franconiangirl

Germany Children´s Hospital N. - August '16

The old children´s hospital was opened in the 1960s when it was relocated from the original building, which was built around the turn of the century. 

Personally, visiting the old children´s hospital felt very special to me, as I, a premature baby, had to spent the first weeks of my life in this facility - on the top floor and high above the rooftops of my native town. Of course, my memories of this stay can´t even be described as "vague", as I have none at all. Yet, my exploration of this place remains special to me. I really enjoyed the view across the city -  consciously this time and probably as one of the last ones who received this opportunity. 

DSC_0346.JPG.414a23752ec00745900dcabacedef228.JPG

DSC_0533.thumb.JPG.5c000d45a48686354e117e6f138821d7.JPG

DSC_0631.JPG.c44323910ed272e940014d5495b05638.JPG

DSC_0642.JPG.7be3c016e0be73a2d396cf7c115d160e.JPG

DSC_0637.JPG.686cfbc4de69d05c7d504da00f8958d1.JPG

DSC_0567.JPG.29aad29342ffa311edbc36ace3217438.JPG

DSC_0686.JPG.164f9dd3f3f5c4b180004899a85d2b12.JPG

DSC_0578.JPG.83891d88db60f966fafc55ec8ec7d717.JPG
DSC_0699.JPG.5eef66f319757a25be662cd2237fe566.JPG

DSC_0497.JPG.f3dfd815e659a127161e47e0a57eb2fc.JPG

DSC_0349.JPG.cdce5bae3bb7033054aa4b276990d15a.JPG

DSC_0350.JPG.585fad444b914d760e174f30d475574d.JPG

DSC_0553.JPG.be81ac24dadb6f9bb24534b63baebe33.JPG

DSC_0546.JPG.96d310769fa609b205c0c116e473ff40.JPG

DSC_0601.JPG

• Like 5

Nice one, must've been quite an experience exploring somewhere with such a personal connection as this place has :) 

:comp: 

• Like 1

I can imagine its going to be a lot more personal to explore a place with such a personal connection and also abandoned places that have association with kids always have a bit more poignancy too. 

Great report :thumb

• Like 1

Lovely that is :) enjoyed the read too. As already mentioned must have been quite an experience to explore. The child aspect makes it that little bit more special. Nice set :thumb 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Andy
      History

The holiday home was built around 1905 and used as a hotel for almost 50 years.
      In the mid-1950s, it was converted into a recreation home of the NVA (National People's Army of the former German Democratic Republic).

The house was closed and abandoned in the 1990s and in 2003 it was bought by a businessman from Heilbronn.
      However, for this person it apparently only serves as a deduction product for the tax return. Because instead of investing and bringing the building back to life, he ignored it, so it fell into decay.

In recent years, the house has been used as a sleeping place by homeless people and has repeatedly been vandalized. On the upper floor, almost all walls are completely sprayed with very bad graffiti now, but I haven't taken any photos of them.

• By Peterchen
      To discover such a time capsule always gives you a lot of pleasure. Whereby you can not speak of small here, because in this beautiful place there were many motifs over several floors.
      Starting with a huge cellar that was filled to the ceiling with unused materials, over several floors that were used for the production of clothing
      to an attic that was converted into a warehouse disused for sewing machines.

However, the long history of the company is relatively fast to tell. A brave entrepreneur founded a small factory in the mid-19th century whose productivity could be increased very quickly.
      When the GDR emerged, the company was expropriated to disappear after the turnaround because they had missed the ravages of time.

Meanwhile, you can not enjoy this time capsule so much, because after the discovery of the object, it was not long before much was destroyed and stolen,
      which ultimately led to the city secured the building and walled the entrances.

More pictures of this huge location can be found here -> http://www.patrick-hertel.de/veb-dessous/

• By peanutbutter_crackers
      I first visited this former mental hospital back in June 2012 and alot has changed since that time ...some good some bad. This hospital started it's life  in the 1920's  and closed in 1994. At it's largest capacity it had 5,818 patients.  Like many other state hospitals in the U.S it had it's own farm , laundry, bakery, refrigeration plants etc and various other buildings were built in later years such as a chapel and larger separate hospital  built in 1966 for infirm patients which had, an operating room, laboratory, diagnostic equipment, clinics, medical library and mortuary. When I first visited here it was overgrown with poison ivy, tall grass....just unkempt and relatively easy as no one seemed to be watching it. There were plans to convert it to senior housing but that never happened and in 2013/2014 a group bought it to convert it into a college. I had planned to visit about that time when a friend who visited said they'd already taken out the morgue contents of the larger building. He also said they'd oddly started fixing up the auditorium but other things left untouched. He also discovered  had started doing illegal abatement  and word got out and they were shut down. It  still sits partially abated which gives a new look to what I'd seen before but it also took away some of the charm. I of course wanted to see the big morgue when I went back...whenever that was I wasn't sure. Well last summer I was able to get back and the place is much trickier to do since there's a damn security guy 24/7 who seems to make usual rounds. All the doors have been screwed shut with the exception of a few....of course way out in the wide open.  We got there very early in the morning so I took a few night shots. I might add the old morgue thankfully is still there in the older hospital building although all the doors have been taken.  I would like to add that this place is sheer hell due to the tunnels which I didn't need to use in 2012 (since we were able to freely walk around) and is most known because of these horrific tunnels LOL.  You basically are crouched in some while going down or up very steeply (depending on how you enter the campus) and are narrow as well as filled with the white crap (most likely asbestos) from the pipes that have fallen on the floor. I did not enjoy them at all and we actually left earlier than I wanted because we were both exhausted from carrying the heavy backpacks and navigating the tunnels trying to find a new way out so we didn't go back up the tunnels. I plan to go back though and get pics of things we missed.  So here are some pics from my early visit which are crap. I can't re-edit them due to losing them via the cat who knocked the external HD to the floor a couple years ago. I was not a good photographer of buildings back then as I came from nature so this "architecture" was a whole new game for me. I struggled a bit with composition and lighting.....and used a fisheye at times  Unfortunately I don't have the same pics of old trip of auditorium to compare with how it is now. I never edited and uploaded the old ones    Forgot to add I stopped by in the winter last year to take a few exteriors hence the snow pics

• By Ghost-Scooter
      Information about this old brewery is rare. It must have been shut down in the late 1990's when the owner built a modern one in order to increase productivity.

DSC00779-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr

DSC00781-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr

DSC00780-Bearbeitet by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr

DSC00788-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr

DSC00830-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr

DSC00793-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet-2 by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr

DSC00797-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr

DSC00801-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr

DSC00802-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr

DSC00804-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr

DSC00806-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr

DSC00817-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet by Ghost-Scooter, auf Flickr