Sign in to follow this  
Shadow

Heights of Abraham - Matlock 06/04/09

What a fun day this was, getting lost, looking for the sacred ATM, eating lots of ice cream and nearly missing the last cable car back by 3 minutes.

I should explain, the heights of abraham is a tourist attraction in Matlock, consisting of cable cars to the top of a huuuge hill then guided tours of mines, but I remember as a child being taken there and then going for a walk with my parents, we got somewhat lost and eventually found a mine audit for a section of the mines that wasn't opened to the public, so our mission for the day had two objectives;

1 - Annoy tour guides with general faffing around with cameras etc

2 - Find mine

I can assure you we accomplished both.

On with the pics!

Firstly, from the guided tour

m1.jpg

m3.jpg

m4.jpg

m5.jpg

These people are too trusting sometimes, they think that a simple keep out sign will do when theres an open gate :lol:

m9-1.jpg

m8.jpg

m7.jpg

m6.jpg

Now here are the pics of the abandoned section of mine, that was sadly flooded.

m10.jpg

Some....thing, that we found...in a tree, looks like HDR, but....isn't haha

AT FUCKING LAST

after walking in the wrong direction for aaages and stumbling through bushes we finally found it!

m11.jpg

m12.jpg

m13.jpg

We thats all I got, think Jesus got some more.

Hope you like

Peace, Out

Shadow

I'll get my few pics that were any good up soon.

On the plus side, near to matlock is something substantially bigger, we think.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Urbansnooper
      Harworth Colliery is a mothballed coal mine in the Bassetlaw area of north Nottinghamshire. It has recently been abandoned due to troubles at the seam.

History
      Work began on sinking the shaft in 1913, when the Northern Union Mining Company was set up. This was with an investment in German equipment and men, but with the start of the First World War (1914-1918) the German workers were interned and the company's assets were impounded by the Government, and so construction was halted.
      Later in 1917 the pit was bought by Messrs. Barber, Walker & Co. for �80,100, becoming full owners in 1921 after the war repayments scheme. The sinking of the shafts was started with preliminary works in 1919, but the first real sinking started in 1921. Water problems were encountered but this was overcome with the solidification of the ground with liquid cement grout. On 29 October 1923 the shaft sinkers eventually reached the Barnsley coal seam at 848 metres (2,782 ft) although there were problems with underground faults. The second shaft also reached the Barnsley seam on 15 November 1923.
      In 1924 the colliery was connected with a 4.2 km railway line to connect with the LNER-owned East coast main line. The ECML became very congested and a connection the South Yorkshire Joint Railway was considered, also linking the new Firbeck Colliery (sinking started in 1923) near Carlton in Lindrick. A triangle junction would lead to another triangle junction near Styrrup with lines going to Harworth and another going through Oldcotes and Langold to reach Firbeck. The forecast for Harworth was 5000 tons per day; this would have meant more congestion, so the opportunity was taken by the new owners on the SYJR (LNER and the LMS) to build the line to connect both collieries. This was completed in 1928.
      There were also several Coke ovens at Harworth, and like Maltby Main Colliery it was decided to modernise the pit in the 1950s. Rebuilding with the concrete headgears began in the late 1950s.
      These structures were replaced with the current headgears in 1989 (No 1 Shaft) and 1996 (No2 Shaft). Shortly after the No1 Headgears were built the new surface main mine fan was also commissioned to efficiently ventilate the workings.
      In more recent history, Harworth reached the one-million-tonnes-in-a-year figure in 1993.
      The pit's closure was considered in November 2002 when owners UK Coal warned the 400 workers the pit was in trouble unless yearly losses of �8 million could be reversed. Three years later, to save the pit, the only possible solution for the 450 workers was to invest �50 million to access a new seam. If that was to happen the pit would have up to 25 more years worth of coal.
      The pit is now known to be never opening again and the latest news is that the Towers are soon to be demolished.
      THE VISIT.
      Having lived local to the place all my life I just Had to get up the 85M high tower again ( having done so previously on a visit when they first opened )
      The site is pretty well protected by a surrounding fence and infared cameras all over the site. I figured that last nights poor weather (the secca there dont like rain) and activity else where on the site where houses are being built was my chance, so a quick entry and head straight for the towers happened, there are no cameras that I saw and just a nesting pair of peregrine falcons for company. It was dark and dusty and im not the best photographer in those conditions so I apologise for some poor quality pics

• By chopper

Detached Bastion

Drop Redoubt

St. Martin's Battery
      This whole area must be a doggers paradise. Condoms everywhere, a smell of shame in the air, and we found a bloody carrot!

The Grand Shaft

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed

• By Urbex Ninja
      I honestly have no idea what these caves are, they're close to the South Front Barracks. If anybody could share some information on it, it would be appreciated!

• By Wevsky
      Right i posted a detached bastion report this is the north entrance leading onto the road that you see on the trail thru the moat going towards detached..Not going into history its Napoleonic as id finally managed to get in here i thought id post a short report..
      Visited with uncle bulgaria who didnt quite manages to get in ..i think hed had to much dinner as the gap was small!!Right on with some pics of whats behind those doors you can see from the road!!

Oh look inside the doors you can see from the road..how the dickens did i get in there!!

Right nothing ground breaking or epic..but i had wandered past the north entrance from the road and the moat and thought how the ferk do you get in there!!Well now i know,thanks for looking

Disclaimer

Oblivion State exists as an online forum to allow like minded individuals to share their experiences of Urban Exploration. We do not condone breaking and entering or other criminal activity and advise all members to read the FAQ articles about the forum and urban exploring in general. All posts are the responsibility of the original poster and all images remain copyright to the original photographer.

We would just like to thank

Forum user AndyK! from Behind Closed Doors for our rather excellent new logo.

All of our fantastic team of Moderators who volunteer their time to keep this place running smoothly.

All of our members for continuing to support Oblivion State by posting up the most awesome content. Thank you everyone!