Sign in to follow this  
vanishing days

Band Photography

Hello eveyone

ive been offered some work by MC lars to follow him around the uk on his next tour in march

Im looking to expand my kit for this really ive got around 450 to spend my current kit is

eos 40d

kit lense

battery grip

bout 20gb of cards

what would people suggest i get next i was thinking a flash but as ive never done gig photgraphy im not to sure any help would be great please

cheers

Arron

You definitely don't want a flash, never photograph bands with flash photography as it spoils the atmosphere normally. Ocassionally you can get away with it, but generally it doesn't work.

To be honest, you don't really *need* anything else, but there could be a couple of things that can come in handy.

As mentioned a decent lens which covers as wide range as possible could be a useful addition, as you don't really want to be faffing around changing lens in the middle of a gig. I would also be looking to have at least 2 sets of spare batteries and spare memory cards with me, not sure how many of each you've got.

Sounds silly, but depending on the venue a small foot stool or something can come in handy to get you up a little higher if you want some different angles.

If you don't already have one, buy a decent bag to keep your camera gear in as well. :thumb

I'm no expert, having only done 2 gigs, both local venues. But I have found using a speedlite flashgun type thing can be quite effective. Rather than aiming the flash directly at your subject, bounce it off the ceiling or the wall. Using it with a 0.5 / 1 sec exposure creates some interesting motion effects. I quite liked them, but it might not be something for you. These were the first shots I did using these, so it's a technique that could definitely be used to greater effect! Maybe less power on the flash, I don't know. Anyway...

7550809710_ee84b879cd_b.jpg

_MG_9310 by Adam Browning, on Flickr

7550848506_1604c31344_b.jpg

_MG_9208 by Adam Browning, on Flickr

SLWX, you have commented on a post that nearly 3 years old fella ;)

...Maybe the band turned up late? :D Will check dates in future!

SLWX, you have commented on a post that nearly 3 years old fella ;)

...Maybe the band turned up late? :D Will check dates in future!

Tats what I like, optimism!!!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By btf.photography
      Good Evening Everyone,

Just a quick intro to myself, my name is Ben, and im the Photographer at B T Frewin Photography, hence my profile name, and i currently live in Rotherham.
      I am pretty much new to the whole urbex scene, but have a ton of experience with my camera and love a good explore.
      Im just reaching out to fellow rotherham/sheffield urban explores/photographers who wouldnt mind meeting oneday to explore new places and exsisting ones and hopefully get me fully into this.

If so, drop me a messege.

Cheers.
    • By Mockingbird
      Awoke early down a farmers track at 6am, cold an legs numb from the sleep in the car, this place was on my list so it was time to tick it off.
      I rather enjoyed seeing these myself as from peoples pics here an there across the web, light painted like mad in here to even get a shot I was pleased of, loved the peep holes an how the light began to shine in from one end of the cells.
      Some history
      St. Mary’s was originally a work house and later turned into a hospital, this place, unlike most others, retained some of it's original features from it's Workhouse origins. The whole Vagrant's block had been retained. Why they did this was unclear, but a small section of this small block was converted into a small Mortuary that would service both St Mary's and Melton Mowbray cottage hospitals

Thanks for looking everyone
    • By Mockingbird
      Hey folks!
      Have not posted in awhile so thought I would share a fair amount of places, I have visited over the past few months.
      This place I was keen to visit, I dont really like hospitals much but this small place caught my eye, mainly for those luxury tray pillows
      I heard its now sealed if anyone is venturing this way anytime soon, but other places are doable onsite
      Anyway A small mortuary!

Short & Sweet! Cheers for taking a look!
    • By Msix
      Hello all
      Here is my new website (in english for you enjoyment):
      www.msixphotography.com
      And my new Facebook fan page:
      https://www.facebook.com/msixphoto

Come take a look and give us a like and share, thanks guys & gals.
      See ya
      Johann
    • By Hydro

Just thought id leave this here to do with as you please...
      www.facebook.com/seldomseenworldue
      i know facebook is the devil and it disgusts me with image quality but most my friends dont know what a forum is never mind how to navigate one