Sign in to follow this  
vanishing days

Shorts Brother Sea Plane Factory Rochester 2008

After spending many many hours down shorts tunnels i went slighltly mad but was well worth it went down one day when it was dark came back out and it was dark again. ive finally sorted through my 10gb of pictures sorry for all the pics. if ive got any of the details wrong let me no and ill change it.

the tunnels were original built for Shorts brothers sea plane factory in pre war times. in 1941 the tunnels were extended to contain the public air raid shelter parts these were around 300 meters long with many entrances and exits they also contain a command centre and a medical centre.

after the war the blawknox took over the sight. in the 1990s the sight was abandoned and left to decay the was a development on the sight as a massive housing complex was built all around it. the sight has suffered from serious vandal problems as of late including a severe fire which resulted in the sight being sealed by the council.

factory parts of the site

IMG_3675.jpg

IMG_3292.jpg

IMG_3287.jpg

IMG_3291.jpg

IMG_3304.jpg

IMG_3297.jpg

IMG_3294.jpg

IMG_3285.jpg

IMG_3682.jpg

IMG_3691.jpg

IMG_3335.jpg

IMG_3332.jpg

IMG_3333.jpg

IMG_3340.jpg

IMG_3342.jpg

IMG_3345.jpg

IMG_3370.jpg

IMG_3426.jpg

IMG_3701.jpg

IMG_3394.jpg

IMG_3396.jpg

IMG_3415.jpg

IMG_3408.jpg

IMG_3702.jpg

IMG_3695.jpg

IMG_3699.jpg

IMG_3423.jpg

im guessing this was the were the genrators were and the mail room

IMG_3369.jpg

IMG_3350.jpg

IMG_3368.jpg

IMG_3356.jpg

IMG_3362.jpg

IMG_3365.jpg

toilets

IMG_3755.jpg

IMG_3741.jpg

IMG_3743.jpg

IMG_3746.jpg

IMG_3747.jpg

IMG_3748.jpg

IMG_3749.jpg

unfinished sections of the tunnels possibly an extension

IMG_3319.jpg

IMG_3320.jpg

IMG_3321.jpg

this is one of the air shafts and one of the man holes always waned to no were these came out.

IMG_3571.jpg

IMG_3382.jpg

IMG_3351.jpg

on to the air raid sections

IMG_3428.jpg

IMG_3434.jpg

IMG_3739.jpg

IMG_3731.jpg

IMG_3726.jpg

IMG_3716.jpg

IMG_3626.jpg

IMG_3607.jpg

IMG_3613.jpg

IMG_3622.jpg

IMG_3591.jpg

IMG_3738.jpg

IMG_3530.jpg

IMG_3538.jpg

IMG_3524.jpg

IMG_3579.jpg

i have an obbsesion with the signs dwn here

IMG_3623.jpg

IMG_3412.jpg

IMG_3431.jpg

IMG_3474.jpg

IMG_3480.jpg

IMG_3484.jpg

IMG_3504.jpg

IMG_3514.jpg

IMG_3492.jpg

IMG_3467.jpg

IMG_3434.jpg

an interesting attempt at a wall

IMG_3441.jpg

gun shots

IMG_3463.jpg

IMG_3495.jpg

IMG_3499.jpg

IMG_3508.jpg

IMG_3501.jpg

the well

IMG_3491.jpg

IMG_3489.jpg

are these stores or bays of some form

IMG_3602.jpg

IMG_3732.jpg

IMG_3734.jpg

medical stations approaching this we could here rushing water and found the medical station partially flooded by a burst pipe

IMG_3545.jpg

the tunnels had many first aid boxes scatered throughout

IMG_3506.jpg

IMG_3534.jpg

IMG_3540.jpg

IMG_3543.jpg

IMG_3549.jpg

the illusive black door

IMG_3550.jpg

IMG_3551.jpg

IMG_3552.jpg

IMG_3554.jpg

IMG_3556.jpg

and some graffiti dnt no when its from id like to think the war

IMG_3487.jpg

IMG_3562.jpg

IMG_3565.jpg

IMG_3619.jpg

the elevator tunnel does anyone no were this came out

IMG_0484.jpg

IMG_0474.jpg

sorry for the shear amount of pictures just dnt wana miss anything does anyone have a map of the place?

I think you managed to photograph everything down there!

Re: the elevator shaft, I believe it went UP and not DOWN. Everyone thinks it went down into the tunnels, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that it actually went up to the factory at the top of the cliff, the only way into and out of the tunnels was by the two entrances that we still see today, although now sealed up.

Maniac.

i look forward to getting my chance in here, you've covered it all really well mate, and all are great pictures :) well worth waiting for

That looks great, is this not the place that some girl burnt down? I am sure it was said somewhere about this tunnel being burnt down?

There was a fire in the tunnels earlier on in the year, local medway idiots that had nothing better to do I expect. The damage was very localised to the area where lots of old paper documents were situated, sadly they were all destroyed.

Sorry to dig up this old post, but i stumbled across it whilst searching for information on these tunnels.

When I was a kid I used to live in one of the houses which were built on the old site of the Shorts Brothers factories and I would regularly venture into these tunnels which I found amazing.

Unfortunately the two main entrances to the tunnels which i used are totally welded shut now. :( I know there were two other entrances though, one that I ended up coming out of to my surprise, which was in the gated complex of apartments next to the roundabout on the Esplanade at the bottom of Backfields. (had to run out of there with a security guard shouting at me!) and i believe there was an air vent of some kind some way above the main entrances on a bank adjacent to the road behind Fennel Close.

Anyone have any info on the whereabouts of the entrances as my memory is failing me to the exact location of these...

If they did no offence matey your a new member and we wouldnt say anything on an open post anyways!

Yeh thats totally understandable!

I think I've spotted the location on bing maps so I may have a wonder over there this week sometime and see if it's open.

Those of you that have been in there, how far into the tunnels did you get? i remember there were a few walls that had been erected to block off the older longer tunnel. The first few walls you come to have been knocked down, but whoever knocked these walls down obviously tired of the activity as the further you get through the tunnel the less of the wall has been knocked down, until you get to a wall which hasnt been touched. I'm just wondering if perhaps they link up with Fort Clarence and perhaps even the tunnels that are reputed to run under the crypts in the Cathedral and Castle....

Im no expert but from the people who i know who have been all known ways in are sealed. :sad2: