Sign in to follow this  
PowerSurge

West Norwood Cemetery and Catacombs 2010

More of an organsied visit than an explore. I had seen the Catacombs on Cities of the Underworld on the History Channel and had always wanted to go and seen them in person.

Brief History taken form Wikipedia:

The cemetery was built on the site of the ancient Great North Wood, from which Norwood took its name. Although many trees had been cleared, a number of mature specimens were included in Tite's original landscaping. A tree survey of the cemetery in 2005 identified one oak which is thought to date from 1540-1640. Fourteen more oaks, a maple and an ash tree were identified that predate the foundation of the cemetery in 1836. In the first years of the cemetery's operation, these were joined by coniferous trees and evergreen holm oaks.

The site originally included two Gothic chapels at the crest of the hill, but these were badly damaged by bombing during World War II. The Dissenter's chapel was rebuilt as a Crematorium while the Episcopal chapel was levelled, to be replaced by a memorial garden over its crypt. In 1842 a section of the cemetery was acquired by London's Greek community for a Greek Orthodox cemetery, and this soon filled with many fine monuments and large mausoleums. Grade II*-listed St Stephen's Chapel within the Greek section is attributed to architect John Oldrid Scott. Another section in the south-east corner was acquired by St Mary-at-Hill in the City of London for its own parish burials.

Between 1978 and 1993 the cemetery achieved several levels of official recognition by being included in the West Norwood Conservation Area, while the entrance arch, the fine railings and 64 monuments were listed as Grade II and II* - more listed monuments than any other cemetery.

However, space for new burials ran out in the inter-war years, and, deprived of this regular source of income, the cemetery company was unable to properly afford its upkeep. Lambeth Council compulsorily purchased the cemetery in 1965, and controversially claimed ownership over existing graves. Lambeth changed some of the character of the grounds through "lawn conversion", removing at least 10,000 monuments (including some of the listed monuments) and restarted new burials by re-using plots. Southwark Diocesan Consistory Court cases in 1991 and 1995 found this to be illegal and brought about the cessation of new burials, and forced the restoration of a handful of the damaged or removed monuments. In addition it required Lambeth to publish an index of cleared plots so that the current entitled owners can request restitution. As a consequence of the courts' findings Lambeth now operates the cemetery in accordance with a scheme of management under the joint control of all interested parties that includes Lambeth, the Diocese, the local Friends of West Norwood Cemetery and conservation bodies such as English Heritage.

Notable interments taken form Wikipedia

More than 200 people in the cemetery are recorded in the Dictionary of National Biography. The Friends of West Norwood Cemetery have recorded and compiled biographies for many more of these with:

* a large number of inventors, engineers, architects, and builders, such as Sir Hiram Maxim, inventor of the automatic machine gun, Sir Henry Bessemer, engineer and inventor of the famous steel process, James Henry Greathead who tunnelled much of the London Underground, William Burges and Sir William Tite, gothic architects

* many artists and entertainers, including: David Roberts, artist, William Collingwood Smith, painter, Joseph Barnby, composer and resident conductor at the Royal Albert Hall, Katti Lanner, ballet dancer, and actors E. J. Lonnen, Patsy Smart, and Mary Brough.

* many notable medics, such as: Dr William Marsden, founder of the Royal Free Hospital and The Royal Marsden Hospital, Dr Gideon Mantell, the geologist and pioneering palaeontologist, and Sister Eliza Roberts, (Florence Nightingale's principal nurse during the Crimean War)

* many sportsmen, including C. W. Alcock, founder of Test cricket and the FA Cup, Georg Hackenschmidt, Anglo-Estonian professional wrestler.

There are also the 'Great and the Good' of the time, such as Sir Henry Tate, sugar magnate and founder of London's Tate Gallery, Paul Julius Baron von Reuter, founder of the news agency, and the Revd. Charles Spurgeon, Baptist preacher, Isabella Beeton (the famous cookery writer), who died at 29 in childbirth, to name but a few.

The Greek diaspora is well represented, including the Ralli family, Panayis Vagliano, Rodocanachi family, and Princess Eugenie Palaeologue

Useful link http://www.fownc.org/ (Our guide for the day also writes on this site)

It was a truly amazing site, but creepy at times, especially when I came across a coffin from the early nineties in the catacombs that still had the remains of the flowers that had been put there by the mourners.

Anyway on with the pics

The crest on the main gate mentions connections to Canterbury

DSC_1427.jpg

Some of the monuments

DSC_1429.jpg

DSC_1430.jpg

DSC_1431.jpg

Now for the catacombs

The Coffin lift (The chapel above has been flatterned and replaced by a rose garden, There are plans to replace the chapel)

DSC_1454.jpg

The Arms of the Catacombs

CSC_1489.jpg

CSC_1490.jpg

DSC_1447bw.jpg

Looking into one of the sealed Catacombs

DSC_1439.jpg

And then you turn a corner and come across these

CSC_1488.jpg

CSC_1486.jpg

This was the creepiest one for me. These are the remains of flowers left on top of a coffin from the early nineties,

DSC_1479.jpg

Thanks for looking

Cheers Fluff :thumb I would love to have had more time in the catacombs to take better pics, but there was about twenty of us down there (as well as about 200 Dead) and we where on a time limit :cry:

dont worry mate, the photos came out lovely! this place looks amazing! well done for getting in there...permission or not, Its stil a good report. Thanks for posting

