Sign in to follow this  
fat wreck

Soldiers' Home Caves 14/10/10

These are at the Eastern end of The Snargate Street Tunnels, the Tunnel leads to the west (Croucher's Tunnels) passing a vent shaft and kiln, and to the east (Cowgate Tunnel) The Cowgate section was hit & almost destroyed by a shell in WW2 killing a Mrs Patience Ransley, it is called Soldiers' Home Caves because its located behind the old Soliders' Home......

5083834420_f7a8b46a73.jpg

2 looking up towards the kiln

5083242983_9d72f93d8d.jpg

3 looking back down

5083841564_df482d2106.jpg

4 main section

5083250249_2c44f57d0c.jpg

5 Fat Wreck having a wee rest

5083253665_365d7ab784.jpg

6 looking back down the main section

5083856242_af43624660.jpg

7 Cowgate section

5083863448_ebb80e5e44.jpg

8 a bit further in

5083264491_170334f292.jpg

8 and some Orbs that have been floating about since the War

5085759613_3b386da67b.jpg

5086364986_934a8a8841.jpg

5086361626_8bed161cd9.jpg

11 two Orbs!!! they must have been happy to have some company after all those years alone in the dark

5085771995_205e653f57.jpg

thanks for looking :Devil:

I do like these tunnels..on the list if i ever get round to going to dover during the day!..your orb pic comments are a riot.good pics mate! :lol:

there are no alarms in this tunnel system!

Not heard it called that before. When JV did it years ago it was posted as cowgate tunnel, historex tunnels and kiln.

Saw it friday night with maniac before seeing the various reports you guys have posted. I must admit you were quick off the mark with this one :thumb

there are no alarms in this tunnel system!

Not heard it called that before. When JV did it years ago it was posted as cowgate tunnel, historex tunnels and kiln.

Saw it friday night with maniac before seeing the various reports you guys have posted. I must admit you were quick off the mark with this one :thumb

Ah u see ive gotit written down as old soldiers home from my research into them ,the sections have various names for each one obs depending onthe propertys name historixs being the more recent,old soldiers home was a long time ago

WOW with orbs that size, you'll have every ghost hunter in europe wanting to spend the night there. lol

Nice set of photos Fat Wreck. I'll stick mine up in a minute. :)

WOW with orbs that size, you'll have every ghost hunter in europe wanting to spend the night there. lol

Nice set of photos Fat Wreck. I'll stick mine up in a minute. :)

i must have a go at these orbs sometime..wire wool id set fire to meself i think ;)

Oldie68 and I went there after we met you at Esplanade. It was our original plan until we heard that Esplanade was open so it ended up being plan B.

Nice one :thumb

Desertion and me found it accidently on the way back from a trip to Dunguness. "oh look building site and interesting looking holes in the cliff." cue pulling over and inpromptue explore. It was only when we were back at mine we discovered it was the very same place that Oldie had posted on 28dl Friday night. :lol:

That building site was where the Gateway Hovertel once stood. The tunnel entrance was bricked-up back then (cople of weeks ago). The demolition gang must have been curious and smashed down the blocked doorway after they'd destroyed the hotel... You win some, you lose some! :D

That's what it was, I was trying to remember what once stood there. I knew I remembered that dodgey staircase from somewhere, that's the way we went into the place when we looked round it.

There's a couple of reports knocking around on here, and oldie has posted it recently on 28dl.

The first report if memory serves me correctly is from Superwide in Mar 2009

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=756&p=6192

Mike.

thabk you mike with the memory that would be the one..:)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Space Invader
      Found this place a ltttle disappointing to start with many of the rooms were plain white wash shells but then i found the staircase. Which made up for what the rest of the place lacked right on with the pics ...
      a little history...
      Thanet Place was a large mansion with gardens overlooking the sea, previously owned by the “Beef Baron�, Sir Edmund Vesty, which was 400 yards away from the old home. This catered for 24 residential & 20 day care children. All the suitable furniture & fittings were bought to the new house, even the memorial clock which ticked away for many years in the entrance hall of the old St Marys, was given pride of place in the new entrance hall. Though considerably smaller the new premises even had its own chapel.
      in 1982 Kent County Council withdrew its financial support for the Home claiming that at £1,600 per week it was too expensive to use, & refused to send anymore children there. A massive protest campaign to save St Marys from closure was backed by the Archbishop & Dean of Canterbury, the Bishops of Maidstone & Dover, plus social workers & head teachers, all supported by a petition of 4,000 signatures. Even the Queen Mother expressed sympathy in a letter, but St Marys finally closed in 1983, & downsized once again, and the house was made into an old peoples home ...

