Jump to content

Recommended Posts

The Jordanhill Campus is an historic estate within the boundaries of Jordanhill in Glasgow, Scotland. The buildings have stood empty since 2012, until which time it served as the Faculty of Education of the University of Strathclyde.

 

Sometimes you just can't understand why no one else has posted a report. This is one of those places!
Initially @The Amateur Wanderer and I had a look around the place during our Christmas trip to Scotland, and then I returned a short while later with @SpiderMonkey. We only looked around one building, the David Stow Building which is the main attraction, the original and oldest part of the site. There is also a huge 1960s concrete extension behind, but the sooner that gets pulled down the better - we didn't bother with it!

 

jordanhill-college-glasgow-27.jpg

 

History

 

The buildings date back to 1837 when former merchant and educational pioneer David Stow opened the Dundas Vale Normal Seminary, Europe’s first purpose-built training institution for teachers. Some remnants of the old seminary still remain today – rooms with rows of sinks which were more recently used as storage, and wooden lockers can still be found.

 

In 1913 the Glasgow Corporation agreed a deal to buy the estate, and build both a teacher training college and the associated Jordanhill School on the site. A new building was planned to provide teacher training. With the new school completed in 1920 and the college in 1921, the now Grade B listed David Stow Building facilitated all teacher training provided under the unified University of Glasgow. Centrally funded and with no ties with churches, the college was largely non-residential and its range of work was wider.

 

jordanhill-college-glasgow-28.jpg

 

A shortage of teachers throughout Britain in the late 1950s lead to large scale expansion at Jordanhill. Construction of a new purpose-built facility commenced in 1961, replacing a much older manor house on the site.

 

In 1993, the college was required to merge with a higher education facility. The University of Strathclyde approached the college, and an agreement between both institutions was reached. In 1993 Jordanhill College became the Faculty of Education of the University of Strathclyde.

 

With better use of facilities, and an ageing campus at Jordanhill which was highly protected by preservation orders, in 2010 the decision was made to close Jordanhill campus and move the Faculty all courses to its John Anderson Campus. 2011-12 was the last academic year held at the Jordanhill Campus before the move took place.

 

David Stow Building - Entrance Hall

 

jordanhill-college-glasgow-26.jpg

 

jordanhill-college-glasgow-36.jpg

 

jordanhill-college-glasgow-24.jpg

 

jordanhill-college-glasgow-44.jpg

 

Francis Tombs Hall

 

jordanhill-college-glasgow-31.jpg

 

jordanhill-college-glasgow-2.jpg

 

jordanhill-college-glasgow-1.jpg

 

jordanhill-college-glasgow-4.jpg

 

jordanhill-college-glasgow-32.jpg

 

jordanhill-college-glasgow-5.jpg

 

Staircases and Corridors

 

jordanhill-college-glasgow-8.jpg

 

jordanhill-college-glasgow-11.jpg

 

jordanhill-college-glasgow-13.jpg

 

jordanhill-college-glasgow-16.jpg

 

Teaching rooms and facilities

 

jordanhill-college-glasgow-14.jpg

 

jordanhill-college-glasgow-33.jpg

 

jordanhill-college-glasgow-10.jpg

 

jordanhill-college-glasgow-34.jpg

 

jordanhill-college-glasgow-22.jpg

 

jordanhill-college-glasgow-39.jpg

 

jordanhill-college-glasgow-40.jpg

 

Other areas

 

jordanhill-college-glasgow-43.jpg

 

jordanhill-college-glasgow-42.jpg

 

jordanhill-college-glasgow-38.jpg

 

Hidden Relics

There were a few areas around the building that hadn’t been refurbished and contained relics from older uses...

 

jordanhill-college-glasgow-30.jpg

 

jordanhill-college-glasgow-15.jpg

 

jordanhill-college-glasgow-18.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Similar Content

    • By UrbanLurking
      Explored here a couple of weeks ago seems a bit destroyed now which is a shame bet it was a decent explore at one point. 
      A bit of history,
      Royal Army Ordnance Corp (RAOC) Marchington, was built around 1957 and dealt with the supply and maintenance of weaponry and munitions and various other military equipment until 1993 when the Corp amalgamated with the Royal Logistics Corp. The site is now an industrial estate. It was also a Central Vehicle Depot during this time until the barracks closed in 1970, and the Territorial Army took over. Until it finally closed the site in the early 1980s. Marchington also housed the Armys fleet of Green Goddesses which came under the jurisdiction of the Office Of The Deputy Prime Minister (ODPM).The site is now an industrial estate. The Barracks lie bare and derelict and the married quaters have are all now private housing.
       




    • By AndyK!
      The Station Hotel is a grand Victorian building situated in the heart of Ayr town centre. The hotel consists of 71 bedrooms, complete with en-suite bathrooms, plus a host of suits for functions and a cocktail lounge.
       
      The hotel, which is attached to Ayr railway station, was originally opened by the Glasgow and South Western Railway in June 1866 and become part of the British Transport Hotels (BTH) at Nationalisation. It was sold by BTH in October 1951 and has changed ownership a number of times, having been owned by Stakis Hotels, Quality, and Swallow Hotels.
       
      The Station Hotel is currently the oldest and most famous hotel in Ayr. The hotel has retained almost all of its original features inside and out. The hotel started to turn away customers in 2014 and closed around 2015. After suffering neglect for some time beforehand, the building is now deteriorating; the railway station have had to take action to safeguard their customers from falling debris.
       
      Visited with
      @SpiderMonkey


      The car park is fenced off due to parts of the exterior falling off


      Entrance and staircase


      Reception




      Lift and staircase on the first floor

      Into the cocktail lounge....










      The corridor leading to the next parts was suffering decay due to leaks in the roof

      The Arran Suite...





      Restaurant...








      The restaurant's kitchen



      Other public spaces around the hotel...


       The Kyle Suite bar area

       
      The Carrick Room 

       
      The Kintyre Suite

       

      And finally, the hotel rooms...

       

       

       

       
      View of the decaying rear facade overlooking the railway station
×