• Similar Content

• By he who must rome
      T'was a reet nice day out starting with Papplewick Pumping Station which is a reet nice Victorian water pumping station the Engine House holds the original Twin beam Engines which are independent of each other one for pumping the water up from the 200 foot deep well and the other to pump this water to an underground Reservoir again Victorian built with magnificent arch ways, sadly to day this is no longer in use due to the failing of the Reservoir walls where large cracks can be seen from what is thought to be from Deep Coal Mining within the area.
      on with the pic's since my last few reports have been heavily steeped in history this one is light in comparison (there will be an in-depth historical write up on my blog later).
      A fountain within the grounds

Victorian Craftsmanship at its best.

Pressure clocks for one Engine.

On the top floor the Twin Beams.

Within the Boiler House lives 6 Lancashire Boilers 2 of which are full originals and the other 4 have had some form of work on them in the past.

Time for the Victorian Reservoir.

A controller gate valve which is controlled from above ground.

There will be a full write up and more pictures and video's in my blog some time soon of the running Engines under steam power, if you want a link PM me on here.....Hope you liked the pic's
    • By RiF
      NOTE: Dont get your hopes up about this place, its sealed up now
      The buildings were originally the site of the Beeston Brewery which was founded in 1896 and carried on production until 1922 when it was taken over by Shipstones & Sons and converted into maltings, which served the main brewerys in Nottingham.
      Beeston was the first pneumatic maltings in Britain. It was constructed in 1878, for Messrs Waite, Corbould and Faulkner of the Beeston Brewery Company. It was closely followed by one for Messrs Flowers and Sons at Stratford-upon-Avon, Two other pneumatic maltings on the same system were constructed shortly afterwards, firstly for Nimmo and Sons at the Castle Eden Brewery, County Durham, and then slightly later for Messrs Sedgwick and Co at Watford. Of these examples, the only building known to survive with at least its original shell is that at Beeston. Two other pneumatic maltings on the same system were constructed shortly afterwards, firstly for Nimmo and Sons at the Castle Eden Brewery, County Durham, and then slightly later for Messrs Sedgwick and Co at Watford. Of these examples, the only building known to survive with at least its original shell is that at Beeston.
      Unfortunately this traditional floor maltings, which supplied many of the country’s craft brewers, closed in 2000 for redevelopment as residential units.
      Visited with Raptor Jesus

The remaining photo's not shown here can be viewed here: Maltings
      Thanks for looking
      RiF
    • By Shadow
      Hey all, heres me and Jesus's latest..
      This is one of Nottinghams few remaining tanneries and the only other underground tannery. (The main one is featured in nottinghams city of caves attraction).
      Originally tunneled out of Sandstone it consists of a few rooms underneath a lace market house as part of the cellars. Then a long passageway with 3 rooms, one of which the tannery, at the far end. When speaking to the owner of this site I found out that this was actually an illegal tannery, and was operating without a permit or license (this was a good 200 years ago) and he actually found a newspaper article on it, stating the William Merrin had been fined. Some of the rooms were extremely photogenic, especially the chair graveyard (I will come on to this) but they were also extremely hard to get all of it into shot considering the confined space..
      We also had great fun growling at people through the street level grate onto the pavement and watching their reactions
      On with the pics!
      The cellars...

Door leading to Merrin's Tannery

The bottle of, erm... STUFF!!

Long passage

Creepy Chair No1

Chair No2, looked a million years old and felt older, would literally disintegrate when touched. This was in the chair graveyard room, the whole room was filled with crumbling bits of wooden chairs.

Jesus

The tanning baths

More cellars, which used to be for storage, still contained some amusing items..

Moi et un old skool phone FTW!

A book on how to handle lovebirds, why not?

The legendary street level grate, where Jesus practiced his "cave pigeon" impressions and I growled "thats where the tasty humans live" at passers by Vids to come...
      Thats all for now folks
      Shadow
    • By Shadow
      In the time after my recent fame in teh nooospaper of doom I received a rather interesting email. From the owner of a derelict factory stating that it was to be redeveloped and that he wanted some photos of it before it was changed forever.
      Now let me explain, that this is not a report, but only a recce, I cannot possibly show the true scale of this place from a single set of photos, its friggin huuuuuge, god knows how many floors, a unbeatable view over nottingham (as it is on top of a cliff) and most interestingly, a basement level full of machinery that is currently inaccessible, however the owner has agreed to let us abseil down to it through a large hole in the floor
      The purpose of this visit was to walk around the site with the owner and he could tell us some of the history and warn us of the unsafe bits to let us bring the right kit next time. These photos i took as snaps on the way round.
      On with the pics!

The tower, there used to be a spiral staircase to the top

Can't wait to go back
    • By Shadow
      Stupid bloody spur of the moment explores...Gotta love em.
      Whilst walking back from doing a quick site visit with a dodgy kodak compact from work, I spotted an open door, what good fortune

Only got a few pics cos I was due back at work, should hopefully revisit soon, I hope the door is still open
      Peace, Out
      Shadow