Angels05Astra

UK
Harperbury Hospital 04/2017

Posted (edited)

This was our First ever Explore

Lets start with some history.......

Kingsley Green is a mental health and learning Disability site located in Hertfordshire England just southeast of the village of London Colney. It was known as Harperbury Hospital for 61 years and has been a fixture of the areas Mental Health scene since 1982. It had two sister institutions Shenley Hospital & Napsbury Hospital.

In 1924 the County Council purchased Porters Park Estate, Totaling 420 aces. The area was to become the site of both Harperbury & Shenley Hospitals.

October 1982 the hangers certified Institution was launched. The new mental hospital was named for the remaining areodrome hangers on site.

The first patients were eight males who were put to the task of cleaning out the hangers, which were converted into wards for use by other patients. Soon eighty-six malepatents lived and worked on site. 

In 1929 construction of new buildings for both Harperbury & Shenley site began. The new buildings of the Hangers Institution were arranged along three loop roads. The administaration building was at the front, just off Harper Lane.

The first of the new buildings opended in February 1931 and by December 1931 the institution housed 342 male patients. The complex was completed in 1936 in accommodated male, female and pediatric patients.

It was said at times 700 persons were employed at a time in the construction of the hospital.

The institition was renamed Middlesex Colney in May 1936. 

Middlesex Colney as intended to be as self-sufficent as possible, with the desire that patients capable of working would work at various tasks.

Male patients provided labour for the farming ventures of the institutions. Fruits, vegetables were raised and cattle, pigs and chickens were raised also. Milk was sold to Shenly hospital. Men worked i the works shops to provide needed goods for the hospitals such as clothes, shoes, brushes and upholstery. The also performed carpentry.

Female patients worked in the laundry and kitchens and helped keep the wards clean.

Even pediatric paients were given duties. Also a school was biult for the children.

When World War 2 erupted, Middlesex Colney had 1,194 paients. The hospital operated as before other than nightlight was extinguished or blacked out to prevent it becoming a target for German bombing raids.

During the 1950s Harperbury had 1,464 beds.

By late 2001 Harperbury had only about 200 paients and Haperbuy was Officailly Closed.

Thats some history on the place.

As for this it was our First ever urban explore and i have to say still one of my favriotes. We had herd and been told loads of rumors about the place but that did not stop us. We knew they had security on site and scouted it when we got there and kept a close eye on there hut as we moved about the site with only one flashlight on us (a learning cure i guess) it was not the brightest light thats for sure. I used my phone for light in the end and took a few pictures.My other half was videoing the whole thing which was good fun. so this set us up for more urban exploring so we now have the urbex bug. these are not the greatest pics i was using my phone to do them at the time. we do plan on going back to Harperbury for a 3rd visit still much to see there.

Not sure where all my photos have gone but this is a few of them.  Enjoy.

IMG_0157

IMG_0158

IMG_0171IMG_0177

IMG_0178

IMG_0184

Edited by Angels05Astra

Thanks for sharing, this side of the site has seen better days for sure.

Well done on getting out and about wil be good to see more from you :thumb 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Urbexbandoned
      History

Chamberlin & Hill Castings Ltd have been manufacturing in Leicester since 1864 and are part of the successful Chamberlin & Hill plc group.
      They produce castings from 0.1 kgs to 6000 kgs supplying product for turbines, transmissions, oil and gas compressors, earth moving equipment, vacuum pumps and more. Metal types include Ductile Iron (SG Iron), Grey Iron and Alloyed Iron. The company is also a world leader using Austempered Ductile Iron (ADI). Medium castings were done at the Leicester site.
      Chamberlin & Hill Castings Ltd is the result of two successful foundries joining together. The existing company scattered around various sites company currently has 200 employees and a turnover of over £19 million. With demand for products produced here repidly decreasing the company decided to close at the end of 2016.

