´s a small, overgrown path to follow.

Inside the chapel it´s silent. Peaceful. The roof is full of holes - traces of the ravages of time. Ivy climbs steadily through the biggest of them. There´s still a large crucifix on the wall. The detailed depiction of Jesus is still in an unbelievable excellent condition. While Jesus looks as good as new, everything around him is decaying relentlessly. 

Unfortunately, I hardly have any information about the chapel. Old commemorative plaques testify that the chapel was probably errected by a local noble family. The building should be far more than 100 years old by now. 

Edited by franconiangirl

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Andy
      Once the magnificent property in East Germany housed a spa building. Around 1950, the building was converted into a hotel, which was given the name of a Duchess. In the 90s, it was closed for cost reasons, since it decays visibly.
      The Explore
      Access was easy; the front door was locked, but some open windows and a open door at the back.
      My first visit was in 2011. Now I returned to see how the building has changed over the past seven years.
      Many ceilings and floors had collapsed meanwhile, and some areas I could't enter therefore. Unfortunately, some things were destroyed by vandalism or were stolen. For example, all banisters and the ornamented window arches. But on the other hand, the natural decay of the past few years has been very interesting.

Here are also a few comparison pictures and some photos from 2011 of rooms that couldn't be entered anymore today.

21 - Also this rose has been gone due to the collapse of the ceiling.

• By Andy
      The Spa house was built within three years in the mid-20th century. It offered space for 100 beds and has an auditorium with 540 seats. Inside of the theater it was so dark that I had to expose about 2 minutes despite high ISO. The other rooms were empty or locked, so I took no pictures there.     1   2   3   4   5  
    • By sj9966
      I'm sure you all know this place first hand, it was a very popular place and it's had a lot of Urbex traffic pass through it.
      Visited with Rusty on a Sheffield day trip back in September 2011
      A real cool old place, I'm not sure of it's current status.

• By darbians
      Sadly this place is no more. One of my first explores last year, it may please some of you to see non processed images from myself too
      Here is abit of history from Geograph:
      The Norfolk Lunatic Asylum was situated in Yarmouth Road, Thorpe St Andrew near Norwich. The architects were Francis Stone and John Brown (Norfolk County Surveyors) and Robinson Cornish and Gaymer of North Walsham. The County Asylum was intended specifically for pauper lunatics and was only the second institution of its kind when completed in early 1814. The buildings were originally designed for the reception of 40 male patients in April 1814, followed by female patients in June of the same year. Roughly 70 patients were present on average in the early years. Extensions in 1831 and 1840 allowed this number to double and more substantial additions in the late 1850s as well as the construction of an auxiliary asylum, which was completed in 1881, some 700 inpatients could be accommodated. The auxiliary asylum or annexe is situated to the north of the main buildings, on the other side of Yarmouth Road, connected by a lane that was carried over the main road by a bridge. In April 1889 the institution was re-titled the Norfolk County Asylum, and after its modernisation into 'a hospital for mental disorders' (with reorganisation into distinct male and female asylums) there was room for more than 1,000 patients.
      To read it all look here:
      Sorry no tripod So a few flash shots have been used!
      17 Hope you enjoyed thanks for having a look.
    • By Ghost-Scooter
      Hidden behind the trees of a small wood I found this nice mansion. It is abandoned at least since 4 years and nevertheless happily free of any kind of vandalism.
      DSC00404-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr
      DSC00449-Bearbeitet by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr
      DSC00423-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr
      DSC00422-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr
      DSC00444-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr
      DSC00410-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr
      DSC00417-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr
      DSC00413-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr
      DSC00445-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr
      DSC00412-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr
      DSC00446-Bearbeitet by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr
      DSC00408-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr