Jump to content
WildBoyz

UK Heap's Rice Mill (Joseph Heap & Sons Ltd.), Liverpool - September 2017

Recommended Posts

History

Heap’s Rice Mill, which is now Grade II listed, was founded by Joseph Heap. It was constructed in 1778, on Pownall Street, Liverpool. Originally, the site operated as a small processing mill; however, additional warehouse space was constructed as demand for rice in Europe increased. The warehouse space was later combined with the mill to form one single building. The reason for Joseph Heap’s success can be attributed to the Indian Mutiny of 1857-58 and the American Civil War in 1861-65 as these events meant British traders were forced to seek out trade in other areas of the British Empire. Heap was one of the first to establish trade in British-ruled Burma. By 1864 the company was sending its own ships to acquire one thousand tons of ‘Cargo Rice’ for its Liverpool mill. Joseph Heap & Sons Ltd. became wealthy enough to own its own shipping firm which was known as Diamond H Line, named after their house flag. 

In the mid-1800s, during a period of expansion, Heap’s company constructed a number of new warehouses at various other sites across Liverpool. These buildings were used for the storage of sugar, and as additional office space. The sugar warehouses were later adapted and amalgamated into the rice mill industry. At this point in time, Joseph Heap & Sons Ltd. vessels were sailing as far as the East Indies and Australia. The original mill would also become the one that ground rice for Kellog’s Rice Krispies in 1927.

Despite several changes in ownership, Joseph Heap & Sons Ltd. main mill was still fully operational up until 1988. After this time, some operations were transferred to a new site on Regent Road. Parts of the mill on Pownall Street continued to operate until 2005. Twelve years later, however, and Heap’s original Rice Mill has decayed badly due to water damage, to the extent that it was due to be demolished in 2014. Nevertheless, a petition to save the site resulted in it being categorised as a listed building by English Heritage. This means the imposing structure remains one of the earliest and last surviving warehouse complexes in a once-thriving industrial area. It is also an important reminder of Liverpool’s rich mercantile history and overall prominence. In terms of its future, it is reported that the building is due to be converted into luxury apartments. However, the £130 million residential development has been heavily criticised because the developers threatened to pull out if they were forced to keep the interior. Subsequently, it is likely that only the original façade of the mill will survive; the interior is due to be sleek and modern. 

Our Version of Events

In the mood for a bit of action and adventure, we decided to have a drive over to Liverpool. We had a bit of business to attend to over in Scouse Land first, but plenty of time before that to get a couple of explores under our belts. We didn’t really have much of a plan, but since there are many places on our to-do list over in the North West, we had high hopes we’d get something interesting done.  

After taking a look at a site we’ve had our eye on for a while, and deciding the street was too busy for us to access it, we wandered back to where we’d parked the car. It was on the way that we spotted a very large derelict-looking building that was just ripe for the picking. It didn’t take us long to realise that this was the old Heap’s Rice Mill (the name is written on the side of the building) and that it’s rather historic. 

Finding access to the rice mill was a bit of a ball-ache to be honest. All of the ground-level doors and windows are covered with heavy-duty metal doors and shutters, so there’s no getting past those. We spent the next half an hour wracking our brains and were on the verge of giving up when we realised the way in was right in front of us. This raised our urbex-deprived spirits and ten seconds later we were inside the old mill, staring up in awe at an incredible bridge and several large tanks. The place felt absolutely huge from the inside, and it was fucked, in a nice, photogenic kind of way. The only downfall was the phenomenal amount of green fetid bird shit dripping from the roof, which was weird because there didn’t appear to be any living birds. 

Splodging our way through a good inch of crap, we made our way to the far end of the enormous alleyway we seemed to be in. From there, we found a staircase and made our way up with the intention of finding the roof. However, by level three we soon discovered that the former metal staircase had become so corroded a huge section had fallen off. This forced us to backtrack a bit, until we found a stone staircase. This was much more sturdy and took us to the top levels of the building. Roaming around up here, though, is quite risky, so if anyone happens to pop to Heap’s Rice Mill after seeing this report, watch your step! You should take Historic England’s description of the building, the one that says the premises is ‘mainly 7-storeys’, quite literally. Many of the floorboards have disappeared, and those that remain are completely rotten. We moved around very tentatively up here. 

Other than a few bits of leftover machinery and random bits of kit, there isn’t much to see throughout the building, but the extreme decay is pretty cool to see. The best bit of the explore, by far, was what we found in the basement. At first, we thought we’d discovered a normal cellar sort of setup. But, we stumbled across a small stone staircase that took us even deeper, until it reached a beautiful brick-lined tunnel. Unfortunately, the tunnel was sealed at the end, but we’re assuming it probably led all the way to the docks at one time. It seemed to head off in that general direction. After wandering around in the basement for a while, we agreed we’d seen most of the building and decided to call it a day. We didn’t have a proper place to stay, so we still had to find a spot to camp. On that note, then, we made our way back to the main street and set off in search of a place to drink a couple of beers and catch fifty winks. 

