Sign in to follow this  
vanishing days

18th Century Caves Military Road - Dover - Kent - 09/11/2008

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Maniac
      The Margate caves are situated at one end of Northdown Road in Margate, and run for a reasonable distance underneath the site of a one time vicarage and church, both of which were destroyed in WWII - and the site is now a car park. Origenally they are thought to have started out as a denehole, but have had many uses in their past including a prison with dungeons that can be seen today, a secret place of workship buring times of religious persecution, and as a hideout and storage for smugglers with passeges to and from the sea.
      The caves fell out of use at some point and got forgotten about until somewhere near the end of the 18th Century, a man named Francais Forster built a large house called Northumberland House, and around 1798 his gardener re-discovered the caves by accidently digging into them. A private entrance into the caves was made, and it was during this time that most of the murals and paintings you can see in the caves today were created. According to local history, the paintings were all done by a local artist named Brazier, who unfortunitely destroyed many interesting aspects of the caves contruction when the walls were smoothed over to create a surface for his work.
      In 1914 a new entrance was cut from the cellar of the vicarage, which is the entrance that is still used today. In the making of this entrance, one of the murals (The Thanet Hunt) was destroyed.
      The Caves were opened as a tourist attraction, but were eventually closed to the public in 2003 amid 'safety concerns' and the council has put forward plans to have them filled in and housing built on the land above on more than one occassion. Each time it's been blocked and thus they now sit there today doing nothing. (Quite honestly there's nothing unsafe about them they just need cleaning up a bit, but of course caves don't really make councils any money, but land for housing does! )
      There have been proposals recently to re-open the caves as part of the Margate Regenration scheme, but as far as I know at the moment no real progress has been made on this.
      Explored with Fortknox0, Obscurity, Frosty, Gizmo and Townie.

Thank for Looking!
      Maniac.
    • By Maniac
      Visited with Frosty, Shadow, Muffie and Vanishing Days,
      Mid Kent College Horsted Campus was originally built to be a government training center, it was left for nearly two years until it was actually opened as the Medway College of Technology. The campus originally opened with these original subjects, Building, Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Mechanical Engineering, and Science. From walking around the site now, it is clear a lot more subjects were available and a few of the buildings look to be of a much more recent time. The campus was opened by the Duke of Edinburgh in 1955, when he also met a few of the students and staff.
      This place is much more interesting that you first think it's going to be. There's around 10 seperate buildings on the site, we managed to explore 2 of them fully, and most of a 3rd one before being distrubed by a pikie with a rather large crowbar in hand - we decided a hasty exit was called for. There's soooo much more to see however, and I don't think we've seen the best of it yet.
      Unfortunitely the pikies are ruining it inside very quickly, it won't be long before it's a total mess. At the moment there's quite a lot of interesting bits and pieces to see.
      View along the front of one of the buildings

Not worked out why I like this staircase so much yet.

Evidence of Science and engineering all over the site with lots of big bits of equipment left in situ

Corridortastic

They also did Drama and performing arts by the looks of things in the curious round building which had this studio at the bottom and dressing rooms etc. all round the 2nd floor.

Absolutely mint lecture theatre

Interesting specimen in the Biology Lab

More labs - there were loads of them

There's definitely more to find here.
      Maniac.
    • By Maniac
      The bunker along Road Of Remembrance in Folkestone is believed to have been a WW2 naval communication facility. It originally had two entrances several rooms and toilets, with a ventilation room above the complex.
      You can still see the remains of several WW2 posters on the walls of this place.
      There may be plans to renovate this bunker and open it to the public as part of the plans for marking the centenary of the outbreak of hostilities in WW1 which takes place in 2014.
      More information here
      http://www.grand-uk.com/Step%20Short.html
      There's also a rather nice map of the place here.
      http://www.grand-uk.com/Step%20Short%20Files/Step%20Short%20Bunker%20map.pdf
      Looking back towards the main entrance

Looking back towards the second entrance

Few nice features left.

Remains of posters

It's definitely one of the best condition WWII bunkers I've been in.
      Thanks for looking!
      Maniac.
    • By Maniac
      Just remembered about these photos, so thought I'd stick them up anyway.
      The guilford shaft is a spiral staircase built inside the cliff face at Dover consisting of 214 steps, connecting the Moats Bulwark at the bottom of the cliff to Dover Castle. The staircase is broken up by different levels along the way, including one which resembles a deep air raid shelter.
      It's had several uses during its time, including uses in WWII, but it now lies empty and decaying, although it is in very good shape indeed, considering it's not been maintained for years!

This is the part that resembles a deep shelter, although it's no in very good shape.

At the very top

And just for the hell of it, there's a lot of these down there.

Moi at the top looking down

Thanks for looking!
      Maniac.
    • By Maniac
      Of all my years exploring Dover, this is one place that kept evading me, mainly because I didn't know where the entrance was! Oh I've spent many hours wondering around the area trying to find it!
      Anyhow, Frosty and co kindly showed me where it was the other night (cheers dude!) , so I was able to finally take some photos of it!
      Langdon hole was an underground communication centre during WWII. Sometimes referred to as Dumpy B, purely because it acted in the same role, although it bears little resemblance to the Dumpy level of Dover Castle.
      Entrance to this place is interesting, as all the steps are missing, so you have a very steep slope to contend with on entry - not one to do on a wet day!
      Anyhow, here are a few photos.
      This is the entrance way looking back up from the bottom.

With lots of old metal containers at the bottom

Which leads through this walkway into the rest of the complex

Which looks like this

There's an un-lined tunnel which leads to another entrance, now blocked

Maniac.

Disclaimer

Oblivion State exists as an online forum to allow like minded individuals to share their experiences of Urban Exploration. We do not condone breaking and entering or other criminal activity and advise all members to read the FAQ articles about the forum and urban exploring in general. All posts are the responsibility of the original poster and all images remain copyright to the original photographer.

We would just like to thank

Forum user AndyK! from Behind Closed Doors for our rather excellent new logo.

All of our fantastic team of Moderators who volunteer their time to keep this place running smoothly.

All of our members for continuing to support Oblivion State by posting up the most awesome content. Thank you everyone!