Sign in to follow this  
lanky8804

UK St Augustines Asylum - Chartham - 2013

Hi all, well this is my fist post so im starting with something easy.

Arrived Sunday afternoon with camera in hand. Thought i would be climbing over and under fences but this place is wide open so just strolled in through the front gate :lol:

Place has been graffitied to death but was interesting to look around. I forgot my tripod so will be venturing back at some stage for some more pics.

Some history about the place:

St Augustine’s Hospital (1875–1993) was a psychiatric hospital in Chartham, Kent. It was founded as the second, or East, Kent County Asylum in 1872. In 1948 the hospital became part of the National Health Service and was renamed St Augustine's Hospital. The hospital gained notoriety in the 1970s when it was the subject of a committee of inquiry into malpractice and mismanagement. St Augustine's Hospital closed in 1993 and the site is now occupied by housing, although a few of the original hospital buildings remain.

Now for some pictures:

_DSC7003.jpg

_DSC6999.jpg

_DSC6971.jpg

_DSC7004.jpg

_DSC7047.jpg

_DSC7053.jpg

_DSC7055.jpg

_DSC7050.jpg

_DSC7067.jpg

_DSC7069.jpg

Not much but found the old school building interesting to look around.

What are peoples thoughts on a 50mm 1.8f lens for this kind of photography? Currently using my 18-200mm on my Nikon D5100.

Nice to see the old girl again mate..the spray painters have been even busier than the last report i saw!! :)

50mm is a great bit of glass i have one myself ,theres not much in the way of detail in here to photograph closely..but take it along with you and see what you can find

Good effort, very atmospheric this place, the graffiti so called artists have trashed that wall in the Gym, nice pics keep at it ill look forward to the next instalment !

:D

Nice one. That was one of the very first places I visited waaaaay back in 2007. It looks a lot worse for wear now that's for sure.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Urbex Ninja
      Part of the South Foreland Battery, these gun magazines are probably the most obvious on the site. They would've held ammunition for Number 2 and 3 guns further down. We also tried out Wire Wool for the first time here.

• By Wevsky
      My take on Prison 15H and from what I gather there is going to be a fair few from this place coming to a forum near you Soon!
      Thanks to Phantom Bish and Camera shy for the Intel. Cheers guys.
      Seems we where out the same weekend as Mr Bish but missed him by a day..
      Early morning start and a Euro tunnel trip purely to do this place and then home intime for tea..This is an advantage of living 45 mins from the Euro tunnel, met many euro explorers while in the place and some well kitted up graffers on the way out.,Other than that no problems where had,even the Gypo colony in the car park wasn’t an issue..
      Enough bollox from me and here’s 15 of the 230 odd I took 60% of them I was happy with but no one wants to see a apic heavy report of the place!!
      Explored with Sx-riffraff,Obscurity,Spaceinvader and Urban Ginger

• By sj9966
      I nipped over last night to check the fire damage.
      The only building that was on fire is the St Mary's building (which was a nurses home not a care home as I have written in this report). It has suffered damage to the right hand side of the building but is not totally burned out.

There is a planning application submitted to demolish most of the buildings on the site including St Edwards. As far as I could see there has been no descision made on it yet.
      http://planning.northwarks.gov.uk/portal/servlets/AttachmentShowServlet?ImageName=253942
      I also found this on the net (link below), it gives the whole history and a detailed report on all the buildings. There is still some unseen stuff here notably the chapel within the former St Gerards Hospital which is now offices. If demo goes ahead I'm sure it will become more accesible. It will be a shame to see these buildings go as it's a great urbex site imo.

• Guest Dubbednavigator
      By Guest Dubbednavigator
      Hi All
      As much as we all hate to see our beloved shrines of dereliction, they all eventually either get ripped down or converted
      A lot of these are good, and a lot of them are very, very bad
      What are the best ones you have seen?
      My favourite has to be Nethernene on the hill. Located just down the road from cane hill
      Its a beauty

Hall

Admin

Water tower