Explored with MKD. 
 

1:

 

36609740184_9ca3bd6275_b.jpg

 

2:

 

37271903696_6ff693f3b4_b.jpg

 

3:

 

36609738114_5f25797e9d_b.jpg

 

4:

 

37063158990_e0c37b0c9f_b.jpg

 

5:

 

36609736014_3dca26319f_b.jpg

 

6:

 

37063157800_3b54a110ac_b.jpg

 

7:

 

37319212871_17bd031765_b.jpg

 

8:

 

36649628933_9a165e504d_b.jpg

 

9:

 

37319211661_204ea37c3e_b.jpg

 

10:

 

37063155040_c23a82d7ea_b.jpg

 

11:

 

37271895536_e4087bc801_b.jpg

 

12:

 

36649624303_33912a9fc0_b.jpg

 

13:

 

36649623243_fc30ebe46f_b.jpg

 

14:

 

36649622163_9c0b603cee_b.jpg

 

15:

 

37319206811_2bc34a0da2_b.jpg

 

16:

 

37063149160_bed1b448f7_b.jpg

 

17:

 

37289649782_0b30db6d7b_b.jpg

 

18:

 

23467896238_eebf17a503_b.jpg

 

19:

 

37289647112_2af4f95b63_b.jpg

 

20:

 

37289645912_06331cbd99_b.jpg

 

21:

 

37289644702_cc51645120_b.jpg

 

22:

 

37289643592_7ab5a31b5f_b.jpg

 

23:

 

37289641852_d88b1b2435_b.jpg

 

24:

 

37289640552_173d1be3f1_b.jpg

 

25:

 

37289638822_fde5f6f62b_b.jpg

 

26:

 

36609750174_9f8c36d708_b.jpg

 

27:

 

37063165980_7b2f3d3f77_b.jpg

 

28:

 

37063164680_533029f156_b.jpg

 

29:

 

36609744974_1f6d73d3e9_b.jpg

 

30:

 

36609743214_0842de5e4d_b.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Similar Content

    • By little_boy_explores
      In 1847, Joseph Watts of Dewsbury and William Stones (1827 -1894) of Sheffield began brewing together at the Cannon Brewery in Sheffield's Shalesmoor district near Kelham Island. ... He renamed it the Cannon Brewery after his original premises.

      Stones soon became one of the richest men in Sheffield and worked up until his death in 1894. A light coloured beer, named Stones Bitter, was produced in the early 1940’s and this soon became a popular choice amongst steel workers across Sheffield. 


      Cannon Brewery grew significantly as its reputation increased and sales prospered, to the extent that new offices, stores, workshops and cellars were all improved and developed. At its peak, the brewery produced 50,000 hectolitres of cask conditioned Stones each year and many of Sheffield’s public houses developed close ties to the brewery and Stones Bitter. An on-site public house was also opened within Cannon Brewery in 1964, “ originally named ‘The Underground’, but renamed as ‘The Pig and Whistle’ to service both visitors and workers, and this can still be found today. Cannon Brewery was closed in 1999 following reports that were indicative of a substantial decline in the sale of cask ales.


      The owner of the site is a demolition contractor and has submitted an application seeking permission for his business, Hague Plant, to bulldoze the buildings on the 0.7 hectare plot which, in documents drawn up by R Bryan Planning, are described as being of utilitarian design and of no historic or architectural significance. The owner is keen to redevelop the former brewery but has said that it is not effectively marketable in its current state, especially as the high cost of demolition and potential decontamination, particularly from asbestos, are a deterrent to developers.

      Explore
      Been looking at this as a potential explore for sometime... The buildings and architecture are something else and anyone who's anyone on the Sheffield graffiti scene have decorated the building with some great pieces.. The former brewery is in poor condition but offers explorers a great opportunity to appreciate the history and architecture of the former brewery. A real shame when they decided to pull the building as this is a real part of Sheffields brewing past.. explore whilst you still have chance.. as this building offers plenty for all.
       
      1.

       
      2.

       
      3.

       
      4.

       
      5.

       
      6.

       
      7.

       
      8.

       
      9.

       
      10.

       
      11.

       
      12.

       
      13.

       
      14.

       
      15. and 16.
       
       
       
      Graffiti on site
       
      17.

       
      18.

       
      19.

       
      20.

       
      21.

