Sign in to follow this  
Shadow

Kent Meet Up - Spring 08

What a saga, well let me start at the beginning. I was supposed to be traveling down with DiGiTalReePeR and Thurisaz (Both from 28WL) I was told to get the bus down to London Victoria with Thurisaz and that DiG would pick us up from there and take us to the hotel that he had already booked for us, then we would head down to Dover early on Saturday morning.

We arrive at london at 9.00pm tried to ring DiG at least 20 times, no answer, we were standing round on the corner of the bus station for 2 and a half hours, we finally get a text saying that he has a problem with his car and we are told to get the train to Hemal Hempstead and he'll come and give us a lift in a mates car, we arrive at about midnight, we try ringing DiG again, no reply, we wait until 1am.

So we are stranded in the middle of nowhere with no idea what is going on so we decided to get a taxi to the nearest premier inn, we sleep the night there and get up at 7am to try and ring DiG again, still....no reply, we wait until 11am and we were on the verge of just saying f**k it lets just go home.

We get the train to London and looked at the train prices to Dover, then we made the decision that we didnt want some twat to ruin the trip and lets just go for it.

We arrived in Dover for about 2pm and met up with Solarpowered and The Gas Man / Zombie as well as the Teen Tunnel Team.

Drop Redoubt

Picture47-1.png

Picture46-1.png

Picture32-1.png

Picture33-1.png

Picture37-1.png

Picture34-1.png

Picture35.png

North Casemates

Picture40-1.png

Picture39-1.png

Picture38-1.png

The crawl between the north and south casemates was epic, we made the terrible mistake of sending the most arachnophobic person first, who promptly found a nest of the the buggers along the tunnel, and somehow managed to turn around and climb over the top of the person behind him, meanwhile we were stood back at the entrance to the tunnel and we could only hear muffled screams and shouts along the lines of

aaaaaahhhhh, theres a f**cking big one......KILL IT.......ITS STILL MOVING.......I CAN SEE ITS LEGS.........SH*T THERES MORE!!!!......etc

Theres a great video of it somewhere

Picture41-1.png

Oil Mills

We covered both upper and lower oil mills, upper was very impressive, lower was just huge. I didnt get any pictures worth showing in lower as it was more of an explore and less of a photoshoot, needless to say sliding down the dust into the two lowest was great fun. Although it was slightly scary when i hit my shoulder on the wall and a pretty large chunk of the wall fell down :o

Picture43-1.png

Picture44-1.png

Overall I think it was a great trip (we're all heading back down in the next two weeks, so if anyone is interested pm me) big thumbs up to Solarpowered for showing us oil mills etc, and huge thanks to pinkfluff and Zombie for letting us crash at their place.

Peace, out

Shadow

Edited by Shush
Broken links removed

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Maniac
      Thought I'd post up photos from my visit here in April this year.
      This location is very under-valued in my opinion, it is in fantastic condition inside and makes for a really interesting couple of hours explore. The building is pretty big inside, many offices and little back rooms to be found, as well as two projector rooms (Projectors sadly gone) with 3 cinema screens and lots of other random rooms. There's also a fair amount of origenal features and detailing in the building, which is fantastic!
      The cinema closed its doors in 1999 (I think) when the multiplex odeon opened down the road at lockmeadow. It has laied empty ever since, although someone must maintain it, as it's surprisingly clean and tidy inside, and the ventilation/heating system is still on (as the bingo hall underneath share the same system)
      Apologies for the quality of these pics, they were on my old camera and were mostly handheld as I didn't posess a tripod back then!!
      Reception/foyer area

Going up . . .

Pop corn anyone??

To the Cinema Screens

This is Screen 2, Screens 1 and 2 are virtually identical mirror images of each other where the origenal audatorium was split in 2.

Motors that powered the screen curtains and shuttering.

Screen 3 was the most amazing room with the most fantastic plasterwork in the ceiling.

And this random room, who knows what it was used for, but there were lots of period features in it, and a bloody strip light right in the middle spoiling it all!

Random rooms everywhere with all sorts of bits in

Some projector room equipment, but no projectors

And a couple of images from the roof looking over maidstone

It was an amazing place to look round, nice and warm and dry for a change as well.
      Maniac.
    • By Maniac
      This is the only surviving example of a kent colliery, and is looking in an increasingly bad way in recent times.
      They're still un-sure what they want to do with the buildings, so at the moment they stand there empty, a monument to the sites past use.

All the mine shafts have one of these on them, there were 3 in total, this one was the shallowest, the deepest was over 900metres making Snowdown the deepest colliery in Kent.

