The_Raw

France Ouvrage Rochonvillers & Camp d'Angevillers, France - May 2017

The Maginot Line, named after the French Minister of War André Maginot, was a line of concrete fortifications, obstacles, and weapon installations built by France in the 1930s to deter invasion by Germany. It was constructed along the borders with Switzerland, Germany, and Luxembourg. Ouvrage translates as "works" in English: published documents in both English and French refer to these fortifications in this manner, rather than as "forts". An ouvrage typically consists of a series of concrete-encased strongpoints on the surface, linked by underground tunnels with common underground works (shops, barracks, and factories etc.). Constructions started in the early 1930s. They served during the Second World War, and were often reused during the Cold War before being gradually abandoned by the French army. 

Ouvrage Rochonvillers

Ouvrage Rochonvillers is one of the largest of the Maginot Line fortifications. Located above the town of Rochonvillers in the French region of Lorraine, the gros ouvrage or large work was fully equipped and occupied in 1935 as part of the Fortified Sector of Thionville in the Moselle. It is located between the petit ouvrage d'Aumetz and the gros ouvrage Molvange, facing the border between Luxembourg and France with nine combat blocks. Rochonvillers saw little action during World War II, but due to its size it was repaired and retained in service after the war. During the Cold War it found a new use as a hardened military command center, first for NATO and then for the French Army until 1998. The ouvrage remains under the control of the French Army.  

Sadly the bunker has suffered badly from fire damage throughout and has been ransacked. Only a few areas remain intact. Visited with @Maniac, @Andy,@extreme_ironing and Elliot5200.

1. Camouflaged entrance

33728709644_acb755f018_b.jpg

2. No stairs in here, just a long ramp taking you underground

34305525350_a932ef893e_b.jpg

3. Fire damage is immediately evident 

33728702524_795df2fa77_b.jpg

33761390023_a2da91b6e9_b.jpg

5. Burnt bed frames

33848069484_380b9e77dd_b.jpg

34441098871_94c68d547f_c.jpg

7. A large section has been rebuilt with mundane breeze blocks for the Cold war era, this was updated in the 80s

33761360523_8cf3307bb3_b.jpg

8. Lecture theatre with torn projection screen

34185476320_39887084ba_b.jpg

34530448876_9df5eedaa6_b.jpg

34571291755_8daf88ff93_b.jpg

34559882291_8d524cbf9d_b.jpg

33880633873_4a4943a1dd_b.jpg

34571299555_6dfa3723e3_b.jpg

14. An entire block of bedrooms remains in good condition with all the beds still in place

34528662442_2a938f55ea_b.jpg

33728615554_b8f04e31e1_b.jpg

34409572442_1894b00672_b.jpg

17. These engines also still in reasonable condition considering.

33728634534_50e1754a67_b.jpg

34185442500_b30d29c704_b.jpg

19. Control room, sadly ripped to pieces now. 

33728661124_0bedb4febb_b.jpg

20. How it looked in the 90s, a glimpse of how nice this place might have been when it was immaculate. Shame it's so trashed now. 

34652363486_e1627e4e09_z.jpg

Camp d'Angevillers

The camp of Angevillers is part of a barracks located near ouvrages Molvange and Rochonvillers. It was built at the same time as the Maginot line, construction was completed in April 1933. It is now used occasionally for military exercises. All the buildings were pretty much empty but still made for a nice wander.

33859957403_3592b555a0_b.jpg

34299597790_9a5f8021f7_b.jpg

33859094173_1a3822bfc6_b.jpg

33859090823_1c42b67a4e_b.jpg

33826515834_a875730e1a_b.jpg

33859120383_625f9c125c_b.jpg

33841934684_489a5878c0_b.jpg

34668853785_93f1ba559b_b.jpg

34684747045_2ed5a3a4cf_b.jpg

30. Inside the water tower

34299583550_653946ab14_c.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Um, I also was there with you ... ;) 

It was an exhausting but nice day. I like the photo from the barracks with the small tree in front of the window.

:D 

I think I'll go there again sometime. Further back there are some more buildings of the barracks.

Looks pretty cool. Unbelievable things are still there. Very nice repo!

Oh I like stuff like this, and thats a flipping cool place. I like how that control area looked when it was mint, such a shame about the fire/trashing of the site.

I've slept a few times in places like that in the UK, but in bunkbeds with 4 levels. It's ok until you get up in the middle of the night for a piss and forget you're up there and have to freefall to the floor half-asleep :eek:

:comp: 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By The_Raw
      A while back I posted a report from a creme de la menthe location called Chateau a la Mange Tout. This sanatorium sits on the same site, not bad having two half decent explores right next to each other, joie de vivre! I meant to post a report at the time but never got round to it. It wasn't massively photogenic so I only took a load of hand held shots but there was a fair bit of stuff inside. Bon appetit, as the French would say                                                                                               Last but not least we had a quick peek inside the morgue, no slab but some body fridges left behind.   Tres bien ensemble    
    • By Gromr123
      This one is from earlier on in the year during a trip to France/Luxembourg, one I thought worth posting up here!

