Paradox

France HBCM UE Tarn Cokeworks - France - September 2017

So this was more of a cheeky little explore than anything planned in advance. A few of us were in the South of France for the Urban Explorer Wedding of the Year, an event that was most definitely epic and involved many many drunken selfies of at least half a dozen drunken explorers (including the Bride and Groom) but hey that's another story and not one for here :o

The day after we left the Bride and Groom to do Honeymoony type things ;) and took ourselves off on a trip to the local cokeworks/coal miney type place. It isn't epic or awesome but it was a pretty damn fine mooch to end the trip with.

It is a derpy derp and appears to be a popular place to burn out cars but worth a trip anyway :D

History is limited and in French so here is my best shot at something that vaguely resembles information but however doesn't mean a great deal to me and is probably worth skipping lol!....

The Sainte Marie open pit was a coal mine of the Mining Unit of Tam, H.B.C.M. (Houilleres du Bassin Centre Midi), in the south-western part of France, near Albi. In this area, a large amount of coal has been exploited by Underground mining. This pit was designed in order to exploit the coal remaining around the shaft (Saint Marie shaft) of an old Underground mine situated in the basin of Carmaux.The diameter at the top of the pit was 1200 metres and its final depth was expected to be 300 metres. The first 100 metres were composed of tertiary deposits (clay and sand) which covered the carboniferous formation. The average slope angle of the Tertiary is 37° (without benches) and in the Coal Measures, it was foreseen from 37° to 50° (with benches of 6 metres high) depending on the slope situaüon. At present üme, the depth of the mine is about 160 metres. 

Nine coal seams have been mined by Underground working between 1900 and 1984. Different methods have been used depending on the thickness, the dip of the layer and the dimension of the panel. In fact, panels were backfilled, caved or undermined long-wall. The basin of Carmaux is a large synclinal split by a dense network of faults which directions are approximately N 140 E. The dips and the dip directions which was left around the shaft, but, close to the slopes, begin the old exploited long walls. These long walls are at different topographic levels due to the particular structure and have been exploited in panels lined by the faults odented approximately N140.

The first design of the open pit was done by a Standard geotechnical survey; this one has taken into account the geomechanical, hydrogeological, structural Parameters äs well äs the "decohesion", induced by the revival of subsidence due to old Underground mining. However, some mining slopes can locally present risks of slipping induced by old Underground mining.

Anyway here are a few pics :)

37579751990_3921b12f5c_k.jpg

37579753450_163f57b4b7_k.jpg

37805612552_c60e490632_k.jpg

23985167088_51336316ab_k.jpg

37127241194_35d72ee5e4_k.jpg

37127241984_4d3fb55637_k.jpg

37127242494_731c228d60_k.jpg

37805594692_c57555008c_k.jpg

37805622322_23fb60987f_k.jpg

37805623452_fb4a02da5b_k.jpg

37805624052_be750a2689_k.jpg

37127248834_4013d63115_k.jpg

37127250604_53428ba4f1_k.jpg

37837427161_4d545d751e_k.jpg

37127256684_b7114bf8c4_k.jpg

23985162888_9a01b23b79_z.jpg

37837407171_638b79370f_z.jpg

23985161168_8e650d8827_z.jpg

37805607742_1de072fa92_z.jpg

37837403041_b484da3cf6_z.jpg

37837400981_9cdbcdb4cc_z.jpg

37805605632_8c7ff7e78d_z.jpg

37837398641_081d285436_z.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

• Like 2

Thanks guys :) Don't get chance to explore with my sister much these days so it was good to get out and do stuff with her and her son too (and the others too of course!)

Yet again an absolutely fantastic write up, very interesting. Sure I sure this on FB a few months back, is that a certain mr jobs I see in one of those photos?

thanks for sharing 😀

41 minutes ago, Dubbed Navigator said:

Yet again an absolutely fantastic write up, very interesting. Sure I sure this on FB a few months back, is that a certain mr jobs I see in one of those photos?

thanks for sharing 😀

Thanks

Lol yes that would be a Mr Jobs you can see :) I did post them on FB a while ago so there is a fair chance you have already seen them!