       
      22. My favourite pic I took of this place

       
      Le fin
       
      "Times have changed, the place in its current condition is trashed and flooded... (2018)"
    • By crabb
      A rather big, very secure office building that was believed to be used as a computer centre for the department of work and pensions. Nothing about the building online as far as I am aware apart from it was said to be a rejected building for social security and not a single photo of the insides can be found. Been vacant for at least 10 years and we was probably the only people to be see inside since it was boarded and locked about a decade ago. The structure's size in total is around 80,000 square feet, consisting of 3 floors. It was also protected by motion sensors so had to tread carefully but managed to get a few snaps of the best bits. Enjoy
      ot

















    • By little_boy_explores
       
      History
       
      In the 14th century the Bretton estate was owned by the Dronsfields and passed by marriage to the Wentworths in 1407. King Henry VIII spent three nights in the old hall and furnishings, draperies and panelling from his bedroom were moved to the new hall. A hall is marked on Christopher Saxton's 1577 map of Yorkshire... The present building was designed and built around 1720 by its owner, Sir William Wentworth assisted by James Moyser to replace the earlier hall. In 1792 it passed into the Beaumont family, (latterly Barons and Viscounts Allendale), and the library and dining room were remodelled by John Carrin 1793. Monumental stables designed by George Basevi were built between 1842 and 1852. The hall was sold to the West Riding County Council in 1947. Before the sale, the panelling of the "Henry VIII parlour" (preserved from the earlier hall) was given to Leeds City Council and moved to Temple Newsam house. The hall housed Bretton Hall College from 1949 until 2001 and was a campus of the University of Leeds from 2001 to 2007.
       


       
      Explore
       
      Work began on site in march 2016... The MüllerVanTol studio has been appointed to design the interiors of the Grade II listed mansion and the refurbishment of other listed buildings is well underway. Most of the 11 student dwellings which were built in the 1960's and 1970's have been demolished including Eglinton, Litherop, Swithen and Haigh, Grasshopper will be the last to go in late 2017. A real shame considering the position of the college which specialised in design, drama, music and other performing arts with notable alumna attending.

      The Hall itself resides in 500 acres of park land which is home to the Yorkshire Sculpture park (YSP). (YSP) was the first of it's kind within the UK and his the largest in Europe, providing the only the place to see Barbara Hepworth and Bronzes by Henry Moore. Over 300,000 visitors are said to visit the park each year and on previous visits its been easy to blend into the crowd and walk around the exterior of the old Hall this said access internally as always been restricted. Access to the Hall today is strictly prohibited and is protected by 6ft metal fencing which spans the entire grounds including former classrooms and the stable block and more so their is a high presence of security on site with the developers keen to keep the public away. Recently signs have appeared to restrict the public taking pictures near the Hall itself... typical signs read (restricted use of photography in this area). The developers seem to be going to extreme lengths to protect the design ideas of the Hall and are passing these restriction onto local media and staff working onsite... I'm guessing the developers are wanting to keep their plans secret until the grand opening later in 2019.

      During the festive Holiday period we decided to pay a visit... making our way to some of the former classrooms and the student centre. This led to the stable block passing by the former dwellings and down to the main hall. We were surprised to have got this far and would have been more than happy with some nice externals of the buildings on site. YSP was very quiet and we were aware of sticking out in the surroundings so decided to head inside. Making our way down to the hall we were sure we would be found before we had chance to pull out our cameras. We were quite taken away by the sheer scope of the refurbishment and the beautiful restoration work been carried out we soon forgot about the threats of been in the Hall. Slowly documenting our visit and proceeding through the Halls rooms we became aware our explore light could be attracting unwanted attention from the outside as daylight was running out. Turning it off where possible it was obvious that it would be shining like a beacon through the Halls many rooms, we decided to head out with the premise of returning in the morning. Unfortunately on our return we were met by the security who TBH was sympathetic in escorting us off the premises. It seems like our well documented day at Bretton Hall was a one off and maybe we will have to wait to see how the restoration unfolds when the Hall is reborn as an hotel.
       
