Sign in to follow this  

South Lodge - Briggens House Hotel - Jan 2011

A magnificent symmetrical pair of Grade II listed gate lodges located at the South gate of the Briggens House Hotel in Roydon

The hotel itself is undergoing a refurb and is currently occupied by the caretaker

Description on the British Listed Buildings website is thus...

Gates and a pair of gatelodges 'HCG 1914' on approach bridge parapet. Plum brick with red brick dressings, steep Coniston slate roofs, carved limestone urns to gatepiers, wrought iron gates. A formal classical symmetrical arrangement approached by a converging parapetted bridge from Essex across a stream. Deep moulded brick capping and plum brick with short square piers to parapet wall, opening into small rectangular forecourt. Heavy wrought iron double gates with scrolled tops between tall brick

piers with urn finials. Tall 1-storey and attics gate lodge on each side with steep hipped roofs, square central chimney and flat topped dormer with moulded cornice on each side. 2 flush box sash windows with 6/6 panes, each set in round arched panel with keystone. Moulded wooden eaves cornice. Parapeted flat

roofed open porch links each lodge to a gatepier and each has an ornamental wrought iron gate in a round arched opening with stone imposts and keystone. Circular opening with scrolled grill on canted face next gate. Matching brick extensions at rear of each lodge. The entrance frames a view of Briggens House along the avenue.

]When you get to the other side of those magnificent gates, the driveway goes on forever

]I went to have a look at the North Gate Lodge, but this is obscured by scaffolding, it did have a couple of interesting features though

There is also some sort of tower in the grounds, but I was getting too many strange looks from the golfers to explore it.

Thanks for looking

Interesting find, and that tower looks quite interesting, can't work out if it's a converted water tower or if it's been purpose built like that. Know any more about it??

I will have to look into that tower, it is quite interesting, the scaffold only held a canopy over the roof, it was a single story cottage.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Hooismans
      This is my first video of this 60s hotel located somewhere in Italy.
      I hope you liked the video!
    • By GREGUL1979
      Everything left as if the hotel's owners left it with the thought that they will come back in a moment. Or maybe the contrary, with the thought that they can not go back there anymore. We know that they did not come back. We do not know why. At the bottom, aprons, cups, the inscription "Welcome wedding guests". Upstairs furniture, appliances, personal items, books. Everything is abandoned, not packed, segregated, as in the planned move. No. Abandoned and destroyed. Scattered. Maybe by a vandal who accidentally got there and could not respect the place and things that belonged to someone. Or maybe by someone who did it with the deliberation that was looking for something.

• By The Urban Collective
      Taxal Lodge - Photographic Report - 2018

#TaxelLodge Photographic Report - 11th March 2018 Built-in 1904 Taxal Lodge was once the home of Lt. Col. H. Ramsden Jodrell, Who passed away in 1950.
      The home became a Special School, for disruptive and emotionally disturbed kids that lived on site 5 days a week. It replaced an older Taxal Lodge that originally stood further up the valley. 

Over the years there have been various reports of abuse within the school and a lot of visitors and students claim that the lodge is haunted. 
      Once the plug was pulled by the authorities the school was closed in 2005. Since its closure, the lodge fell victim to vandals & arson.

Now other nature has now begun to stake her claim... 

The Urban Collective 
      We Film It...

• By oldskool
      Ok the ice house opened 1900 closed 1990 ......NO ONE TOLD ME ABOUT THE DOME CAMERA .........

Thanks for looking Oldsk@@l..........
    • By a World in Ruins
      First post on here guys so hope it works!
      Tipped off by a friend Matt about this house I decided to go one cold winter morning to see it for myself on a solo run. Entry into the house a tricky assault course through the overgrown garden which hasn't been tended to for decades by the look of it. 
      A very peculiar house this in that its location is in a sleepy little village of pure chocolate box quintessential Englishness. A more  desirable a place to live would be hard to find to get away form the chaos of city life. Clean air and peaceful surroundings, the parish church all capture the imagination yet this house contradicts everything around it.
      Somewhat derelict with overgrown gardens, a rusty old iron gate with a disappearing path leading up to the house don't fit in to its surroundings. What the local residents make of it I'd love to know. Why it has been left to fall into such a bad state is anyone's guess. I would imagine the house itself is worth a lot of money having 4 bedrooms and a lot of land regardless of the location which I'd imagine to be quite expensive to live in. Doesn't anyone own the house and if so why have they just left it for so long to fall into disrepair? It's not really secured either so it doesn't seem like anyone ever goes to the house to check on it. Very strange.
      From the decor and the possessions still left inside I'd date it becoming abandoned around the mid 1980s. Piles and piles of newspapers - mainly The Daily Mail & The Telegraph - clutter each room. Using a tripod proved tricky as the floors were covered in stacks of old newspapers. The most recent date I could find without checking all the hundreds left around was 1984. Maybe one of the former residents was a hoarder of newspapers? In the entire house there were literally thousands left behind no room escaped their occupancy.
      There were few clues as to who lived here, just names on envelopes which obviously won't be revealed. What their occupations were I have no idea. Downstairs were two reception rooms littered with vintage possessions including several televisions a typewriter a Bakelite rotary telephone amongst other things. The most interesting items were the framed portraits of children. Who were they and where are they now? Piles of old photographs and personal documents were left behind on the writing/study desk seemingly unwanted by anyone. 
      A double split staircase leads to the upstairs bedrooms. Two were empty so weren't photographed, the other two still had everything left behind including clothes and yet more newspapers. 
      I always think that every abandoned home must have an owner somewhere. It seems this one - despite its obvious appeal to potential buyers - seems to be truly abandoned with no one left to have any interest in it. 
      Enjoy the images