Explore

After seeing this pop up from AndyK! me and @hamtagger decided to venture over to Leicester, picking up @Session9 on the way!
      After finding our way in relatively quickly, we made our way through the place.
      The place is a nice size, dotted with various rooms used for offices and laboratories and obviously the workshops and main
      There is such a vast amount of stuff still here but with only having closed at the end of last year explains why.
      So much to see and we spent quite a few hours just wandering.
      Doing what I normally do and venturing off on my own from the others I was happily just looking around the place. I walked up some stairs and needed the loo. I decided to just take some pics of the few rooms upstairs before going so off I went. On the way back I walked down a little alley bit to go to the toilet. On the way I heard someone coughing. I stopped and suddenly realised that they didnt sound at all like anyone I was with so made my way back downstairs. I found a little dark corner and texted hamtagger to ask if he or session9 had just been to the toilet. He replied "No!". Oh great. So I went to find them who were on the other side of the building and get that section done. Convinced that either there was someone else in there or they were playing a joke on me we actually got round alot of the place. It was only when we went back upstairs to do the offices that upon glancing outside we saw secca walking about glancing up at the windows. The offices were only right above his office.
      Well, we stayed put and went right to the top. We heard him come up stairs, have another pee quite loudly and when he walked up nearly had a heart attack when he walked in to the room and saw us all stood there. Pretty friendly bloke though and kindly allowed us to walk out the front gate  All in all a great explore, definitely one I would return to.
      Anyway, enough of my rambling and on to the pics.

I didnt take a crooked pic, I just liked how the labels were wonky

A lot of machines here bearing the same logo for Wadkin, the same company I believe which closed some years ago too also from Leicester. 

Thanks for looking!

• By Angels05Astra
      Originally built in 1910 as Mountain Ash Cottage Hospital, it opened as a general hospital in 1924.
      It closed in 2011 when Ysbyty Cwm Cynon Opened.
      This was a stop on our first day in Wales  think it was our third stop off that da.
      The ease of access means the place have been completely trashed and all the windows smashed and gone also a lot of roof tiles have also gone. Kid seemed to be using it as a party house so we kept clear of them and just done our thing.

Found it rather funny towards the end when a lad came up and asked were we paranormal investigators??! urm no mate. My poor other half looked at me like I had gone made and proceeded to ask what the F**k did he say? I stood and giggled and told him what the lad had asked to get a "How the hell did you understand what he said?" lol.

I have over 135 photos.... but wont upload them all but you can always look on my Flickr account....

There's lots more pictures on my Flickr Please feel free to check them out.....:)
    • By Angels05Astra
      Naturopathic mean - A system of alternative medicine based on the theory that diseases can be successfully treated or prevented without the use of drugs. By techniques such as control of diet, exercise and massage.
      I tried to research this place but yet again i drew a blank.
      It is set in 27 acres of Essex countryside.
      Could not get into the main building all entry's were blocked off and looked as it the care home across the way was using the back of the main building as storage.
      Photos..

Photos done with phone.
    • By Angels05Astra
      Unfortunately I could not find much out about this place not for the want of trying.
      I did find out that is was up for sale in July 2011 but that's all I can find.
      It is across from a train station it was a 6 bedroom detached house with many out buildings which were completely run down. This place had been trashed from top to bottom looks like there had been a fire at some stage and the basement was completely flooded.It did look as if someone had once started to refurbish then I'm guessing that's when the fire happened. Since then it looks as if it has just been left to ruin.
      Some pics....

I did have more photos but yet again something went wrong!
    • By Angels05Astra
      I have searched and searched online for information about this place and have come up blank every-time. This was a farm house which had a guest house across from it from what i can make out.The farm house has been standing there for years long before i started driving as the first time i saw this place i was about 16/17 years old. 
      The farm house is destroyed no other words for it the roof is all caved in as are the floors and the basement can now be seen. Its also had a fire at some point as has the guest house.
      We visited this one Friday evening as my partners son really wanted to see what it was we explored and do his own videos!

So excuse the pics i was getting used to my camera it was the first time since i had got it that i tried it out.....

We started in the guest house.

Still old wallpaper remaining.

Now some of the farm house.

Disclaimer

Oblivion State exists as an online forum to allow like minded individuals to share their experiences of Urban Exploration. We do not condone breaking and entering or other criminal activity and advise all members to read the FAQ articles about the forum and urban exploring in general. All posts are the responsibility of the original poster and all images remain copyright to the original photographer.

We would just like to thank

Forum user AndyK! from Behind Closed Doors for our rather excellent new logo.

All of our fantastic team of Moderators who volunteer their time to keep this place running smoothly.

All of our members for continuing to support Oblivion State by posting up the most awesome content. Thank you everyone!