Chateau Lumiere needs no introduction, a magnificent building with such grandeur its hard to believe its been abandoned. The huge glass skylight allows daylight to illuminate all the floors, making for wonderful lighting. During the last few years Chateau Lumiere become a bit of a tourist destination, with vandals smashing the large mirror in the big foyer. Luckily its fared well over its many years of dereliction and is still one of the most beautiful buildings I have had the pleasure of exploring.

History

Built in early 1900s, this house was owned by a tobacco tycoon from Switzerland. After the owner moved away in 1950s, the house was used for business purposes, and was sold multiple times before finally being left empty. 
      There isn't a confirmed date it was abandoned, but the general consensus seems to say its in the 1980s. 

The Explore

After finally finding the location of it and seeing it was a reasonable distance from Luxembourg where were staying for 2 weeks, it  became a must do. We found a charming cheap hotel in the next town over and booked a night there. 
      Finally the day was upon us and were there, stood outside awestruck by the Neo-Baroque styling of Lumiere.
      We looked for a way inside and quickly found a well beaten track round the back. As we approached I could hear voices inside.
      We definitely weren't the only visitors that day, in fact there were loads of people wondering around inside! 
      Most other people were explorers like us, however some weren't there to take photos as it turned out a bit later...

We started with the basement and worked upwards. The basement actually had quite a bit of stuff still left there, unlike the rest of the floors that were bare to say the least. In fact the house was almost empty from the ground floor up. All the fittings and fixtures remained, but no personal items were left at all. 
      We photographed it from nearly every angle we could think of. The best thing about Lumiere is just how photogenic it is. Its hard to take a bad picture.
      It was a fairly relaxed explore, until we witnessed a group of 12 year olds smashing the glass skylight and then coming downstairs smashing bricks onto the marble floor. The red-mist descended as I yelled down at them at them from one of the skylight balcony's while waving my arms around like a loony. I must have looked like a madman. 
      They didn't understand my English, I certainly didn't understand their French. Luckily they didn't stick around much longer to do any more damage. 

With the drama over we got back to the explore, now alone in the house. 
      We spent about 3 hours inside in total, but you could easily spent much longer there if you wanted to photograph everything. 
      One thing that struck me was the quality of every little detail. Silly things like the latches on the windows still work flawlessly and feels better made and smoother than any modern window latch I've used before. 

Anyway, on with the photos.

Photos

Externals

Internals

In the porch there is this notice, translates roughly too:

"Many of us have seen that you like this in all its splendor. Photographers, Models, Fans of Urbex, but some unscrupulous individuals do not respect...Alas!
      Yet you are known everywhere for your splendor, and the sublime cliches that you have brought us.
      Today April 19, 2015 we owe you this ... to give you a bit of sparkle ... after the vandalism that you have undergone.
      Thank you to those who will preserve you forever
      Respect this place as you would at home
      PLEASE!
      Do not break! Do not vandalize it..
      Do not leave rubbish, paper etc..

Bring your waste back with you.."

The entrance hall and foyer.

Sadly this used to be where the the large mirror was, but was broken in 2015.

A rather interesting choice of wallpaper...

Recent damage to the glass skylight.

Saw this in the loft and couldn't help but get a photo too

The Details

The Basement

• By WildBoyz
      History

Ouvrage Latiremont is a gros ouvrage (large work) of the Maginot Line – a line of concrete fortifications, obstacles and weapon installations built by France in the 1930s to deter invasion by Germany. The site of Ouvrage Latiremont was selected and approved by the Commission d’Organisation des Régions Fortifiées (CORF) in 1931. It cost eighty-eight million francs (approximately twelve million in pound sterling) to construct the fortification. The design of Ouvrage Latiremont is known as a casemate fortress – a fortified or armoured structure, also referred to as a vaulted chamber, from which guns are fired. Once completed, 75mm and 81mm guns were installed and a second phase was planned, to add additional 75mm and 135mm gun turret blocks. However, the second phase of the development never went ahead as the funding was allocated elsewhere. 

Latiremont has two main entrances and six combat blocks (three infantry blocks and three artillery). It also comprises more than five kilometres of underground tunnels and galleries; these are at an average depth of thirty metres. A small narrow-gauge railway system, which was connected to a regional military railway system, once linked all six sections of the fortress and it was used to transport supplies, such as equipment, food and ammunition. There were said to be several stations inside Latiremont which were large enough to service and store large trains. Once fully operational, Latiremont was placed under the command of Commandant Pophillat. Pophillat had twenty-one officers and five-hundred and eighty men of the 149th Fortress Infantry Regiment at his disposal. 

Following the 1939 invasion of Poland, Britain and France declared war on Germany. Thereafter, between the September 1939 and June 1940, Latiremont fired over 14,4  52 75mm rounds and 4,234 81mm rounds at German forces. The fortress, though, was not directly attacked until June 1940. On the 21st June 1940, the German 161st Division led by Colonel Gerhard Wilck, which brought 210mm howitzers and 305mm siege mortars with them, launched their attack against Latiremont. While the attack was underway, a small number of German units moved to the rear of the Maginot Line where they were able to cut power and communications. Despite heavy resistant from Latiremont and nearby fortress Fermont, firing ceased on 25th June and both garrisons surrendered to the German forces on 27th June. For the remainder of the war, the area was used for a German propaganda film, to document the June 1940 attacks, but it did not see any further significant fighting. 