Not a lot to see really, but a nice way to spend a couple of hours, and quite a laid back explore as the security people patrolling were actually fine with us being there
      Please ignore the quality of these pics, it was over a year ago and I was still getting used to the camera!
      Maniac.
    • By (76)
      This place is mostly houses now but we managed to nip in just before they tore the place down. You don't see a lot of newspaper bases like this anymore, an all encompassing site consisting of offices, dining area & social club, printing facilities and also warehousing for distribution. KM will be opening a new office here at some point but the days of a giant operation like this are long gone.

Breaking news(room)

Only remnants of the hard-hitting journalism in the newsroom was the best looking pet competition!

There were a few old photos lying around showing how things were done years ago like this old printing press.

Another showed the print hall behind the newspaper offices and we were able to do a before...

...and after.

• By Thelocksmithman
      Soooooo after seeing a couple of reports go up recently covering this part of the old college, and tried previously on numerous attempts with no avail a few years ago when we managed the sports hall and Withersdane Hall parts, i decided now was the time to return and have another go.

Credit to whoever put this part on the achievable list as previous to this outing security had always patrolled and none of us could ever find a way in.

Fast forward to some overcast late morning, i asked @starlight if she was up for having another look round the place, knowing she had also been for a look but not manged this part either. We hooked up and set off just down the road to this place which is very close to where im usually lurking.

History of the college: Which im sure you have all read in other reports of this place...

The College of St Gregory and St Martin at Wye, more commonly known as Wye College, was an educational institution in the small village of Wye, Kent, England, 60 miles (100 km) east of London in the North Downs area. ... The college was officially closed by its then owner, Imperial College London, in September 2009.

Founded in 1447 by John Kempe, the Archbishop of York, as a college for the training of priests, in 1894, the school moved to new premises, and the South Eastern Agricultural College was established in the buildings with Alfred Daniel Hall as principal. In 1898, Wye became a School of Agriculture within the University of London. Until 2005, Wye College was a well-known study and research centre in the fields of rural business and management, biological sciences, and the environment and agriculture. The college was officially closed by its then owner, Imperial College London, in September 2009.

Today, buildings that formerly housed Wye College have been repurposed as the Mind Campus in Withersdane Hall, a substance abuse rehabilitation clinic, and Wye School, a school for children of year seven and up. The main campus and several other buildings have been owned by Telareal Trillium since 2015 who are developing a masterplan involving some new housing.

I cant really say much about the actual wander around, it was non eventful as security really has been wound down since i was last here. It was extremely easy going and with a bit of improvisation and teamwork we managed to cover all of this section of buildings.

As i think stated in previous reports, not much left in there but very clean suprisingly and the lecture hall was a highlight for me.

Enjoy...

Cheers for looking, blut.
    • By Gromr123
      This ones been long in the planning, but eventually at some ungodly hour of the morning me and Brewtal managed to get inside and see the place for ourselves. It was a pretty brief visit by all accounts, but we managed to see most of the lower level. 

History
      Built as part of the now demolished Melville Barracks in Chatham. This deep shelter was a refuge for the marines at the barracks. The history is pretty vague, but I believe the tunnels existed before the start of WW2. 
      In the early 1960s when the melville Barracks were demolished to make way for the council offices, and most of the tunnel entrances were sealed up.

The Explore
      After a few weeks of planning me and Brewtal finally got round to visiting here. This one requires a little more caution as the entrance method is somewhat brazen. 
      After a bit of head scratching we devised a plan and went for it. We were in! 
      I'd be forewarned about the stairs, and everything said was absolutely right!. The wooden stairs are very rotten and very dangerous. Even when taking extra care, we had a few brown pants moments. 
      Once at the bottom of the lower level we could relax and start exploring. The lower level is quite extensive and we saw as much as we could. 
      Unfortunately we were fairly time limited, so we didn't mess around too much. I found the stairs going up to the upper levels, but decided against it this time. Re-visit for that one me thinks. 
      It was refreshing to see no graffiti or vandalism. The access situation has protected it pretty well I suspect. 

Photos

The bottom of the stairs. These were supposed to be the 'Ok' stairs. Dread to think what the 'bad' stairs were like.

The stairs to the upper levels.

Disclaimer

Oblivion State exists as an online forum to allow like minded individuals to share their experiences of Urban Exploration. We do not condone breaking and entering or other criminal activity and advise all members to read the FAQ articles about the forum and urban exploring in general. All posts are the responsibility of the original poster and all images remain copyright to the original photographer.

We would just like to thank

Forum user AndyK! from Behind Closed Doors for our rather excellent new logo.

All of our fantastic team of Moderators who volunteer their time to keep this place running smoothly.

All of our members for continuing to support Oblivion State by posting up the most awesome content. Thank you everyone!