Sign in to follow this  
Maniac

Esplanade tunnels, Dover - Oct 2010

This elusive set of tunnels has been evading me ever since I started getting into this hobby about 3 years ago. I've seen pictures, I've missed out on opportunities to see them on more than one ocassion, and for at least the last 2 years I've been religiously checking and trying to find access into them. I'd almost given up, until a message from a certain person on Monday night changed all that!

Now for those outside of Kent, you might be wondering what all the fuss it about, after all to most it just looks like "another chalk tunnel" but this is something else entirely. Essentially Esplanade level is 3 seperate smaller tunnel systems linked by a long tunnel known as the guilford tunnel - this interlinking tunnel is 1600ft long and stretches for a fair distance along the inside of the famous cliffs.

The 3 sections of esplanade are known as the Trevanion caves, Chapel caves and Athol caves and they are all a bit different to each other, having been constructed at different times and used for different purposes. You can only get to 2 of the sections as the Chapel caves were sealed off from the Guilford tunnel at some point in the past.

Here's a plan fron English Heritage showing how far the tunnels extend inside the cliffs.

EHesplanade.jpg

First, we went to the far end and had a nose at the Trevanion caves end of the tunnels. This was used as coal storage by the Dover gas company until the 1930's and as a result the chalk is quite black due to dust from the coal. Some areas of this are pretty large.

Stairway at the end of the guilford tunnel which leads down into the Trevanion caves area.

Image-3074.jpg

Image-3033.jpg

3. Some sections of it are lined

Image-3054.jpg

Image-3072.jpg

Image-3065.jpg

6. Lots of old tin bits and pieces all shoved in this alcove - there was quite a lot of bits like this, almost all of it is rusted to within an inch of its life.

Image-3066.jpg

Image-3068.jpg

Next the Guilford tunnel its self. This is a different thing to the more commonly known about guilford shaft which lies in the cliffline above esplanade level, but does not link with it. It is basically a long tunnel, not that interesting except it's had some serious support work done at some point in its history.

Image-3075.jpg

Image-3077.jpg

10. As you can see it's very long, and pretty straight. I walked about 1/4 of the way down in this shot, and pointed my torch back at the camera.

Image-3078.jpg

Then the Athol caves end of the complex, this is quite different to the other end, most of it is lined and it is more intricate with smaller tunnels and lots of junctions. I'm not sure what this was origenally used for.

Image-3081.jpg

Image-3082.jpg

13. Yes the stacked up wood is actually holding up the roof.

Image-3083.jpg

14. Image-3084.jpg

Image-3085.jpg

I now fully appreciate why a lot of people regard this as the best tunnel system in Dover, because it really is fantastic. It might only be another set of chalk tunnels, but it's all in great condition and different to a lot of the other tunnels in and around dover.

Thanks for looking,

Maniac.

Nice right up mike..should have done similar myself ..but you know me 6.10 in the morning when i got in so the right up wis minimal glad u got in there ...fun entry wasnt it!

Nice right up mike..should have done similar myself ..but you know me 6.10 in the morning when i got in so the right up wis minimal good luck on getting in there ...fun entry wasnt it!

It wasn't too bad for me, but I'm a skinny little f**ker.

Cheers for the comments :)

glad we got to see this one. was a good night and cheers to frosty. well done to the three of a for finding a way in. This is a very nice report maniac, i enjoyed reading it and the pictures compliment it well .Good effort dude. And you know me, there mite be a report from me pop up sometime next year hahaha. Still got so much to post. Aint even posted harold wood yet and have you noticed that since we went there have been no reports? Anyway im wondering off...good report and photos dude :cool2:

Nice right up mike..should have done similar myself ..but you know me 6.10 in the morning when i got in so the right up wis minimal good luck on getting in there ...fun entry wasnt it!

It wasn't too bad for me, but I'm a skinny little f**ker.

Cheers for the comments :)

skinny you noooo..slim and toned knox likes to call it lol

Brilliant write up and generally a very enjoyable report. Although im really really jealous.

Get your arse down here and I'll show it to you! :)

Brilliant write up and generally a very enjoyable report. Although im really really jealous.

Get your arse down here and I'll show it to you! :)

id like to go again mind u maniac uncle b is hoping he can squeeze in ill let u know v.soon:) if he does or not

Yes, I did see the shield, but I didn't photograph it - remembered about it on our way out and couldn't be bothered to go back. It is a top quality engraving thou.

"id like to go again mind u maniac uncle b is hoping he can squeeze in ill let u know v.soon:) if he does or not"

Well if you can't get back in you'll know who to blame! :lol:

I'm glad you got to see the place Maniac, Nice pics too. Did you see the shield engraving?

ill know who too blame oooh matey was that a subtle dig lol..mate its been in pretty much that condition for about 10 months id of thought you may have checked and seen this and gone in again sooner!Didnt mean to do it before some of the others (but cant see why i shouldnt have)but an oppurtunity is there to be taken! ;)

It's been like that for pretty much two years, not 10 months. The squatters in the boat shed next door have been making the hole bigger and bigger and slowly making the place more accessable. We were just sitting back waiting. I wasn't being subtle either. It's been sealed now and it's because of you.

so why have you guys waited..ive only been aware of it ,being told that it was like that when my friends checked it about 10 months ago!its easy enuff to get in so why exactly did you "guys"wait..i went in and did it yes ive upset people..why sit and moan now its been sealed when youve had knowledge of it being doable for so long..have i beaten certain gents to it who arent able to squeeze thru the gap..sealed you say ,no doubt as with every tunnel other ways will be available i didnt realise i had to ask permission before going in..all this will boil down to me posting..yes hasty ..but i have ..my bad!28dl put in in private as i asked in pm to mod..but not before i got slated by your friend from tuesday night when you went for a look!and yes the other forum i posted in aswell as here im sorry but i enjoy researching ,getting in and stupidly enuff being full of enthusiasm for my hobbies posting !maniac remove all this gumpf if u want seems im not complying to "their" rules so its allways my fault..personally get in there and do it if its been like that 2 years and stop bitching youve been sitting back waiting i squeezed in and did what i wanted as did the other two with me and indeed maniac and obs !

Guys,

can you keep any hostilities off the forum please. :)

At the end of the day what's done is done, sooner or later someone was going to have a proper go at that place. If it wasn't wevsky, it may well have been me, or at least 2 other people I know of who were dead keen on getting in there. I think you'll find a majority of the damage to that door over the last few months/years is more down to explorers than crack heads - there's an awful lot more people interested in that place than you think.

None of us on here own the place, so if one particular person or group of people takes it upon themselves to gain access then so be it, and there's nothing that me you or anyone else can do to stop people from doing that. On the other hand, if you are going to do that sort of thing, then plastering it all over the internet in public is possibly not the most tacful thing you could do.

The end, we'll have no more of it on the forum please.

Mike.

yes mike understood and noted for these delicate sites in future ill curb my enthusiasm..just dont like being told what to do by people as im not fitting into their plans,as you say we dont own them its fair game, nuff said young man and ill post main streamstuff public and if im not able to post in private on other forums i wont post atal or leave for a "sensible "period of time..!

Fair enough mike.

Edited: un-necessary provocative comment - please keep it civil.

I bet you laughed though!

I don't know why I'm moaning really. I've been in their loads of time. I supose I'm thinking of the others who haven't been in yet. When you get to my age we (or some of us) have a lot of patience. That's why we were sitting back watching the entrance being slowly destroyed...Let the chavs to the hard work, then just follow them in.

I won't mention the place again. :beer2:

2 out of focus pics where id been awake all night didnt spot them as i put them in from photobucket..i did let the chavs do the hard work and indeed followed them in..im not exactly young my self unfairytale ..just still full of energy!and what he said i wont mention either.and mike sorry for hijacking your post when mines just above it!

but i enjoy researching ,getting in and stupidly enuff being full of enthusiasm for my hobbies posting

I'd love to see that research Wevsky - I am sure it's taken at least an hour to compile?

For me its nothing to do with who gets in first - its about having the decency and common sense to think that maybe others would like to have a look when the times right, instead of posting on 3 forums publicly as soon as you explore it. I'm glad you have been able to tick it off your list. Sadly I, like others, had been waiting quite a few months to tick it off mine, and it seems I'll be waiting a lot longer than anticipated now.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Thelocksmithman
      Well here goes a first report on here since i joined in 2013, completely forgetting i had created an account so please accept my delayed apologies for being inactive...

I visited this place in 2014, so a while ago now... hence why the pictures are how they are . After an epic road trip up north, we returned to our hometown and had an opportunity for something we had been working on for a while. Exhausted from lack of sleep and driving many miles, we were not going to miss this window of opportunity and visited the place before it was no longer doable.

Really not sure on the history of the place, possibly built as wine vaults? Unable to find any records of it to be honest, it was really a right place at the right time thing. I believe it was at some point used as a youth club, then left vacant for a number of years and last i heard it was a gym. Unsure of the current situation, would like a revisit with the new camera and glass but beggars cant be choosers eh!!

Visited with non members JDY and xcon2icon. Access at the time was a walk in the park, and ive not seen it posted before so hoping its something that isn't the monotonous same old stuff for people to look at either, despite the lack of decent pictures!!

Really not the most exciting evening, no security, no nosy neighbors, no drama!

Thanks for looking!!

• By Hydro
      Explored with @-Raz- & @Fatpanda after a series of car problems.

History;

Sandsend Tunnel is a tunnel on the former Whitby, Redcar and Middlesbrough Union Railway that was opened in 1883 and closed in 1958. The rail line that ran through it was originally intended to travel along the top of the cliffs, however some of the cliff fell into the sea whilst construction was suspended so the NER constructed two tunnels, the Sandsend tunnel and the Kettleness tunnel.

The Sandsend Tunnel is the longer of two tunnels being 1,652 yards in length. It is predominantly straight but the north-western 300 yards incorporate a curve to the north.
      There are a total of five air shafts, two of which have nearby service galleries leading off horizontally to the cliffs which were used to dump spoil while carving out the tunnels, the air shafts were capped in 1958. The southern half of the tunnel is considerably damp with the tunnel being flooded to about 6 inches on the southern 300 yards. The southern portal of the Sandsend tunnel is bricked up and it can only be accessed via the northern portal of the Kettleness tunnel by walking through the Kettleness tunnel and the area between the tunnels which is overgrown with grass and trees. The northern portal of the Sandsend tunnel partially collapsed in 2008 after years of pressure from the cliff above.

"It is not recommended to access the tunnels due to their poor condition; they have not been maintained since they were abandoned in 1958." - Both tunnels were in pretty good condition other than the odd bow in the wall from the pressure of the cliff above, which just goes to show how strong old school engineering really is

Walking the lines;

Parking in the hamlet of Kettleness we walked over the cliff tops to where we assumed the portal for the first tunnel was, crossing the farmers field wondering how secure it would be. On arrival however, it transpired that the NY council are a lot more laid back about railway tunnels then WY as instead of the normal palisade fortress, we found just a brick wall with a door sized hole in it.

The tunnels itself was rather interesting as far as railway tunnels go, each featuring a mine adit filled with horrible orange, knee deep disgusting muddy water. Did i mention it wasnt very nice? Myself and @Fatpanda had left @-Raz- further up the tunnel so we went for a mooch down one of these. I would say it was about 100m from tunnel entrance to adit entrance, but 20 mins and up to the very limits of our wellies, i misplaced my foot whilst feeling for the next board and went in up to my lower thigh, which of course meant my welly filled to the brim. YUM!

Rest of the photos;

Tunnels;

Mine Adits;

Thanks for looking

• By wellingtonian
      Longbridge Tunnels
      Visited during an interesting nights exploring in Brum with Lenston.
      Here's some history shamelessly lifted from from his excellent report:
      Here's the iconic shot of ladies building the engines during the war

And on with some shonky pics.

Lenston doing what he does best

Some sections had been painted and were really well preserved

That bin......

Thanks for looking
    • By Lenston

Visited with Wellingtonian.
      Done a good few times before but a good mooch for an hour or 2.
      Some History
      The ‘Shadow Factory Tunnels’ are the remnants of Lord Austin’s secret plans that were hatched to bolster British military might in the face of German military aggression in the arms race that led up to the start of the Second World War.
      This was where munitions workers produced the Merlin engines that powered the Spitfires and Hawker Hurricanes used to regain control of the British skies during the Battle of Britain in 1940.
      The Shadow Scheme involved two parts - building nine new factories and extending existing factories - including the Longbridge plant.
      Australian-born industrialist and Conservative MP, Lord Austin - also the founder of Austin Motors - had already contributed to the war effort in the First World War, turning his factories to munitions and engine production.
      After the war, the factory returned to producing automobiles and the tunnels were abandoned.
      By the late 1960s, the Longbridge plant was the second largest car plant in the world.
      But since the collapse of MG Rover, part of the site was redeveloped for housing and commercial purposes

Thanks for looking

• By The_Raw
      I had my first look around some Victorian drains this week. Massive thanks to Adders for taking me, extreme_ironing, and a friend visiting from Germany to see these epic bits of infrastructure. I probably wouldn't have ventured down without his expertise and knowledge to be honest. I've also used his and Ojay's previous comprehensive reports as a reference for some factual information so cheers lads. Oh yeah, and thanks to everyone that came along for helping me light the place as my torch batteries were dead, I really need to learn from this as it's not the first time I've found myself underground trying to use my iPhone as a torch! Not Pro.
      These were the cleaner bits of the network, manageable in just wellies although 'clean' probably isn't the best description. Having said that I was expecting the smell to be far worse than it was but it didnt bother me one little bit whilst down there. We visited 3 separate sections in one evening and saw some epic bits, it's amazing that these old tunnels have survived so long, are still being used today and for the foreseeable future. An amazing feat in engineering and construction.

Lucky Charms, officially known as Clapham storm relief, serves the Southern High Level No.1/Putney & Clapham extension & Balham Sewers. It was designed towards the end of the 19th century (approximately 1870s at a guess) by Joseph Bazalgette, the chief engineer of London's Metropolitan Board of Works. His major achievement was the creation (in response to the Great Stink of 1858) of a sewer network for central London which was instrumental in relieving the city from cholera epidemics, while beginning the cleansing of the River Thames.

An old worker's cart left behind since construction took place

Epic Engineering

South West Storm Relief, up to the River Effra. Part of the same network as Lucky Charms but further along

There were some nasty pieces of shit in the River Effra, and I'm not just referring to Adders

Our German friend with camera equipment way too expensive for places like this

I told Roxanne she didn't have to put on the red light but she insisted

River Fleet Outfall Chamber, which deals with flows from the storm relief and the Fleet Mainline when at capacity. The Fleet storm relief was built in 1875 in order to give extra capacity to the Fleet Sewer

The Fleet Mainline, it was seriously hot and steamy in here for all the wrong reasons. This was the only pic that came out ok for that reason.

Abandoned machinery left to rust

Penstock mechanism for the chamber below that feeds into the Low Level 1 interceptor. These allow works to shutdown the flow to certain places using the giant flaps pictured below.

Apparently if you fell down here you would end up at Abbey Mills pumping station (albeit dead and smelling of shit).

The outfall chamber, this fills up with Thames sludge as the Fleet is tidal. A mix of sewage, mud, silt and whatever else, probably best not to know in fact.

Luckily it was only ankle deep when we were inside but it can rise up as high as the gantry in front of these flaps when at high tide.

These giant 4 flaps control the flow into the main outfall chamber, must've been a pretty amazing feat to get these lumps down here back in the day

Two small flaps behind here control the flow from the Fleet Storm Relief rejoining the Combined Sewer Overflow

These make the most amazing boom when you lift them and let them clang

Thanks for looking

Disclaimer

Oblivion State exists as an online forum to allow like minded individuals to share their experiences of Urban Exploration. We do not condone breaking and entering or other criminal activity and advise all members to read the FAQ articles about the forum and urban exploring in general. All posts are the responsibility of the original poster and all images remain copyright to the original photographer.

We would just like to thank

Forum user AndyK! from Behind Closed Doors for our rather excellent new logo.

All of our fantastic team of Moderators who volunteer their time to keep this place running smoothly.

All of our members for continuing to support Oblivion State by posting up the most awesome content. Thank you everyone!