Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
he who must rome

St. Martin's Belfry 2011

Recommended Posts

A few days ago I had the pleasure of talking to Mr Anthony Empson who works at St. Martin's Church, after a short discussion of what my friend and I did for a hobby we were permitted to come back to take a photo shoot within the Belfry in all its elegance dating back to the era of 1831-2 when the church was first built.

The church had seating for a congregation of 1100 people, Back before this date in 1818 an act of parliament was passed where £1.000.000 was granted to the established Church to build more Churches within England, 30 of these were to be built within the West Riding of Yorkshire and so St Martin's was given a grant for £3600 and built at a cost of £3.514 which was a very large amount of money back in that era. The Church was Consecrated in the year of 1831-2 by the Archbishop of York this was due to the Parish was in the Diocese of York and just 5 years later it became part of the Diocese of Ripon, and in 1888 finally the Church came under the Diocese of Wakefield.

For 12 years there was a Curate-in-Charge and it was not until 1843, when the church was separated from Rastrick and the Revd. Joseph Birch was named as first Vicar of Brighouse, that Brighouse became an independent Chapelry and Parish within the ancient Parish of Halifax.

The Revd. Joseph Birch left in 1862 and was succeeded by the Revd. William Booker, who stayed until 1890. In 1870 St James’ Chapel was built as a Chapel of ease to the Parish Church; this was a rare instance of a second consecrated Church within the boundary of the same parish. Hove Edge legally became part of the Parish of Brighouse in 1894 and St Chad’s Mission Church and School were built and opened in May 1895. In 1915 a new church was opened and the former building became St Chad’s School.

Now around the 1890's there was a significant re-ordering of St. Martin's so with the removal of the original pews and re-laying the whole floor, then reducing the side galleries. The chancel was built in 1904 and the church was closed for three months whilst the north and south galleries were removed and the organ transferred from the west end to the chancel.

For the first 100 years of its life St. Martin's was fortunate in having a succession of generous benefactors. In 1925 the Parish Hall and Church House were given by the Sugden family. These were sold in the early 1970s and the former Parish Hall now accommodates a Medical Centre. St James’ Church was closed in the mid 1970s after celebrating its centenary. A residential development known as St. James' Court now stands on the site.

In 1985 discussions were held to form the Team Parish of Brighouse comprising St. Martin's and St. Chad's. Parochial status was granted in 1988. In 1993 St. John's, Clifton joined with St. Chad's and St. Martin's when the Team Parish of Brighouse and Clifton was formed.

In 2002 work began on the most recent re-ordering of St. Martin's involving replacing pews with flexible seating, re-aligning floor levels, repairing plasterwork, installing enhanced lighting and a new heating system and re-decorating. A Community Area was created incorporating reception, kitchen, office and toilets. This area was named the Sugden Suite in memory of the family who had earlier been major benefactors. The work was completed in 2006 during the incumbency of Fr. Michael Wood and the 175th Anniversary of Consecration was celebrated with a service led by the Rt. Revd. Stephen Platten, Bishop of Wakefield.

Brighouse Parish Church has been a training ground for several clergy who have subsequently held high office, such as Bishop, Archdeacon, Provost, in the Church of England. That tradition continues with Curates and Students in training today.

The year 2011 saw further changes with St. Martin's, Brighouse, St. John's, Clifton and St. Chad's, Hove Edge each reverting to independent parish status. St. Martin's, Brighouse and St, John's, Clifton now constitute the United Benefice of Brighouse and Clifton under the leadership of the Revd. Dr. Stephen Spencer.

There are two Church Aided schools in the Parish. The former St. Martin’s School is now an Adult Learning Centre, the former Parish Hall houses a Medical Practice and a former Vicarage is now a Care Home.

The wooden structure is in excellent condition to say the least for its age with 8 magnificent bells hung in 2 levels all parts of the bell was examined (the frame, the headstock, the wheel and garter hole, clapper, sound bowl "lip of the bell", gudgeon, bearings although not original brasses these have been replaced by roller bearings which have to be greased, stay and slider) all again in perfect order.

Some of the bells are original and others are re-cast, I examined each bell for its makers information and all important date of manufacture which are as follows.

Treble----------Taylor of Loughborough----------Hung in 1875 and re-cast in 1913

2nd-------------Taylor of Loughborough----------Hung in 1875 and re-cast in 1913

3rd-------------Taylor of Loughborough----------Hung in 1875 and re-cast in 1913

4th-------------Mears and Stainbank of London--Hung in 1875

Presented by R Kershaw, Silk Spinner of Brighouse.

5th-------------Mears and Stainbank of London--Hung in 1875

Presented by R Kershaw, Silk Spinner of Brighouse.

6th-------------Mears and Stainbank of London--Hung in 1875

Presented by R Kershaw, Silk Spinner of Brighouse.

7th-------------C & G Mears of London 1845 ---Hung in 1875

Tenor----------Mears and Stainbank of London--Hung in 1875

Presented by Benjamin Noble, Silk Spinner of Brighouse.

P2116707.jpg

P2116650.jpg

when you have to go...

YOU HAVE TO GO !!!!!

P2116701.jpg

P2116696.jpgP2116694.jpg

P2116651.jpg

P2116652.jpg

P2116665.jpg

P2116664.jpg

P2116679.jpg

P2116670.jpg

P2116671.jpg

P2116680.jpg

P2116683.jpg

P2116687.jpg

Up on the roof...

P2116656.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Similar Content

    • By degenerate
      This six storey mill was built in the late 1800s and is approximately 5,236m2 (56,371ft2). It's had several uses over the years, former tenants include Carding Specialists (now known as Crosrol Ltd) who were one of the world's major manufacturers and exporters of carding machinery and Turner's bar-fitters and joiners who occupied the mill in the 80s.
      The Plebeians Halifax Jazz Club rented a room here in 1961. In the early 1980s the weaving sheds were demolished to make way for a B&Q store, the chimney has also been truncated.
      In 2006, planning permission was given to convert the mill into apartments but also preliminary discussions with the planning department at Calderdale Council have established there may be scope for demolition of the property.
      IMG_1109 by degenerate, on Flickr
      DSC01161 by degenerate, on Flickr
      DSC01164 by degenerate, on Flickr
      Quite a few of the floors have been stripped making it fairly dangerous.
      DSC01208 by degenerate, on Flickr
      DSC01217 by degenerate, on Flickr
      DSC01116 by degenerate, on Flickr
      DSC01120 by degenerate, on Flickr
      DSC01154 by degenerate, on Flickr
      DSC01143 by degenerate, on Flickr
      DSC01090 by degenerate, on Flickr
      DSC01081 by degenerate, on Flickr
      DSC01138 by degenerate, on Flickr
      The ladder to the tower.
      DSC01137 by degenerate, on Flickr
      DSC01242 by degenerate, on Flickr
      DSC01245 by degenerate, on Flickr
      And finally the view from the sixth floor:
      DSC01082 by degenerate, on Flickr
      Thanks for looking.

Disclaimer

Oblivion State exists as an online forum to allow like minded individuals to share their experiences of Urban Exploration. We do not condone breaking and entering or other criminal activity and advise all members to read the FAQ articles about the forum and urban exploring in general. All posts are the responsibility of the original poster and all images remain copyright to the original photographer.

We would just like to thank

Forum user AndyK! from Behind Closed Doors for our rather excellent new logo.

All of our fantastic team of Moderators who volunteer their time to keep this place running smoothly.

All of our members for continuing to support Oblivion State by posting up the most awesome content. Thank you everyone!
×