Edited by Paradox
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Paradox said:

Thanks

Lol yes that would be a Mr Jobs you can see :) I did post them on FB a while ago so there is a fair chance you have already seen them!

Thought so, looks fekkin big! :)

6 minutes ago, Dubbed Navigator said:

Thought so, looks fekkin big! :)

Jobs or the cokeworks?? :4_joy:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Lavino
      Visited with @albino jay and @GK-WAX and thanks again to jay for doing the driving and I also stole your history mate because I couldn’t find any hope you don’t mind. We was passing by the mill on our way home so popped in for a look. And glad we did I like these old mills. And the demo team were already on site so don’t know how long it has left to stand. So here’s the history and pics..

Steam-powered worsted-spinning mill built around 1850 on Black Brook.

Owners and tenants of the mills have included
      James Nutton & Company [1863]
      John Horsfall & Sons Limited [1896]
      F. K. Adcock & Company [1936]
      Part of the Mills are still standing though no longer used.
      The mill had a 170 ft tall chimney which was struck by lightning in 1967. The chimney was reduced in height – to avoid further strikes – and was finally demolished in March/April 1992

The majority of the Mills were demolished in 2017.

The mill by Lavino lavino[/

The mill by Lavino lavino, on Flickr

url=https://flic.kr/p/H2Q9pV]The mill by Lavino lavino, on Flickr

• By Serenity4
      This place has been on the radar for a while now but never got the chance to properly take a look. The dome itself can be seen for quite a few miles across the surrounding areas. Not a great deal of information available other than it looks like some sort of water treatment site/reservoir possibly used by the MOD, given the land its situated on. It doesn't appear to be fully derelict either as you can still here the sound of running water and the grass seems to be trimmed.

The explore went as planned, few dog walkers here and there, other than that spent a little while looking around.

• By Dubbed Navigator
      So now is the time you start seeing this type of thread pop up. Favourite cereals, dog walking moments, cheesey tunes etc...

Favourite derp should have its place

For me, this is pretty easy. After a while out of exploring I finally got my feet the taste of mould and pigeon shit they had so desperately been craving. I got out once, nothing crazy, but it was out.

A cash and carry in Leicester.

• By Sectionate
      Visited recently on my first foray over to the European side of life (can't believe it has taken so long). It was excellent / cold in the snow!

History:

On May 9, 1899, Kaiser Wilhelm II laid the first stone of Fort St. Blaise. Group Fortification Verdun group is built on top of two hills, it consists of two forts, the fort Sommy 30 ha in the south, and Fort Saint-Blaise 45 ha on the north. Group Fortification Verdun has four 150mm howitzers and six short 100mm guns. Fort St. Blaise was planned for 500 men and fort Sommy for 200 men. It could then receive two infantry companies, in addition to the gunners. St. Blaise, whose fortified barracks could receive 500 people, has 10 observation domes and 12 lookout posts.[4] The water tank's capacity was 1,300   m. 4 diesel engines of 25HP each, providing the energy necessary for Fort St. Blaise. The fort Sommy, including the fortified barracks, could accommodate 200 people, and has 6 observation domes and 8 lookouts. Its water tank could hold 600   m and it had 3 diesel engines of 20HP each, to provide the energy needed for its operation.[4] The coat of arms of Count of Haeseler is carved on the pediment of the door of the fort.

It caused the Americans a huge headache in WW2 and proved its worth as a fortified location. Patton underestimated their strength immensely.

Fort St. Blaise:

The first of the two forts, complete with short 100mm funs in place showing battle damage. 

Untitled by Nick, on Flickr

Collapsed structure / battle damage

The thing you don't realise until you get there is that the French Army have not removed any of the barbed wire entanglements, complete with foot spikes and in some places, unexploded ordnance 

Fort Sommy:

The smaller outer fort, with a machine gun cupola and two turrets with guns and a tonne more battle damage, with craters and wall collapses all over the shop!