Sign in to follow this  
Wevsky

Eastry Chapel May 2012

Was not going to do a report on this as to be honest it's rather small ,but its always been locked down tight when ive visited the remains of the asylum so when it came to my attention that it was indeed doable with a hour or so to kill before myself and UrbanGinger went elsewhere would be rude not to pop in..

Very brief snippet of info from what used to be the former workhouse/hospital which the chapel served

The former workhouse later became Eastry Hospital, a centre for the care of those with learning disabilities. The hospital has now closed and the site is being redeveloped; the infirmary block has been demolished along with most of the entrance block. The Grade II listed "Old Buildings" remain, along with the chapel

Just a few pics of what it looks like today as like i say it is rather small

1970's pic from inside

Eastry5.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

Nothing epic by far ,but it is local so why not!

Nice pic s remember going here with Nelly climbing through a window only to find the front door was open :lol:

Yeah someone said front door was open..trust me wasnt when i went :)

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By franconiangirl
      The small chapel is idyllically situated on the hillside. Standing at the foot of the hill, the building is almost invisble. Thanks to the season, the knowing eye is able to spot the chapel between the sparse vegetation. Following up the slope for few minutes, a small weather-beaten wall appears. Climibing up the wall, there´s a small, overgrown path to follow.

Inside the chapel it´s silent. Peaceful. The roof is full of holes - traces of the ravages of time. Ivy climbs steadily through the biggest of them. There´s still a large crucifix on the wall. The detailed depiction of Jesus is still in an unbelievable excellent condition. While Jesus looks as good as new, everything around him is decaying relentlessly. 

Unfortunately, I hardly have any information about the chapel. Old commemorative plaques testify that the chapel was probably errected by a local noble family. The building should be far more than 100 years old by now. 

• By TrevBish.co.uk
      A seminary in France that was later used as a medical centre and with a beautiful chapel! I think it closed within the past decade. 

Thanks for looking!
    • By TrevBish.co.uk
      This was the first stop on our weekend tour. It was a long arse drive from the tunnel to say the least! Cost a small fortune in tolls! A beautiful building inside! 
      History:
      The construction of the chapel began mid 1800, This chapel is decorated in triforium (the openings of the galleries, above the aisles of a church, overlooking the nave), which is rare, for it is devoid of side aisles.

Thanks for looking! 
    • By AndyK!
      A nice find by @SpiderMonkey while perusing the many chapels of Wales, this proved to be a surprisingly pleasing bonus for our Weekend...

Capel Salem is an abandoned chapel in Pwllheli, North Wales. Built in 1862, the building was remodelled and enlarged in 1893 and is now Grade II listed. Along with the chapel, there are a couple of vestry rooms and a school room.

The chapel was closed for around two years from 1913 and required extensive renovation following a fire. The fire was started by a local man who had tried to steal money from the chapel. He was unable to find any money so started the blaze instead.

• By AndyK!
      The first of a couple of chapels in Wales I visited with @SpiderMonkey last month...

Engedi Chapel was established in 1842 and built as we see it today in 1867. The chapel's most impressive feature is its grand classical entrance, designed by architect Richard Owen of Liverpool. Its organ, pulpit and pews also remain intact.

Disclaimer

Oblivion State exists as an online forum to allow like minded individuals to share their experiences of Urban Exploration. We do not condone breaking and entering or other criminal activity and advise all members to read the FAQ articles about the forum and urban exploring in general. All posts are the responsibility of the original poster and all images remain copyright to the original photographer.

We would just like to thank

Forum user AndyK! from Behind Closed Doors for our rather excellent new logo.

All of our fantastic team of Moderators who volunteer their time to keep this place running smoothly.

All of our members for continuing to support Oblivion State by posting up the most awesome content. Thank you everyone!