hamtagger

UK RAF Church Fenton, Tadcaster - July 2016

RAF Church Fenton

The Explore

'Twas a nice easy mooch from about a year ago with @Urbexbandoned. Because I'm so far behind in posting reports I always have to go back and read Tracey's report to jog my memory so I can write some shite here as an intro. I can remember it was a boiling hot day and the pollen levels were reading at about 4 billion parts per square metre. After hacking through a shitload of undergrowth for a good half an hour we eventually found something which resembled an RAF base. I was only a few more sneezes away from death. The jungle made it difficult to navigate around and I remember thinking at the time to make sure I returned during the winter so we could actually see where we were going, but I haven't returned since. I bunged my photo's onto my hard drive back then and only just had a look again recently, and to be honest I was pretty disappointed as they're all a bit samey. Derpy barrack blocks and a JR's mess, blah blah peely blah.. the Upwood of the future.. 

The History

First opened in 1937, RAF Church Fenton is the former home of the first American Eagle Squadrons and was formally regarded as one of the UK's most important strategic airfields, offering rapid reaction fighter defence to the industrial cities of Sheffield, Bradford and Leeds during the second World War. Now, after decades of faithful service in defence of the realm, the air station stands as a lonely hostage to both time and decay.

On 1 April 1937 the station was declared open and on 19 April the first station commander Wing Commander W.E. Swann assumed command. Within two months, No. 71 Squadron RAF had arrived with their Gloster Gladiators. During September 1940 Church Fenton became home to the first "Eagle squadron" of American volunteers - No. 71 Squadron RAF and their Brewster Buffalos and Hawker Hurricanes. The airfield was also home to both the first all-Canadian and all-Polish squadrons, No. 242 Squadron RAF and No. 306 Squadron RAF respectively.

As air warfare became a more tactical and technological pursuit, the first night-fighter Operational Training Unit was formed at Church Fenton in 1940 and some of the squadrons stationed there began to fly the famous de Havilland Mosquito. After the close of the war, the station retained its role as a fighter base, being among the first to receive modern jet aircraft, namely the Gloster Meteor and the Hawker Hunter. In later years, Church Fenton became the RAF's main Elementary Flying Training airfield.

On 25 March 2013 it was announced that Church Fenton would close by the end of 2013 and By 19 December, all units had been relocated and the airfield was closed. Some equipment was be relocated to RAF Topcliffe and MoD security continued to secure the site until disposal. A NOTAM was issued suspending the air traffic zone at the end of 2013.

The Pictures

35774690392_692a8132eb_b.jpg

35774689812_0a9441e5b0_b.jpg

3/4.

35774686242_3e3d181d88_c.jpg  35812855431_742926d493_c.jpg

35812856361_680cbcc948_b.jpg

6/7.

35812853941_34254cd5ec.jpg  35904082036_dda1d23107.jpg

35774687802_a04775c789_b.jpg

9/10.

35812854991_0cec1c630c_c.jpg  35774688282_14e9aac117_c.jpg

35945142945_733c0dc3a5_b.jpg

35774687342_7f4d63e6e1_b.jpg

35774687082_af24f1c31f_b.jpg

35945141395_02d3619211_b.jpg

35774686772_79c1df6d77_b.jpg

35774686082_3ae4c5dc71_b.jpg

35774686422_3f21f365a7_b.jpg

As always thanks for looking and feedback always appreciated :thumb 

I don't think that all pics are a bit samey. I like the peeled paint, also the moss and the light on the floor.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By sj9966
      I nipped over last night to check the fire damage.
      The only building that was on fire is the St Mary's building (which was a nurses home not a care home as I have written in this report). It has suffered damage to the right hand side of the building but is not totally burned out.

There is a planning application submitted to demolish most of the buildings on the site including St Edwards. As far as I could see there has been no descision made on it yet.
      http://planning.northwarks.gov.uk/portal/servlets/AttachmentShowServlet?ImageName=253942
      I also found this on the net (link below), it gives the whole history and a detailed report on all the buildings. There is still some unseen stuff here notably the chapel within the former St Gerards Hospital which is now offices. If demo goes ahead I'm sure it will become more accesible. It will be a shame to see these buildings go as it's a great urbex site imo.

• Guest Dubbednavigator
      By Guest Dubbednavigator
      Hi All
      As much as we all hate to see our beloved shrines of dereliction, they all eventually either get ripped down or converted
      A lot of these are good, and a lot of them are very, very bad
      What are the best ones you have seen?
      My favourite has to be Nethernene on the hill. Located just down the road from cane hill
      Its a beauty

Hall

Admin

Water tower

• By jw94
      Not a lot about this place, I believe the bowling part shut down in 2009 and then the crystal maze part shut down in 2010. Oakwood own this place and have no plans for it besides letting it rot away. Whoever is trying to look after this place is attempting to keep people out. Heard about this place from a different site, easy to find, such a pain in the arse to get into as there's a very tight gap to try and squeeze through..

Thee maze is bigger than first thought, only uploaded a few pictures of that. 

• By jones-y-gog
      One from the vault. Did a quick search on this one and surprisingly saw very little in the way of reports - so thought I'd share my take on it.

Back in the day this place was quite infamous - mostly it seems due to the few 'bad apples' that lurk within the exploring community. Stories of looting and selling out to the media were rife. 

It is quite a special place for me as its the kind of place that's close to where my ancestors lived and I can imagine its the kind of place they would call home. Its located in a wild and isolated place, it would have been a harsh and bleak landscape to live in at times but in its own way stunning and beautiful. 

I visited twice in the early part of 2015. The house had obviously been left unoccupied a very long time until it suddenly appeared on the radar. The owners had become aware of this and tried securing it.  On my first visit I noticed a big new shiny padlock was in place on the outhouse. When I returned about a month later the whole door had been smashed. A little later all doors and windows were boarded up, leading to an unofficial renaming by one clever wordsmith as Shroud Cottage. It appears that also didn't deter those with no sense of respect in the search for 15 minutes of Facebook fame. 

Enough of the backstory and on with the pictures: