Sign in to follow this  
Wevsky

Oil mills upper & Lower 14th 10/2010

Your only as old as you feel Wevsky. If it makes you feel better, you not as old as my folks.

thanks swamp_donkey you saythe right things..40 isnt old,its just half me 'sploring mates parents are younger tha n me..still age holds no boundrys just means some of us are rounder in the middle area?!!

Awesome pics as usual Gents, as for the age issue, Its just a state of mind I find personally youre just as old as you feel or is it the woman you feel :lol: ,If you guys are going back I would be very privileged to join you.

:cool2:

Awesome pics as usual Gents, as for the age issue, Its just a state of mind I find personally youre just as old as you feel or is it the woman you feel :lol: ,If you guys are going back I would be very privileged to join you.

:cool2:

well uncle b forgot camera..so it is going to happen..will as ever have to work out when got a few things for our night out next week planned

........more random light painting from The Upper'n Lower Oil Mills

5128938908_e6639dcff5.jpg

2 even found a Orb floating about too

5128341139_30d044bd49.jpg

5128952926_f174f30a10.jpg

5128352825_6c5c7537a6.jpg

5 Fat Wreck

5128358147_88fcc49a19.jpg

5128980608_c62638e013.jpg

7 blimey, a Orb & a Vortex

5128933642_a519f58f94.jpg

5128988508_006cd659d0.jpg

9 and just as we were leaving a green Orb came out to see wot we were doing

5128390531_3a025cde96.jpg

:Devil:

......na afraid not, we had to leave, spent far too long in The Upper Mills :Devil:

i havnt as yet climbed the ,any walls..been told theres a few odds and sods past theones on the stairs.also the way you go in theres a crawl space just to the left that leads into it at a different point and near the live area was another place to crawl we just didnt get round to it ,,memate left his battery at home!!

Yes I remember that, loads of crawling around. Been meaning to go back and enter a few more holes :D

Every one loves a hole matey!

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By MrObvious
      Thought i'd keep these 2 in the same report because they were part of the same company. 

History

Mills... 

Tonedale Mills, including Tone Mills, was a large wool factory in Wellington, Somerset that was the largest woollen mill in South West England. Owned by Fox Brothers, it was most famous for the production of “Taunton serge”, and later the khaki dye used by the British Army. The mill was established in the middle of the eighteenth century, and thrived during the industrial revolution. At its peak, around 6,500 metres of material was produced at the factory each day. The cheap cost of producing fabric in third-world countries contributed to the factory mostly closing during the 1980s.

Dye Works...
      Due to the acquisition of the old flour mills this became the cloth finishing works. Sitting on the banks of the River Tone, the mills originally used water wheels on the river for power generation, the housing for which are still in place. Later with the introduction of steam and then electric power, the water was used as part of the cloth finishing process, and was managed more carefully with the introduction of a reservoir and sluice gates. Within the reservoir, the water was treated before its use. The finishing works and dye factory were both on this site. The former had a boiler house attached, while the latter had an engine house added.

Explores 
      Explored the first time with @TheVampiricSquid & @Biebs
      After arriving at the mills, we'd struggled to find a way in without alerting the neighbours, so we thought we'd try the dye works while waiting for some more info on easier access.
      when we arrived at the dye works, access was fairly simple, unaware of where access into the main bit, i'd managed to piss on it lmao, luckily there was shit loads of tarp laying around...
      When we finished up at the dye works, we headed back to the mills with a better route to take. This place was massive, and was slowly being taken over by nature!
      after spending a little while in there, we'd bumped into a couple of chavs who thought we were there ghost hunting... Then they started to trash the place, so we made a swift exit. 
      During the first visit i was told about the boiler rooms... but we had to skip it incase the police turned up. 

so i headed back there a couple days later with @CuriousityKilledTheCat
      we'd gone back to the dye works so she could grab some shots in there, then up to the mills.... after a short look around, we'd soon discovered the boiler rooms, was definitely worth the revisit!  

Shout out to M.S for the info!  