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Wevsky
      This was originally an invite kindly offered by Mr Jobs for me and the wife,the wife had to decline due to ill health so i jumped at the chance of 3 days under paris with a bunch of strange chaps in waders.
      Was picked up by Maniac along with non member Mr perry to then head to dover to meet Bigjobs,Paradox,Fb,James and amy and then head out on the 2.15 ferry!
      Bit of car trouble and a sleep later we are all on our way into Paris to find our entry point.
      Once inside i have to say it was pretty full on with the pace and we spent the majority of the time on the march from one area to the next and from what i can gather we did some milage from the very north to the furthest south of this section with many stop off's in-between,i didnt have chance to grab as many pictures as i wanted to due to the camera being buried under the kit i took and for not wanting to hold the rest of the group up constantly setting up shots,and to be fair there is no real way to get my gear out safely when your ball deep in water.
      Really enjoyed this trip and the party nye was a great end to the night with some really decent people.
      Enough waffle and on with the pictures that i did manage to get..Just a final massive thanks to all concerned ,it was a great trip and one i wont forget in a hurry
      Pics in no particular order..

People with maps who know where im going..

Pic heavy alert

And my favourite picture

Thanks to all involved couldn't have imagined a more decent a way to spent NYE..
    • By Urbexbandoned
      History

Pair of former chapels, now disused. 1856. By Michael Drury. Coursed and squared rubble with ashlar dressings and plain
      tile roof. Gothic Revival style with pointed arched windows and Geometrical tracery.
      EXTERIOR: chamfered and moulded plinth, sill band, moulded eaves, coped gables with crosses and finials.
      North side has a central gable with an archway and shafts, flanked by single gabled buttresses. Beyond, single blocked
      3-light windows.
      To left, the octagonal east chapel has angle buttresses and 3 gables, each with a 4-light window. Roof gablets. Fleche
      removed.
      To right, west chapel with apsidal end and buttresses, 3 bays, with six 2-light windows with hoodmoulds. In the north gable,
      a 5-light window.
      Square north-west tower, 3 stages, has to north a gabled doorway with shafts. Above, a trefoiled vescia piscis and to
      east, a 2-light window. Third stage has a foiled corbel table and to north, a rose window. On the other sides, 3-light
      windows. Spire removed.
      INTERIOR: east chapel has an arch braced conical roof with collars forming a corona. West chapel has a moulded stone arch
      to the apse, and an arch braced double purlin roof. Both chapels have foliage corbels.           

The Explore 

This was the first explore out with my new camera and i'm pretty chuffed with the pics. I really can't take any credit at all for this,  @hamtagger, has been watching this place for probably the best part of 2 years. I would have known nothing about it otherwise. We were on an evening walk through the cemetery (being interested in the dead and all, this is how we roll) when we noticed that the door was slightly ajar. Outside the door there are a few beer cans which at a guess gave me the impression that a drunk had tried getting in. Not equipped with our camera's and with light not being on our side we decided to come back another day. After a few days we found ourselves in there one afternoon. Not knowing what to expect really, we knew that the place had been closed for a long time and judging by the quantity of pigeon shit even behind the door which had built up in to a mound having been recently opened it was longer than we thought. This should have been called the Pigeon Palace. What a lovely little place for these flying rats to nest. 
      Only the West side is accessible, going in through the door it has a lovely porch area. To the left was a small room, teracotta and black diamond floor made from Clay tiles, 2 windows and a small fire looking thing in the corner.
      On the right as you go in there is another door which leads to the tower. Unfortunately no way you can get up with the rotting stairs and platfforms above. The spire had been removed leading to a lot of water ingress.
      The main Chapel was relatively pretty, decorated at the edges where the concrete arches were with foliage made from stone. The Pews were nicely crafted too. The altar still remains but very bare. Allthough it very much had the feeling of a church there was very little to make clear that it was infact a church other than those things we would recognise as being in one. There were no plaques on the wall, inside or out. No scriptures, nothing. I really enjoyed it, despite the pigeon cemetery and faeces inside. Some really nice woodwork on the window frames on the exterior of the East side, I have googled and nothing has come up. It looks like a crocodile/Alligator/Lizard??

Anyway, on with the pics and thanks for looking!

6, The Pews had suffered from woodworm, sadly.

8, The remains of the tower

• By MiaroDigital
      Supply shaft - west
      a abandoned part of a german steal factory...

Supply shaft west 01 by Miaro Digital, auf Flickr

Supply shaft west 02 by Miaro Digital, auf Flickr

Supply shaft west 03 by Miaro Digital, auf Flickr

Supply shaft west 04 by Miaro Digital, auf Flickr

Supply shaft west 05 by Miaro Digital, auf Flickr

Supply shaft west 06 by Miaro Digital, auf Flickr

Supply shaft west 07 by Miaro Digital, auf Flickr

Supply shaft west 08 by Miaro Digital, auf Flickr

Supply shaft west 09 by Miaro Digital, auf Flickr

Supply shaft west 10 by Miaro Digital, auf Flickr

Supply shaft west 11 by Miaro Digital, auf Flickr

Supply shaft west 12 by Miaro Digital, auf Flickr

Supply shaft west 13 by Miaro Digital, auf Flickr
    • By Dmax
      A run around the Paris Catacombs with some friends

Disclaimer

Oblivion State exists as an online forum to allow like minded individuals to share their experiences of Urban Exploration. We do not condone breaking and entering or other criminal activity and advise all members to read the FAQ articles about the forum and urban exploring in general. All posts are the responsibility of the original poster and all images remain copyright to the original photographer.

We would just like to thank

Forum user AndyK! from Behind Closed Doors for our rather excellent new logo.

All of our fantastic team of Moderators who volunteer their time to keep this place running smoothly.

All of our members for continuing to support Oblivion State by posting up the most awesome content. Thank you everyone!