      Pics
       
      1. Entrance Arcade belonging to former stable block (circa 1800).


      2. Beaumont Bull & Wentworth Griffin above the columns on each side of the archway below the cupola.


      3. Lost student art outside the experimental theatre... former carriage house 


      4. Looking down the Colonnade


      5. The stable courtyard


      6. The south range of Bretton hall dates back to 1720


      9. Giant pilasters supporting the pendent at the north range of Bretton Hall


      8. Three storey nine-by-five-bay main range.


      9. Pathway leading to the exterior of the former library


      10. Former Orangery 


      11. Plaque detailing the history 


      12. Former dinning room with marble fireplace 


      13. Typical Rococo style in the former dining room 


      14. Typically their would have been a frieze around the fireplace 


      15. Looking up at the glazed dome 


      16. Looks like restoration as begun on the pendentives


      17. Former drawing room with its spectacular baroque ceiling


      18. Close a look at the baroque ceiling 


      19. Originally Regency Library then later converted to a display room.


      21. Left overs from the colleague era 


      22. looks like works yet to begin in this area of the hall 


      23. Leading back to the library 


      24. restoration of the cove Acoustics to amplify sound in the music room 


      25. Light hanging from the Adam style celling

       
      26. South ranges main staircase


      27. Main staircase with a wrought iron railing 


      28. Stone stairs leading down to the basement 


      29. A form of art nouveau


      30. Inside the main range


      31. Coving shelves 


      32. Beautiful example of a transom window 


      33. Mid - century scandinavian style chair 


      34. Adam style celling's from 1770 


      35. Developer keeping with the original sash windows


      36. Groin vaulted passage with three arches and piers decorated with grisaille paintings in the Portico Hall


      Added buildings from the former college days

      37. The gymnasium 


      38. exterior of former classrooms 


      39. Former student centre reception 


      40. Corridoor leading to the classrooms 


      41. The student centre was empty 


      42. Damaged computer


      43. Locked


      44. typical student dormitory 


      45. recreational room 


      46. Entrance to one of the very few remaining former dormitory buildings 





      The history of the Bretton Hall could be a thread all on its own ... as could the documentation of the architecture its position as educational faculty and importantly the future usage of the Hall as an entertainment venue. I've done my best to condense this were possible and in doing so have provided a comprehensive report regarding Bretton Hall.. 

      Hope you enjoyed the report
       
    • By hmltnangel
      After a work conference, I decided a trip to the rather nice Belfast Mortuary was in order to help cure the immense hangover I had from drinking many pints and many whiskies the night before. 
       
      Closed for a while, and slowly disintegrating from the local delinquents attention. 
       
      Clear and Concise 
      DSC06568 by Dale Hamilton, on Flickr
       
      Fridges
      DSC06599 by Dale Hamilton, on Flickr
       
      Fridge Close Up
      DSC06602 by Dale Hamilton, on Flickr
       
      Main Entrance
      DSC06606 by Dale Hamilton, on Flickr
       
      Scales
      DSC06566 by Dale Hamilton, on Flickr
       
      Stainless Slab
      DSC06584 by Dale Hamilton, on Flickr
       
      Another View
      DSC06586 by Dale Hamilton, on Flickr#
       
      The other slab
      DSC06572 by Dale Hamilton, on Flickr
       
      Drain
      DSC06578 by Dale Hamilton, on Flickr
    • By little_boy_explores
      History
       
      Officially opened by the Earl of Scarborough in 1957, it was built the year before for £350,000 as headquarters for Leeds chemicals and dyestuffs firm Brotherton and Co and was at the heart of a new business area at the Westgate end of The Headrow. It was named in recognition of the famous Leeds city benefactor family, after the Brotherton Library and Collection at Leeds University, the Charles Brotherton engineering and chemical laboratory, the Brotherton Wing at the Leeds General Infirmary and the Brotherton Charity Trust.

      It was dubbed as the design of the future with the “latest external and internal structural techniques, automatic ventilation and ceiling heating”. Its ceilings were reported to be “acoustically perfect”, and its floors covered in highly-polished parquet. It was in 1965 – long before the merging of local police forces and the establishment of the current West Yorkshire force, that the old Leeds City Police took over part of the building and ultimately established its administrative headquarters there.

      In addition to the then Chief Constable and his Assistant Chief, numerous other police departments have been based at Brotherton House over the decades including senior CID, Special Branch, Fraud Squad, Regional Crime Squad, Firearms Registry, Aliens Department, Force Prosecutions, Special Constabulary, Training, Photographic and Fingerprint departments, the then so-called Policewomen’s Department, Pay and Accounts. Most notable investigations to have been carried out at Brotherton house was the notorious "Ripper squad" which was applied to a group of investigators and was the term used by the media for the investigation into the Yorkshire Ripper murders. Including George Oldfield the man in charge of the investigation. Today, the building – which has largely been vacated – overlooks the Leeds Inner Ring Road and is described by its agents as a “substantial high-profile office building with a significant presence.”
       
      Explore
       
      A day out in Leeds, driving on the ring road I noticed a building covered in green fabric... on closer inspection we found out by locals telling us that the building was abandon. Mostly the building is in good condition with a large amount of original features untouched.. the main hall is really something with original parquet flooring and a grand stair case leading into the main building. Corridors lead to open staircases on both sides of the building which offer access to the buildings six floors including rooftop.
       
      Pics
       
      1.

       
      2.

       
      3.

       
      4.

       
      5.

       
      6.

       
      7.

       
      8.

       
      9.

       
      10.

       
      11. and 12
       
       
      13.

       
      14.

       
      15.

       
      16. and 17.
       
       
      LE FIN
×