Enjoy  

Mills

Dye Works 

Cheers for looking!
    • By Andy
      Unfortunately, I don't know any history.
      By the way, all photos were only taken from the outside, through the bars of the windows. Therefore, no access was possible - or if, only by a deep cellar window. But even that wasn't possible because of local residents. So I only took a few photos from the outside and then we drove on.

• By Funlester
      I got invited to this visit of someone I got chatting to on FB and was a nice place to look round to see how it it and what they are trying to turn it in to.
      HISTORY -
      Brierfield Mills stands on the east bank of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal. It was established before 1844 as a steam-powered cotton mill but the buildings shown on the 1844 map, evidently a spinning mill and a weaving shed, were demolished when the site was rebuilt and substantially extended between 1868 and 1907. These new buildings survive and comprise a multi-storey spinning mill dated 1868 parallel to but set slightly back from the canal, an attached two-storey building, three weaving sheds, two freestanding east of the spinning mill and terraced into the valley side, and both of pre-1891 date, and one south of the spinning mill dated 1907, and offices. The buildings are all of squared stone rubble and steam powered. The 1968 spinning mill is four storeys high, 39 bays long, with a central engine and boiler house; it is of fireproof construction. The two weaving sheds to its east are single storeyed, the sheds with three-storeyed warehouse and yarn preparation blocks at their downhill ends. The south-east shed incorporates a stair tower surmounted by a later clock tower and is built up to a two storey range with a warehouse block formerly linked to the railway and a later Italianate office block. The south-east shed of 1907 is single-storeyed with its own corner engine house. The buildings survive in good condition although one of the weaving sheds is now just a facade with a modern interior. Listed.

• By Stussy

Another derp installement from my ventures North.
      History (stolen from Secret Scotland)
      Inchindown fuel depot lies in the hills some four miles north of Invergordon, and was constructed in the period 1939-1942, during World War II, as a bombproof fuel oil store for the Royal Navy, and was connected by pipeline to the Royal Navy dockyard, fuel depot, and port facility at Invergordon. The depot was also referred to as Inchindoun, and the Inchindown Admiralty Underground Storage Depot.
      Reports indicate that five such stores were constructed around the country at the time: Inchindown, Copenacre, Hartham Park, Monk's Park and Portsdown. Had the German Navy blockaded Britain's ports, these depots would have been called on to provide fuel for the Royal Navy.
      The depots stored Furnace Fuel Oil (FFO): Medium viscosity, boiler NATO Code No: F-82; Joint Service Designation: 75/50 FFO. FFO is basically the residue left behind after the fractional distillation of crude oil, and resembles treacle when at room temperature. Phased out by the Royal Navy in favour of diesel fuel in the late 1970s, it was last used by Leander class frigates, Falklands veteran aircraft carrier HMS Hermes, and the Royal Yacht Britannia.
      The depot contains six storage cells, five being 237 metres long and 9 metres tall/wide (roughly 800 feet long and 30 feet tall/wide), holding up to 5.6 million gallons, and a smaller sixth tank, 170 metres long. The first tank carries a plaque commemorating the date February MCMXLI (1941). The access tunnels are a mixture of lined (from the portals), and unlined construction at the rear of the cells, where the access panels are located.
      The Explore
      These storage tanks are normally sealed and only permission visits are allowed, we chanced our luck and nipped in past as we were in the area, luckily the door was unlocked!
      After some initial hesitations I went for the access into the tanks, I am a fat small bastard, so i laid down on the stretcher and was pushed through the pipe. shoulders scrapped sides it was mega tight, but I was in! Sadly I only had my trusty P7.2 with me so the shots didn't come out well enough to post them all, abut another visit with better lighting options will happen!

Thats all there is really, thanks for looking.

Disclaimer

Oblivion State exists as an online forum to allow like minded individuals to share their experiences of Urban Exploration. We do not condone breaking and entering or other criminal activity and advise all members to read the FAQ articles about the forum and urban exploring in general. All posts are the responsibility of the original poster and all images remain copyright to the original photographer.

We would just like to thank

Forum user AndyK! from Behind Closed Doors for our rather excellent new logo.

All of our fantastic team of Moderators who volunteer their time to keep this place running smoothly.

All of our members for continuing to support Oblivion State by posting up the most awesome content. Thank you everyone!