In 1951 the French government attempted to restore many of the northeastern ouvrages, to defend against a potential advance by the Warsaw Pact. However, following the establishment of the French Nuclear Strike Force, the importance of the Maginot Line diminished. Latiremont was subsequently abandoned by the military in 1967. Today, the fortress remains abandoned and has suffered heavily from water ingress. 

Our Version of Events

Aside from drinking beer, this explore was our reason for being on the other side of the English Channel. We weren’t certain at all if the place would be doable, but after reading about it we decided it was probably worth the risk. Nonetheless, towards the end of our trip there was a sudden drop in team morale. This resulted in us taking a vote in an Aldi car park, over French bread and Biscoff, on whether or not we should crack on and drive for three more hours to reach Latiremont, or turn tail and check out a few old manors as we headed back to the ferry terminus. With the votes all in and tucked nicely into a hat, we made a short ceremony out of revealing the results. In the end, the remainers won, four to two, so there would be no leaving Europe just yet. 

We finished off our Biscoff and spent our remaining Euros on food in Aldi before we set off for Latiremont. Our combined wealth got us a couple of tins of beans, a box of mushrooms and some spices to sprinkle on top. Someone did offer to buy our car in the car park after we got the supplies in, but we had to insist we really needed it to get home to England. The potential buyer still didn’t seem to see that as a problem though. It was quite a mission to shake him. 

The drive over to the border of Luxembourg was very pleasant. We played some banging tunes and arrived at the location with plenty of time to spare. At first, we had anticipated that finding the fortress in the forest would be quite a challenge, but as it turned out we stumbled across it within ten minutes of being there. Gaining access to the gros ouvrage was a little more tricky of course – it is a military fortress after all! 

Once inside, we found ourselves in a standard-looking bunker. There were signs and evidence that guns had been positioned in here, and at first we thought that was that. Most bunkers we’ve entered have been fairly compact and bare, and you can usually get through all the rooms very quickly. Our minds were blown, then, when we discovered a lift shaft and, after peering down to see how high it was, realised we couldn’t see the bottom. Obviously extremely excited at the point, at the prospect the place was going to be absolutely huge, we began to make our way down a staircase next to the lift shaft. 

We made our way down the steps, which went on for a long, long time, until we reached the bottom where we found ourselves in a cold tunnel surrounded by enormous blast doors. It was at this point we realised we’d underestimated how big this place really is. For the next few hours, then, we made our way through different snaking tunnels, and explored many side rooms and chambers leading off from them. One of the best parts of the explore that we came across was some sort of old gun turret. There were plenty of others things to see as well though. This place was certainly a bit of a time capsule. The only problem, however, was that we started to lose track of where we were inside the fortress. It’s very easy to get lost in the labyrinth-like corridors and rooms and we’d eaten all the bread earlier in the day, so making a breadcrumb trail had been out of the question. Eventually, we felt as though we were well and truly lost so decided it was time to find a way back to the surface. It took a little while, and a few false turns, before we found a tunnel that sort of looked familiar. We followed it and, thankfully, ended up back where we started. 

All in all, then, this explore was absolutely fantastic – certainly one of the best military fortifications we’ve ever explored. It’s also steeped in interesting history about the war. Anyone who happens to find themselves near Luxembourg should definitely pay this place a visit. You never know your luck after all, you might find a way inside like we did. 

Explored with Ford Mayhem, MKD, Rizla Rider, The Hurricane and Husky. 

1:

2:

3:

4:

5:

6:

7:

8:

9:

10:

11:

12:

13:

14:

15:

16:

17:

18:

19:

20:

21:

22:

23:

24:

25:

26:

27:

28:

29:

30:

31:

32:

33:

34:

35:

36:

37:

38:

39:

40:

41:

42:

43:

44:

45:

46:

• By prettypeculiar
      Right,
      Found out i still had an active membership here and kind of forgot about it (The ADHD is strong in this one) So I decided to start posting again, since I'd like to get some honest/valuable feedback on my pictures and that is something i am surely missing on social media.

So here it goes.

Visited this castle in July 2017. I really like the decay and that there's so little graffiti. Seems like most vandals forgot this castle which made me happy. 

Disclaimer

Oblivion State exists as an online forum to allow like minded individuals to share their experiences of Urban Exploration. We do not condone breaking and entering or other criminal activity and advise all members to read the FAQ articles about the forum and urban exploring in general. All posts are the responsibility of the original poster and all images remain copyright to the original photographer.

We would just like to thank

Forum user AndyK! from Behind Closed Doors for our rather excellent new logo.

All of our fantastic team of Moderators who volunteer their time to keep this place running smoothly.

All of our members for continuing to support Oblivion State by posting up the most awesome content. Thank you everyone!