Paradox

Italy Animal Testing Center - Italy - June 2017

Following on from our escapades here is another report from The Derpy Rotten Scoundrels Euroderp Tour earlier this year.

Having spent the previous day dicking about by Lake Como, swimming in the lake, the lads got their broga on, whilst Disco Kitten put everyone to shame with her epic yoga skills. fortytwo went jungleering and spent the day battling beasts in the wilderness and arrived back after a fight with a snake. 

Deciding we were on the move the next day we set up camp in a derelict house looking out over the lake. Chilled out with beer and did the only to do when your Euroderping and your derp has an awesome white wall, slammed Indian Jones and the Temple of Doom on the projector and settled in for the night!

37608745180_b5f9182e52_k.jpg

Our plan was to head for the Holy Grail of NPU, having visited previously I was still excited about the chance of a revisit. So we loaded up the limo and Zsa Zsa and headed off with a plan to hit the Animal Testing Facility on the way.

This is another place that is proper trashed but good for a mini derp adventure. I have no idea of its full name, or where it is as I do an excellent job of sleeping as soon as Im in the car.

Its a nice little walk in and there is still some interesting stuff in there to see.

I've gleaned a little bit of history from some dude who went in 2016.

The place belonged to a Swiss Company who were apparently big in the animal testing industry, they moved to this site and rented the building, however when the rental contract ran out they didn't renew the contract and it fell into disrepair.

The land it is built on is partly poisoned, due to there being a chemical site their previously and isn't likely to be cleaned up anytime soon. A couple of years after the facility closed it was hit by a fire, causing acrid fumes to permeate the local area. Firefighters arrived and found evidence the fire had been started deliberately but were able to stop the fire fairly quickly. Although they contained the fire, the whole site had to be checked due to rumours of the facility being occupied by refugees and concerns over the local kids playing in the buildings. 

The facility still has the animal operating/autopsy table in place and there is lots of medical equipment lying around, lamps, autoclaves and a gloved box unit.

Anyway here's a few pics (all from my phone as I lost the ones I took on my camera :( )

24013242098_8bdcc26003_k.jpg

24012810318_8b29d6b3a3_k.jpg

37816848916_df5f019b8b_k.jpg

24012812018_72bef8c2ba_k.jpg

37816850316_a4bf6e052d_k.jpg

37608204900_86dee9d417_k.jpg

24012814668_fcd40d6e15_k.jpg

37608206130_e4520d1b65_k.jpg

37834331072_a5978d60de_k.jpg

37608184240_1e20d8b688_k.jpg

24012789668_0e268719a3_k.jpg

37608185430_aba7a08e3e_k.jpg

37834308532_f0ef730b41_k.jpg

37865547061_78dac611eb_k.jpg

37834311012_15d3e029e5_k.jpg

24012790578_0238aa7c20_k.jpg

37834313302_cfbe857fe1_k.jpg

37608180950_d07255580b_k.jpg

24012805388_dbab0fc112_k.jpg

37608195890_5a7f17f6c7_k.jpg

24012807188_2a33e04eba_k.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

• Like 2

Good that it is closed. There are still far too many experimental laboratories with animals...

On 11/19/2017 at 9:47 AM, Dubbed Navigator said:

I’m starting to sound like a broken record now, but cracking write up again as usual @Paradox - enjoyable read as always.

This pic looks a bit ominous...

37608206130_e4520d1b65_k.jpg

looks like a microwave 😳

:comp:

hahhahahaa thanks! Yeah it does I hadn't noticed that!

On 11/19/2017 at 2:35 PM, Andy said:

Good that it is closed. There are still far too many experimental laboratories with animals...

Yeah deffo felt bad for all the animals that had been there :(

21 hours ago, Urbexbandoned said:

Agree with Andy, interesting none the less and different :thumb 

:comp: 

Thanks, I believe Italy has banned all animal testing facilities now

• Like 1

Looks bloody awesome. And great set of pics . Remember you showing me the cinema projector thing . Cool has fuck that is. 

Edited by coolboyslim
  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Lavino
      Visited with @albino jay and @GK-WAX and thanks again to jay for doing the driving and I also stole your history mate because I couldn’t find any hope you don’t mind. We was passing by the mill on our way home so popped in for a look. And glad we did I like these old mills. And the demo team were already on site so don’t know how long it has left to stand. So here’s the history and pics..

