Sign in to follow this  
he who must rome

A big un for ya quarry lovers 2011

Sunday saw a trip into this reet nice quarry, we even bumped into the security guard who to be hones didn't give a monkeys as long as we didn't disturb his sleep lol.....

IMG_2344.jpg

IMG_2345.jpg

IMG_2341.jpg

IMG_2327.jpg

IMG_2332.jpg

IMG_2331.jpg

IMG_2330.jpg

IMG_2333.jpg

IMG_2334.jpg

IMG_2335.jpg

IMG_2336.jpg

IMG_2337.jpg

IMG_2338.jpg

IMG_2339.jpg

this place was really huuuueeeegggggeeeeee !!!!!

IMG_2342.jpg

I like that :cool2: What do you reckon the adit leads to?

adit.....ADIT !!!!! I C no adit !!!! am I blind ???????....there is a conveyor coming out of a man made hole.......but where is the adit !!!!! hell I need my caving gear ready.......

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By TheBaronof Scotland
      visited with Scattergun and a very fine splore, considering we got boarded in whilst inside (twitchy arse moment)
      3rd visit to finally find the craddle room !! eluded me previously
      anyways on with the pics

finally the elusive room

cheers for looking
    • By TheBaronof Scotland
      first day of our trip for Euro Explore
      really interesting place

Cheers
      THE BARON
    • By Gromr123
      History
      Oxted Quarry is a site owned by Southern Gravel Ltd (SGL). Those who drive the southern part of the M25 often might have seen it as its quite visible about mile west of the Clacket Lane services. 
      The site has been operating from as early as the 1940s and finally came to a close in 2012 when locals complained about the HGV traffic.

Pressure from the locals start in around 2007 when the traffic from the site increased due to increasing numbers of operations on the site. SGL in a what was deemed as somewhat of a panic response closed the site with the aim to convert the area into housing.
      In November 2014 the council refused the application to build housing and the site has been left derelict ever since. 
      Personally, the road going up to the quarry is tiny, winding and very steep and is totally unsuitable to deal with any level of increased residential traffic, let alone HGV traffic. I am hardly surprised at the local residents skepticism to the plans.  
      The Explore
      Me and a friend went to visit here late in the afternoon a couple hours before sunset. To be honest it was a bit of a rush job and I could have happily spent another hour or so there.
      First I sent the drone over for a bit of recon and it seemed empty, so in we went.
      It would be entirely possible to walk in the entrance as it wasn't gated, however to play it safe I found a more desecrate way in. Aside from a bit of barbed wire, no issues here. 
      For a site that has been abandoned for only a few years, its really not in a good state. There was some interesting things going on there as well as some rather odd finds.
      Unfortunately there was some lights and signs of some kind of activity on the lower portion of the quarry towards the entrance, so I didn't get to see as much of it as I wanted. A re-visit at some point might be in order. 

Aerial Shots

The Quarry

Under the Lean-to there were boxes of helicopter rotors as well as what appeared to be gearboxes. 
      If anyone can enlighten me what they are doing here, I'd be curious to know.
      The building behind seemed pretty sealed up, no idea what was inside it.

Thanks for reading!
    • By MrObvious
      History 

This site was originally the home of the largest employer in the area, but now after 20 years, the majority of its towering structures are now empty.
      There has been a limestone quarry on this site since 1851, which in conjunction with the nearby Shoreham and Steyning Railway, brought about a large amount of rail based traffic to and from the site. However, the railway was closed to passenger traffic on 7th March 1966.
      The site has been acquired in recent years by Dudman Aggregates and there is now regular activity and security on site.

Visit 
      After hearing about this place so many times, I thought i'd finally arrange a trip there for an early birthday splore and check it out, and hopefully get passed security, after being told by everyone they were on the ball.

@CuriousityKilledTheCat and i decided to go there at midday, big mistake that was, because it was one of the hottest days of the year so far
      when we arrived, it quickly became apparent just how big this place was, i'd checked it out before hand, but none of the photos did the size of the place any justice.
      Drenched in sweat, after trekking for what seemed like miles in the midday sun, we'd finally got to where we needed to be,  unfortunately, there was a lot of activity on site. 
      after doing some recon, we'd found the best route, and went for it, just being missed by a worker sat in his lorry, we'd made it into the main parts. 
      The place was full of corroded metal and had some flooded areas, but it was good to finally get in there and check it out

Big thanks to Curiousity for the successful tour

Images aren't great because i couldn't be arsed with hauling a tripod around in the heat

Thanks For Looking  
    • By SlimJim
      Visited with Conrad + a non member.

Well it's the morning after an alcohol-fueled Saturday night...We've just had about 6 hours sleep after hitting Bristol's shittest club, where Conrad lost his marbles and kept buying us jugs of green cocktail and we all ended up super pickled!  After leaving the guesthouse, settling my malfunctioning gizzard (god bless Morrisons' toilets - curse Fosters, VK and weird cocktails) and getting a fry up, we finally get to the derp albeit feeling a bit fragile...

History wise the quarry dates back to the early 1800s and was the last of it's kind to use ponies. You can still see their tracks in places.

It's a remarkable site in that it's very much public and well trodden, yet very well preserved, with little to no vandalism. How all places should be really, in a perfect world. We'd heard different things from different people regarding size, stability, etc. It does have a dodgy feel to it - melon sized slithers of rock hang from the ceiling by a thread in places and you can see where there's been significant falls in the past. The place is actually really quite big, I think we spent over 4 hours inside before Conrad had to catch his train back t'up North.

In photos, the place looks much the same, so I don't have many of them.

Another entrance. Being us, we took a much more complex route in through a small vertical slit!

With splore buddy Mr.Pb. Conrad was fiddling with his tripod out of view.

Beauty of an old crane, still standing.

Video footage (shows way more than my pictures do): 

Decent bit of underground exploring on the whole! Was nice to get out of the wind and crap West Country weather! Excellent hangover cure too!

Thanks for looking!

Disclaimer

Oblivion State exists as an online forum to allow like minded individuals to share their experiences of Urban Exploration. We do not condone breaking and entering or other criminal activity and advise all members to read the FAQ articles about the forum and urban exploring in general. All posts are the responsibility of the original poster and all images remain copyright to the original photographer.

We would just like to thank

Forum user AndyK! from Behind Closed Doors for our rather excellent new logo.

All of our fantastic team of Moderators who volunteer their time to keep this place running smoothly.

All of our members for continuing to support Oblivion State by posting up the most awesome content. Thank you everyone!