thanks for looking
    • By Wevsky
      A revisit was in order with Obscurity,Fortknox0 and frosty and this time Space Invader joined us for a look around
      This is looking back along the Arp (tower hamlets tunnel) just before lagoon caves

Section leading to the tower hamlets tunnel from the lagoon caves

Now a few from in lagoon caves

Toilet block at the end of the caves

Back into the main tunnel looking towards the bricked wall just before the builders rubbish blockage

Another toilet block in beaufoy’s caves

Looking down just after the long crawl over broken shower doors and rotten wood

Now sealed passage into the workshop area beyond this was obviously still in use

That was that nice to visit the place again!!
    • By Wevsky
      I just came across these pictures which where taken as the title suggests quite some time back,so there's my excuse for poor quality of photographs right there as back then i was lazy and didn't take my time setting shots up or lighting them.
      This was a flying visit to the section right next door called soldiers home caves,while we where there an opportunity presented it self and it would be rude not to go through into the other 2 sections and have a poke around.I'm hoping I'm posting the correct pics under the sections named as i say was a fair long while back and pics have been jumbled up a bit so ill do my best from memory to get them in the right order
      This was visited with myself,Maniac,Obscurity,Frosty, and non member Teebs....History borrowed from subterranean history
      first section..
      Croucher's Tunnels, Dover
      These tunnels are known as 'Croucher's Tunnels' after the Croucher & Co Shipwrights, who operated from premises in front of the tunnels in the 1960s & 70s, and used the tunnels as a store. Prior to this they seem to have been known as 'Bushell's Caves', presumably after Bushell & Co. who previously occupied the site. The tunnels themselves form the centre section of a series of tunnels in Dover's Snargate Street. The three sets of tunnels from West to East are the Court's Wine Vaults (Barwicks Caves), Croucher's Tunnels and Soldiers' Home Caves. They were all linked during WW2 to create a large Air Raid Shelter, but since the war have reverted to different private ownerships. This section takes the form of three parallel tunnels dug into the cliff at an angle, which are interconnected at the far end. They are still used to this day as a storage area.

Onto the next section....
      Courts' Wine Vaults, Dover
      These tunnels were excavated by Dover wine merchant Stephen Court at the beginning of the 19th Century. They were dug into cliffs at the rear of the Courts' premises in Snargate Street, and along with terraced gardens and a folly shaped like Dover Castle on the cliff face, were a tourist attraction in their day. Wines were even made from the grapes and exotic fruits growing on the cliff terraces, and were stored in the vaults below. The tunnels are lined throughout and have alcoves in the walls, which presumably held the racks for wine bottles. The Courts' premises was demolished during or just before the Second World War, and the tunnels were linked to others further along the street to form a large air raid shelter (graffiti still remains in the tunnels from this time). After the war local building firm R.J Barwick moved onto the site and the caves have been known as 'Barwick's Caves' ever since.
      a few pics from inside..again sorry about quality ..

Was a very unexpected visit and due to pics not being great i had almost forgotten about actually posting.. i realise also i missed so many nice bits of graffiti ,but was a surprise visit and didn't have a huge amount of time in there due to earlier explores
    • By silverainbow
      Visited with Space Invader, Wevsky & Swamp Donkey
      A bit of History borrowed from "Sub Brit"
      This is the Eastern end of a large tunnel complex in Snargate Street, which began as separate tunnels but were linked during WW2 for use as air raid shelters. The main part of this section is the 900ft long Cowgate Tunnel which connected Snargate Street with Durham Hill. Unfortunately, this tunnel was penetrated by a shell during WW2 which resulted in the death of 63-year old Mrs. Patience Ransley, who was sheltering inside at the time. The tunnel is blocked at the point of the shell penetration, which occured within the grounds of Cowgate Cemetery on the surface. It is however possible to go much further than the blockage shown on the plan below, but conditions are poor due to roof falls and rotten timber props. Due to revelopment of the Durham Hill area, the entrance at that end seems to have vanished. The passage going West from the main entrance tunnel passes a vent shaft and kiln, and was originally known as 'Soldiers' Home Caves', due to them being behind the old Soliders' Home. The passage continues to a metal gate which blocks access to the next set of tunnels, which are known as 'Croucher's Tunnels'.
      On with some pics

Getting over the collapsed section was a bit of an experience to say the least and obviously couldnt go any further once we got to the part of the tunnel damaged by the bomb in WWII, still worth a look though, wish I had taken some pics of the lime kiln but theres always next time !