The_Raw

France Bureau Central, France - October 2017

This was the admin block for an adjacent steelworks. It was built in 1704, and despite being pretty battered nowadays, it still retains some of its former grandeur. The mixture of decay and natural light makes it quite photogenic. Plenty of reports from here before so this is just an update on its current state. Visited with @Maniac, @Andyand @extreme_ironing

24504283618_e93215d89d_b.jpg

38344542562_5c89aeb4da_b.jpg

38344555022_43fe61123f_c.jpg

24504267958_f3f3869f6d_b.jpg

38374785121_e89e88b538_c.jpg

37660680344_fd749998fd_b.jpg

38374706701_682e9c1bc1_b.jpg

38344523312_aaa7099bfc_c.jpg

38319887856_fd065c593b_b.jpg

38374686191_55c0600f63_b.jpg

38344446242_4c8b0bf660_b.jpg

38374667731_4bb81d6db4_b.jpg

26599038049_fefc81f52d_b.jpg

38374620211_2d826a7552_b.jpg

38344410642_e8e8232d3e_b.jpg

Thanks for looking you bunch of silly little tossers :thumb 

• Like 2

Nice pics there Damo. I've literally this evening finally downloaded my memory cards from this trip, I might even put a report together once I've figured out where to host my photos now I don't have photobucket any more :( 

• Like 1

You captured it really well, despite the difficult and less light sometimes.

Was a great trip and I'm happy I could show you this place; in my opinion one of the nicest of our trip.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By bob
      A former powerplant that ran on gas from blast furnaces, now being demolished.

----

• By Landie_Man
      Monkton Farleigh Down, Ammunition Tunnel, Wiltshire – December 2017

Moving on through my backlog of explores; to one myself and Mookster visited back in December.  It was to be a nice, slow paced Pre-Christmas day of explores; but sadly this was to be the only site we explored that day.  Unfortunately my car had developed an exhaust leak that morning and the rest of the day was rather noisy until the vehicle was repaired. 

The Monkton Farleigh ammunition depot made use of an old stone quarry below a plateau; around 450 feet above the valley floor in which ran the main line railway.  This railway was its principal source of supply.

Before the depot could be commissioned, an efficient means was required to bring in ammunition from the railway at Farleigh Down Sidings. These sidings were just over a mile from the depot as the crow flies but over four miles by road along pretty heavy going,  tortuous country lanes.
      The tunnel at Monkton Farleigh was designed to handle around 1000 tons of ammunition each day. Completion was not scheduled until 1941.

The tunnel to the railway sidings at Shockerwick was a big player in the Monkton Farleigh mine; offering a secure route which in turn, was invisible to aerial reconnaissance.

As Always everyone,  Thanks!

More At:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/landie_man/albums/72157665020437557
    • By bob
      An oil refinery being decommissioned... I went there with my bicycle, managed to get it past the first fence which was nice xD

I hope i didn't put too many photos...

D90 with sigma 17-70

cheers

• By obscureserenity
      Mineral Springs Bath House

History

The construction of the Mineral Springs Bath House  began in 1907. This was in order to bring in more tourism and wealth into the area. The town it was built in was an excellent location to host a bath house, as it was well known for it's rich mineral water sources which was believed to have medicinal properties. During the start of the 20th century mineral baths were a very fashionable and popular leisure activity. It took 3 years to build, with the help of local residents and neighbouring villages. It was finally unveiled with a ceremony in 1911.

The materials which were used for the interior were designed in Vienna, France and Belgium and it was the most expensive healing bath in Bulgaria at that current time. Typical to most bath houses, it was separated into two sections, one for the men and another for the women. Both areas accommodated for it's visitors with a large circular pool, changing rooms and 10 bathtubs. The baths also provided central heating facilities, the main parts of the building were kept consistently at 15°C, the changing rooms at 28°C and the baths themselves were 32°C. The bath house was also equip with a clinic, admin offices and a large laundry room.

Sadly the Mineral Springs Baths eventually closed in 2001, due to the decline in interest and popularity along with the lack of investment by the local government.

Visit 

As always, visited with @darbians on a long weekend trip to Bulgaria. We were both feeling pretty optimistic once we'd seen the grand looking exterior on arrival and fortunately the interior certainly lived up to our expectations.

Externals 

Internals

If you've got this far, thanks for reading