GK WAX

UK Sunnyside Royal Hospital, Montrose - August 2017

History:

Sunnyside Royal Hospital, originally called the Montrose Asylum, was a psychiatric hospital located north of Montrose in Scotland.

Sunnyside was the second site for the local psychiatric hospital in Angus. The original Montrose Asylum, which was the first asylum in Scotland, was funded by public subscription established by local woman Susan Carnegie and opened in 1781. Expanding patient numbers led to the purchase of a new site in Hillside and the current hospital buildings opened in 1857.

The site was further developed with the construction of a new facility for private patients called Carnegie House in 1899. Despite this addition, overcrowding was a problem, as the asylum’s patient numbers had grown to 670 by 1900. Two new buildings – Howden Villa (1901) and Northesk Villa (1904) – were added. Additional staff were recruited and the Westmount Cottages were built in 1905 to house them. In 1911 the lease of Sunnyside Farm expired and over 52 acres were purchased for £4500. A further development was the addition of Angus House, which was built in 1939 to accommodate elderly patients suffering from dementia.

From the 1970s, advances in psychiatric care and greater community resources, including supported accommodation and the set up of three community mental health teams in the 1990s, led to reduced patient numbers and the closure of some of the buildings on the Sunnyside site.

The whole site was officially closed in late 2011 and most patients were sent to a new £20 million build at Stracathro Hospital (also in Angus) - the Susan Carnegie Centre. Others were placed in the community. Sunnyside was open for 230 years before its closure, and was the oldest psychiatric hospital in Scotland.

Visit:

Covering the whole place Vastly in around 8 hours and probably missing some parts out was definitely worth the 12 hour-round trip. Hearing people mentioning silent alarms, secca & police in other reports had me a little skeptical about how short our explore would be, But with a week of planning and very early darting the explore was a success!! Another one ticked off my list!

Visisted with a non member.

also a thanks to @AndyK! for some info. top man.

1) The front of the hospital

35739010504_9beb4aa380_c.jpg

2) Glass corridor

35739010584_4d891002d4_c.jpg

3) One of the main corridors in the main building

36405563262_92f91923ba_c.jpg

4) The main hall

36405563132_07b696192d_c.jpg

5) Curtains left hanging in a ward

36177393400_e604143b9c_c.jpg

6) Corridors of the many isolation cell wards

35764583283_11e629fae7_c.jpg

7)

36177394730_5028cf6576_c.jpg

8) 

36573999945_b7cc92c3a7_c.jpg

9) 

36527397796_6e1a5eb66d_c.jpg

10) A different ward from the Infirmary 

36574000685_ba5fd3c925_c.jpg

11) Violent patients would have their teeth removed to minimize "biting"

36405563342_4f0d560e6f_c.jpg

12) Body Fridge

36573999635_6828093040_c.jpg

13) Body fridge with a body lift

36177394520_1c4d5c8321_c.jpg

14) The chapel of rest

36177394780_21993f3eed_c.jpg

15) Main chapel with pews removed

36405563322_ef4877b470_c.jpg

16) Zodiac roof from the doctors Billiards room

36574000705_2c50a374dd_c.jpg

17)  More isolation cells in the basement

36574000085_c9944f0b7d_c.jpg

18) Marble floors are Popular in the outer buildings

35764102003_0d024047d6_c.jpg

Thanks for looking

GK WAX

• Like 3

Top stuff that, and good to see a recent update on the place :) I don't think i've seen that chapel area before :) 

Featured :thumb 

:comp: 

• Thanks 1

On 23/11/2017 at 7:47 PM, Dubbed Navigator said:

This is what its about. Cracking write up and great pcitures to match.

Good enough, im going to share it again.

Thankyou, Im overwelmed :mad:

• Like 1