Steam-powered worsted-spinning mill built around 1850 on Black Brook.

Owners and tenants of the mills have included
      James Nutton & Company [1863]
      John Horsfall & Sons Limited [1896]
      F. K. Adcock & Company [1936]
      Part of the Mills are still standing though no longer used.
      The mill had a 170 ft tall chimney which was struck by lightning in 1967. The chimney was reduced in height – to avoid further strikes – and was finally demolished in March/April 1992

The majority of the Mills were demolished in 2017.

The mill by Lavino lavino[/

The mill by Lavino lavino, on Flickr

url=https://flic.kr/p/H2Q9pV]The mill by Lavino lavino, on Flickr

• By Serenity4
      This place has been on the radar for a while now but never got the chance to properly take a look. The dome itself can be seen for quite a few miles across the surrounding areas. Not a great deal of information available other than it looks like some sort of water treatment site/reservoir possibly used by the MOD, given the land its situated on. It doesn't appear to be fully derelict either as you can still here the sound of running water and the grass seems to be trimmed.

The explore went as planned, few dog walkers here and there, other than that spent a little while looking around.

• By Dubbed Navigator
      So now is the time you start seeing this type of thread pop up. Favourite cereals, dog walking moments, cheesey tunes etc...

Favourite derp should have its place

For me, this is pretty easy. After a while out of exploring I finally got my feet the taste of mould and pigeon shit they had so desperately been craving. I got out once, nothing crazy, but it was out.

A cash and carry in Leicester.

• By Ghost-Scooter
      To get to Preventorio R which has been a childrens sanatorium deep in the mountains of Italy was a real torture. Riding on my Vespa through Italy I'm used to navigate by listening to Google Maps on my earphones.  After hours of riding Google suddenly instructed me to turn left on a really steep and curvy gravel path that didn't allow more than the first gear for about 10km. Finally arriving at the Preventorio i realised that it is situated next to a well developed main street.   F*** Google Maps Navigation! 
      But it turned out to be  worth the effort.

DSC05555-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr

DSC05550 by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr

DSC05551 by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr

DSC05548 by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr

DSC05546 by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr

DSC05542 by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr

DSC05541 by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr

DSC05554 by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr

DSC05547-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr

DSC05545 by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr

DSC05553 by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr

DSC05552 by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr

DSC05549 by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr

DSC05544 by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr
    • By Sectionate
      Visited recently on my first foray over to the European side of life (can't believe it has taken so long). It was excellent / cold in the snow!

History:

On May 9, 1899, Kaiser Wilhelm II laid the first stone of Fort St. Blaise. Group Fortification Verdun group is built on top of two hills, it consists of two forts, the fort Sommy 30 ha in the south, and Fort Saint-Blaise 45 ha on the north. Group Fortification Verdun has four 150mm howitzers and six short 100mm guns. Fort St. Blaise was planned for 500 men and fort Sommy for 200 men. It could then receive two infantry companies, in addition to the gunners. St. Blaise, whose fortified barracks could receive 500 people, has 10 observation domes and 12 lookout posts.[4] The water tank's capacity was 1,300   m. 4 diesel engines of 25HP each, providing the energy necessary for Fort St. Blaise. The fort Sommy, including the fortified barracks, could accommodate 200 people, and has 6 observation domes and 8 lookouts. Its water tank could hold 600   m and it had 3 diesel engines of 20HP each, to provide the energy needed for its operation.[4] The coat of arms of Count of Haeseler is carved on the pediment of the door of the fort.

It caused the Americans a huge headache in WW2 and proved its worth as a fortified location. Patton underestimated their strength immensely.

Fort St. Blaise:

The first of the two forts, complete with short 100mm funs in place showing battle damage. 

Untitled by Nick, on Flickr

Collapsed structure / battle damage

The thing you don't realise until you get there is that the French Army have not removed any of the barbed wire entanglements, complete with foot spikes and in some places, unexploded ordnance 

Fort Sommy:

The smaller outer fort, with a machine gun cupola and two turrets with guns and a tonne more battle damage, with craters and wall collapses all over the shop!