I've got a bit of a thing for theatres and cinemas and this one had been tightly sealed for many years and had the reputation of being a real tough nut to crack. When I heard there was a whiff of a chance I realised that I had to act quick if I was to get inside this rather special place. I'm certainly glad I made the effort!

Here's a bit of history n' stuff - 

The ABC Cinema is Grade II listed. It rounds the corner of Lime Street and is one of the first historic buildings, still standing, that visitors see when leaving Lime Street Station.

ABC acquired the building in 1930, known as The Forum, it opened a year later to become one of the finest cinemas of the era.

The six storey exterior was designed by A. E. Shannon and its sleek portland stone has very little decoration other than motifs over the entrance. Despite this, the building remains a very distinct feature on Lime Street. The building is listed for its grand interior, which was later subdivided, which is said to remain one of designer William R. Glen's best cinemas.

There's a news report from December 2016 reporting that the City Council had sold the building to Neptune Investments who say “The next major phase of Lime Street regeneration is now coming forward with the refurbishment and re-opening of the former ABC cinema building on the corner of Lime Street as a major new music and live entertainment venue for the city.”

A planning application is due to be submitted shortly, with an aim of giving the city a venue of "international standing", that will see the former cinema converted to hold crowds of up to 1,500 for live performances in its famous auditorium, with complementary ancillary uses.

34924998745_a100e6c8b0_c.jpg

34924990695_e402a5c593_c.jpg

34537854990_aa7bdc5636_c.jpg

34793060711_3a2ffcfdf3_c.jpg

34081975104_f29cc7e164_c.jpg

34793058341_acc2a01ff7_c.jpg

34793063471_c9f9ae0fa6_c.jpg

34081979274_e67dc86a2a_c.jpg

34081959004_b57145e40b_c.jpg

34537857400_59b56cfdcf_c.jpg

34081961384_45d477e6b5_c.jpg

Oh that looks well nice in there, that red really makes for nice pictures :). We had a look around here ages ago when we were in the area but didn't have any luck unfortunately :( 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By jw94
      Not a lot about this place, I believe the bowling part shut down in 2009 and then the crystal maze part shut down in 2010. Oakwood own this place and have no plans for it besides letting it rot away. Whoever is trying to look after this place is attempting to keep people out. Heard about this place from a different site, easy to find, such a pain in the arse to get into as there's a very tight gap to try and squeeze through..

Thee maze is bigger than first thought, only uploaded a few pictures of that. 

• By jones-y-gog
      One from the vault. Did a quick search on this one and surprisingly saw very little in the way of reports - so thought I'd share my take on it.

Back in the day this place was quite infamous - mostly it seems due to the few 'bad apples' that lurk within the exploring community. Stories of looting and selling out to the media were rife. 

It is quite a special place for me as its the kind of place that's close to where my ancestors lived and I can imagine its the kind of place they would call home. Its located in a wild and isolated place, it would have been a harsh and bleak landscape to live in at times but in its own way stunning and beautiful. 

I visited twice in the early part of 2015. The house had obviously been left unoccupied a very long time until it suddenly appeared on the radar. The owners had become aware of this and tried securing it.  On my first visit I noticed a big new shiny padlock was in place on the outhouse. When I returned about a month later the whole door had been smashed. A little later all doors and windows were boarded up, leading to an unofficial renaming by one clever wordsmith as Shroud Cottage. It appears that also didn't deter those with no sense of respect in the search for 15 minutes of Facebook fame. 

Enough of the backstory and on with the pictures:

• By stevieboy
      Say "Saltersgate Inn" on our away weekend and the reading is fascinating

https://www.thewhitbyguide.co.uk/the-legend-of-the-saltersgate-inn-part-1/
    • By BritishRanger
      The Ark Synagogue, Liverpool. Also known as Greenbank Synagogue.

History -

My visit -

I visited this site recently with two friends that I run the facebook page 0151 Outdoors with, if you are on facebook, give us a like!

Well, I dont really know if this can be classed as a report, haven't had too much luck on my first few explores, but I'm not letting that stop me.  This time, I arrived on site, and took a few pictures of the exterior before two dodgy blokes of possibly eastern european descent came running around the corner, shouting about how the building is ''TOP SECRET''

They weren't too frightening, so I grabbed a few pictures as I walked off the grounds, the guy in the last picture told me as I was leaving, ''£10 pictures outside, £20 pictures inside'' but I think I'd rather try again in future, its part of the fun. I dont know how true it is, but apparently the building is now owned by a man from Pakistan, and a lot of bits from inside have been removed.

Anyway, these are just a couple of the pictures I took of the exterior, shame I didnt get inside as it looks interesting on other peoples reports.